Old 11-05-2010, 18:15   #61
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpeed View Post
I haven't heard of the design, thanks for suggesting it. I will take your advice on the J into the consideration. I thing that the Hanse is still on the top of my list, but I don't know enough about it at the time being, and I still haven't seen enough options to decide on anything. I live on the Southern East Coast, may I ask why you would need to know this (since it is planned to circumnavigate)?

Well the US Beneteau's are built down your way or thereabouts.. why don't you pop down and take a look... sure as hell beats Bavaria/Hanse...
Personal experience..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 18:30   #62

I'm not trying to sound mean, but what are your reasons for saying this? What seperates them? Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

Old 11-05-2010, 19:03   #63

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I should have stated that the Figaro is designed not just to race offshore solo but to race across oceans.I only asked your location as if you were in Aus or NZ for example it would make sense to be thinking of boats available locally although i think you would need to look to Europe for a Figaro.
Steve.
Old 11-05-2010, 19:05   #64

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Personal choice... two Beneteau's solo Carib to Europe... but solo non-stop I'd choose none of the three... and I'd go for steel..

Born To Be Wild
Old 11-05-2010, 19:09   #65

As for the Figaro, getting a boat in Europe would be fine, it would be good to cross and get to know the boat. As for Boatman, I haven't dealt with steel, so can you fill me in with your opinion of why you would go with it?
Old 11-05-2010, 19:31   #66

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

lol... security.. things bounce off not through...
There's a lot of solid crap out there... and more each day.. especially down south

Born To Be Wild
Old 11-05-2010, 20:23   #67

hmmm... what about ovni's? (they're aluminum)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:17   #68

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
hmmm... what about ovni's? (they're aluminum)
A lovely boat.. I have several friends who are owners... they're stronger than grp but I'm not an authority on their impact resistance.. maybe someone on here can educate us... though I doubt they're as strong as steel...

Born To Be Wild
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
puzzled

Hi,

So what is the temporarily ultimate plan now? Southern Ocean or Coconut Milk Run? Or something else?

Jumping from Figaro to Ovni to Hanse is like comparing apples with plums and then again with bananas. You want more precise answers - form more precise questions/plans. And Figaro is not a cruising boat by design either.

How much experience do you have? And what sort of experience - racing o cruisig or both? If you have no racing background then why not stay away from the racing wing of the portfolio?

A Ovni would be very high on my cruising designs list - they sail well, they can access nice spots (lifting keel=shallow draft). They are alloy, well built, good lay-out in/out. They have been as far south as Patagonia (and I bet further out too). BUT they are not cheap. I mean NOT cheap.

If you feel too sexy for an Ovni then get yourself a Cigala - same boatyard, just the more racy thing (Alubat-France)

barnie
Old 12-05-2010, 08:39   #70

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

LUST... not envy...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi,

A Ovni would be very high on my cruising designs list - they sail well, they can access nice spots (lifting keel=shallow draft). They are alloy, well built, good lay-out in/out. They have been as far south as Patagonia (and I bet further out too). BUT they are not cheap. I mean NOT cheap.

If you feel too sexy for an Ovni then get yourself a Cigala - same boatyard, just the more racy thing (Alubat-France)

barnie
An Ovni's way sexy enough for me Barnie... one of the few boats I do experience lust for...

Born To Be Wild
Old 12-05-2010, 09:28   #71

Boat: Oday30-B24
Quote:
I would like a performance cruiser a little more geared towards performance. I hope this specifies it better...
Having been afflicted with your ambition of a solo rounding of the southern capes for many decades, I can sympathize, so I’d first say study, study, study… However (BIG “however…”), as you can see from the responses, no one thinks this is any small undertaking – but the fact that there are 100 reasons against for every reason for, only means you should be aggressively cautious… Aggressively impetuous stands a high chance of getting yourself hurt, while unthinkingly over-cautious may leave you sitting in front of the computer, pecking out your hopes on a keyboard rather than living them… ask me how I know.

Nonetheless, the boat that is right for you will be the one that earns your confidence – it may be slow or fast (although never fast enough to outrun southern ocean storms) it may be heavy or light, but it must be durable and confidence inspiring – there is no victory in pursuing such a recreation to the point of personal extinction… whatever, the boat must be the one that suits you… Never having pulled the trigger on the dream (although so long as my health holds, I’ll probably continue to harbor hopes…), I nonetheless think you’ve generally been given good advice on specific vessels… to my mind, what you have in mind could be done on half your proposed budget because the major investment you’ll doubtless have to make is dedicating the time to get confidant in your own skills, ability and resourcefulness – am not altogether pleased with what the pressures of sponsorship have done to many human endeavors over the past fifty years…

If you can fix most systems on your own boat yourself (in reasonable weather), and if your boat is sound (both equipment and capacities) to begin with, then the major mechanical portions of your equation are solved – the rest, depends on the skipper. While I’ve doodled away the years waiting for the perfect set of circumstances to begin “my” circumnavigation, I’ve pursed long-distance motorcycling to the tune of several 100K miles – although a far different endeavor, I’ve developed the notion that in these more far-ranging efforts, those who cannot rescue themselves (fix or repair any likely malfunction, breakage, mishap, etc., etc….) are needlessly burdening folks around them or running up my insurance costs… as a consequence, that is my personal standard – buy a boat, refurbish, restitch, refit and repair her myself until I know her backwards and forwards, then entertain the thought of taking off… Many others have done this before, so this is simply about personal enjoyment, little else… of course; there are worse reasons to go sailing…

The very best of luck…
Old 12-05-2010, 11:26   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
but still enough of a challenge.
I would be surprised if most people who have owned a sailing boat have not thought about a circumnavigation, even if only idley, fleetingly or simply to quickly discount the idea. So you are in good company

I can kinda relate to your original idea of doing it simply for the challenge. Not all things have to make sense to self or others. nor be a good idea

But on the "challenge" front why not change tack (geddit? ) to..................Sailing The Seven Seas! You will also be able to tailor your own voyage as their are about a dozen of 'em scattered around the world to choose from

Someone even started a thread about The Seven Seas on CF.com a few years back............if you want to do a search
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:51   #73
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sailing The Seven Seas! You will also be able to tailor your own voyage as their are about a dozen of 'em scattered around the world to choose from
Hello, David?

there are only 7 seas in The Seven Seas.

Of course I can remember which they are but I will allow Wiki[aedia to take the bow:
Quote:
the Mediterranean Sea, including its marginal seas, notably the Aegean Sea.
the Adriatic Sea
the Black Sea
the Red Sea, including the closed Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee
the Arabian Sea (which is part of the Indian Ocean)
the Persian Gulf
the Caspian Sea
I have done 3 of them and apart from the Adratic, thats all I shall clock up. Doing a turn about the Horn may be easier than dropping the pick along the east coast of the Persian. But well worth someone elses courage

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:08   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

there are only 7 seas in The Seven Seas.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-9-a-6331.html

Wiki may changed over the last 5 years But fortunately I like a cut & paste

"Medieval European and Arabic literature often spoke of the Seven Seas. Which seven seas are intended depends on the context. The "Seven Seas" was a commonplace phrase in many ancient literatures before it was taken up by the Greeks and Romans; it appears in a translation of one of Enheduanna's hymns to Inanna (Hymn 8), written about 2300 BC in Sumer (Meador 2001). The number seven has ancient magic of its own in many traditions, informing many groupings of seven. "Seven" as an indefinite number remains for a long time synonymous with "several", as in the Greek Seven Seas[1]. In Greek and Western culture, the "seven" seas were arbitrary and changed over time, varying depending upon the part of the world and the period of time. However, they were usually seven out of the following list of nine bodies of water:" Makes sense (to me ) that the 7 would have changed over time / between cultures - especially if the term 7 was used to mean "several"
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:14   #75
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Well, I have done 2 more then.

Plust the Adratic soon that makes 6 of 9

I'll settle for that.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: