Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 17:26   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpeed View Post

I would rather a boat a little more geared towards racing, you can always power down, but who knows when you may need the extra know or so.
Ooops. I did not get until now that you are going to race. Well then probably a J will be fine. I met a couple in a J-35 and they swore by the boat. Off course - not the Souther Ocean but rather the easiest route (s.c. Coconut Milk Run = trade winds route). But maybe there is a way to make a J 'southernized'.

There were only two onboard but the boat was very well laid-out. The pain was that to keep her going they had to go thru the normal racing routine: wind changes - sails change. Sometimes up to 10 times a day (their claim, maybe a bit exaggerated but more likely not). But they averaged 140 on many long crossings - not too bad for such a small boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 17:35   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpeed View Post
I have looked at the First series. Looks interesting, but I don't know if it's a ocean-going world circumnavigating yacht. Are you referring only to the older design?
The Firsts are like J, except I have seen more quality in old/old J's and X's than in old Firsts. The newer Firsts look better built. (But it will take some time before we can make any sound judgment on the newer Firsts vs. the older ones.

Then again I have seen an old, big First (probably 42 or thereabout) and she was very well built - I would guess a different designer too. I liked it a lot, but it was way to big for an average single-hander.

b.
Old 10-05-2010, 18:31   #48

I don't know how to specify it properly I don't want a race boat, I don't want a cruising boat. I would like a performance cruiser a little more geared towards performance. I hope this specifies it better. As for the J, I like the design, but it seems like a little too low displacement and a little too much of a racer. I don't want constantly change sails, but at the same time averaging 5 knots rather then 6-8 while tuning constantly doesn't bother me. Does anybody know about the Hanse? It's pretty, theres one on youtube doing 15 knots and it has good displacement/storage. It is also affordable brand new. It seems to good to be true, so if is as good as I think it is, please clarify this.
Thanks for the replies, and I am sorry I haven't specified the requirements more, as I don't know what balance I should get. I am thinking of doing the tradewinds route. It seems safer and more leisurely, but still enough of a challenge.
SouthernSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 22:54   #49

Hmm. Make up your mind. You wanted to do a southern ocean sponsored round the world solo non stop. Two questions occur. How much sailing have you done? Who are you trying to impress? Fantasies of a swash-buckling adventure are fine and not unusual but don't warrant much of my time frankly. Like if you were serious and had a real proposition you would probably do a good deal of research first amongst many many threads on what boat etc. ps re route antartica to stb south africa and south america to port.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:28   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If you take a look at the very 1st non stop 3 capes RTW you'll see that everyday boats are capable of this.. even the 20yr old wooden winner Suhali.... RKJ's boat.
Your reasons for doing this have not been stated but your unlikely to break any records....
So my advice is go for a reasonably strong boat and dont do anything stupid... the nightmare passage is round the Horn.. this has been done in marine ply Bobcats and a variety of other vessels... but the percentages are in your favour in the death vs success ratio's.
Your main choices are Fin or Full keel and type of rig.
As to your statement that all you need is a hole to sleep in leads me to assume your voyaging/days at sea experience is limited and your solo stamina untested... things look great on UTube or a TV Doc with selected cuts but then reality is something else... the "I can do that.. gi us a boat" soon goes out of the window.
Because we only SEE hi tech boats do this we assume thats whats needed.. lottsa dosh and technoligy.. but there's as many, if not more boats gone round with none of the HO HA... that would come under the class of family coastal cruisers.
In 96 I met a 78yr old french guy in an Aloa 28 who'd 'Done the Round' 5 times in his boat... he was addicted to it.. unsung hero's mate..
Take what you have and do it... the biggest hurdle is logistics.
This is where I differ.. you could do it on 50k if you wanted.. and knew boats.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Like if you were serious and had a real proposition you would probably do a good deal of research first amongst many many threads on what boat etc. ps re route antartica to stb south africa and south america to port.
Chris.. he may be considering against the prevailing elements... or the 1st reverse circumnav.... in which case go for a canoe stern.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:38   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

What you want is a 30' Seadog mate

Built like a brick shithouse and with the peformance to match A couple have been RTW. One even bounced off NZ, South Island.

For $200k I might even let you have mine..............

Or for a bit more I could maybe help find you a 21' Corribee
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:58   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sweet looking boat David.. and an excellent rep to boot...
The aft cabin would make an excellent 'sea cave'...
As to the Corribee... a bit too light.. but I could find him one of these...
its 15 inches longer.. heavy displacement and fast...

Dunno tho'... considering he's looking at Hanse's comforts a lot higher up the list than claimed....

Old 11-05-2010, 11:05   #54

Hanse

Well, if this is what your heart desires ...

They are pretty light displacement. A main-stream, mass market boat.

If I were to go for a light boat it would definitely be more on the J-boats / X-Yachts wing than on the Bavaria / Hanse one.

Then again all depends on intended use. Bavarias are great weekend boats.

b.
Old 11-05-2010, 13:50   #55

This reminds me of one Annapolis boat show that I attended in 1982 or 1983, that I went aboard a Fast Passage 39 named Moonshine. Francis Stokes had just sailed it in a single handed around the world race, in stock condition, with the only modification being oversized standing rigging. He was on board for the boat show and I asked him how the boat did; he replied that the boat did fine, but the southern ocean was no place for a 39' boat.
The only point to my message is that the southern ocean is nothing to take for granted. I'm not so sure about a 32' - 34' boat.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 15:04   #56

Thanks for the suggestions, and I have been reconsidering a lot. I was asking about the Hanse because it "seems" nice, and I could have a new boat in the price range. I would like a newer boat, but if I find the right boat, it could be from the 40's. And I definately understand that a boat so small doesn't belong in the Southern Ocean now, thank's for clarifying that. I have been reconsidering a lot of the trip, I don't know if I really want to non-stop it anymore, the Southern route doesn't seem like the best optin anymore either. I understand you to tell me to make up my mind, and I am trying. I just have been thinking a lot recently. Thanks for all the suggestions, and I still would appreciate more. And about room, I know I need more, it was just saying that I don't need much.
Old 11-05-2010, 15:08   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
32 - 34 ft and smaller boats have gone everywhere.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 15:58   #58

Yes, I understand that. I just think that going bigger a couple of feet opens a lot and can add comfort in many ways. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 11-05-2010, 16:04   #59

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Im suprised that the Beneteau Figaro has not been mentioned,designed to race offshore solo,big enough for i guy and fast. I would not want to take a J35 too far from land,most of them have been raced hard for 20plus years and were poorly built to begin with and have wet cores,they are great sailing boats but are at their best with a large crew on the rail,the j105 are not generally as fast but probably faster and easier to sail solo.Where are you located?
Steve
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 17:10   #60

I haven't heard of the design, thanks for suggesting it. I will take your advice on the J into the consideration. I thing that the Hanse is still on the top of my list, but I don't know enough about it at the time being, and I still haven't seen enough options to decide on anything. I live on the Southern East Coast, may I ask why you would need to know this (since it is planned to circumnavigate)?