Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 21:02   #1

Challenge: Smaller Boat, Singlehanded, Southern Route, Non-Stop

Challenge: Find a boat within the 32-34 foot range that is not only seaworthy, a good performer for safety reasons
Goal: Sail unnassisted, non-stop around the world taking the southern route.
Is this route to dangerous for such a boat?
The size is a limit because I don't want to handle anything larger myself.
What boat would you choose?
Needs:
Size (32-34ft)
Speed
Seaworthy
Storage
Able to be Singlehandled
Less then 200k

Those are some basic needs, what would you do in this situation?
SouthernSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 21:11   #2

Ask Jessica she is just about to finish doing this. (congrats to Jess)
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 21:16   #3

Thanks for responding so fast. I have been following Jess, but didn't really think she would have time to reply to anything, considering her journey will finish in a week. Is her boat actually a performance boat? If so, I wasn't aware. To add more needs, space isn't what I want/need, storage is. For space, I need a small berth, a head, and a galley. I was wondering if in this price range, would it be better to have a boat designed? I don't really want to wait, but if it would be better, I could make it happen.
Old 07-05-2010, 21:50   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
200k will buy a lot of plane tickets.
Old 07-05-2010, 22:25   #5

That is very true, but airplane rides make me sick (don't forget the fact that I love sailing)
Old 08-05-2010, 10:53   #6

Boat: Cape Dory
What do you mean by a "performance boat" or "speed"? There are plenty of boats under 200k that are solid cruising boats but unless you are thinking of a boat which will plane and surf you are going to be confined to hull speed -- and so limited by your boat length. Same goes for seaworthiness. If you want to sail in big seas in the southern ocean, your hull length is an inescapable part of the seaworthiness equation (risk of broaching among other things). If you are talking about a racing boat that planes then you start to hit limits in that most will be larger than the size range you set out. More importantly, if someone were seriously considering this, a planing boat requires a attentive and skilled crew and more expensive equipment to manage. I assume that you don't bring those attributes to the table since you are confining the size to 32-34' in order to singlehand. Racing boat? Maybe an Open 40 (I don't know what they cost used). Cruising boat? At under 200k -- take your pick.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:33   #7

Thanks for the reply, and to better clarify what I would like: I want a boat with enough speed to escape storms. Otherwise, I could care less. Speed is safety for me, and I want this to be as safe as possible. Would anybody here consider taking a c&c 32 round? It seems like it has good performance, but I don't know if it would be easy to handle for hours, days, and months on end singlehanded.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39   #8

Why do you want to sail non stop. Seems like it would be much more doable and pleasurable if you included some stops along the way. While I am a monohull guy I would recomend a fast tri. But a tri wouldn't like carrying 6 months of provisions. So stopping in ports along the way would be a much better and easier to do in my way of thinking. Buy a $125,000 boat and use the other 75 thou for rerig and outfit.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:45   #9

I understand both points. I actually considered a trimaran, but for my size range they aren't considered "bluewater boats" And I don't plan on stops because this will be a sponsored trip. I won't miss out though, in the future, I plan on taking a leisurely cruising circumnavigation on an f-39. Also, how about an x-yachts x-34. I haven't decided whether I want to be monohull or multihull person yet, but for this trip it will be a monohull.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54   #10

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpeed View Post
Thanks for the reply, and to better clarify what I would like: I want a boat with enough speed to escape storms. Otherwise, I could care less. Speed is safety for me, and I want this to be as safe as possible. Would anybody here consider taking a c&c 32 round? It seems like it has good performance, but I don't know if it would be easy to handle for hours, days, and months on end singlehanded.
Then you are talking about a cruising boat -- not a high tech race boat. You may get different opinions on this, but I don't think an extra 1/2 knot makes a bit of difference for that sort of sailing (and for a significant amount of the time you'll be overpowered anyway). I don't think escaping storms is a realistic goal in a 33' monohull. If it were me, I'd be thinking moderate displacement; long fin w/ skeg to modified full keel; excellent ultimate stability numbers; nothing too beamy. I'd also think real hard about the 32-34 range. The shorter the LOA, the more conservative I'd want to be in design. But, if the voyage is non-stop, why confine the size for single handing? The challenge singlehanding a larger boat is in tight confines -- by definition, the boat will in open water except for the first and last days. Something around 38-42' seems an awful lot more capable and able to take better care of the crew (the crew's comfort will determine whether you can continue on) while not surpassing the ability to manage the boat handle sails and the like.

I've never had the $$$ to seriously look at 200K boats so I don't know the stats, but look at the Perry designed Fast Cruisers. Sweet looking boats. Then do a search for Carl's Sail Calculator and you can input boats you like and learn about the different statistical measures of boat performance and stability and start to get an idea of what others are similar and dissimilar (apples to apples and oranges to oranges).
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15   #11

Some of the older X boats may also be suitable and cheaper. You are going to have to carry more water or a water maker, That is going to mean more power (water maker) which means generater and more fuel. That is why you had best keep a big reserve for outfitting.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27   #12

Yeah, a watermaker will definately be needed. I am also planning on a windvane and solarpanels. I have found for singlehanded for such long times, my body would be under great fatigue, and under this fatigue I would much rather be handling sails of a smaller boat.
I don't want a full on race boat, but not an extremely slow boat. Outrunning storms won't always be possible, but more becomes possible with a faster boat.
Now, to the original question, what boats would you choose?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:28   #13

Check out the J/105:

Introduction

But I'd still take Jessica's S&S 34 with the custom mast that has proven to be unbreakable after 6 knockdowns and a complete capsize.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:34   #14

I was also looking into the j boats, but I wasn't sure if they are recreational race boats or long term, ocean-crossing, performance cruisers. Thanks for clarifying this. I will look into them. How are they storage wise?
Old 08-05-2010, 13:03   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpeed View Post
. I will look into them. How are they storage wise?

With only one person on a boat there is always storage space.

There is no boat that will outrun a southern ocean storm.

Someone mentioned an Open 40. Thats a great selection. If you know the boat then you will appreciate it.
That sort of voyage is restricted to those that know what they are up to (or those with a strong support crew) so its probably not going to help by us giving you opinions on what you would already know.

As mentioned there are few boats better in that size range than the S&S 34 which I raced in the late 1970's for one long race on the east coast of Australia, I think it was a South Solitary Island race, one of the longer ones on the schedule.

Someone once mentioned to me that if you want to play in Bass Strait to go buy a yacht built on the lines of a Tasmanian fishing boat. So its probably recommendable to look at boats built there, New Zealand or South Africa.

Good luck

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote