Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 20:32   #31

Well if you have a commercial or private sponser take the boat they are willing to pay for. If you are paying your own way take the best boat you can afford. You could have the best boat in the world and still be

DID NOT FINISH
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:04   #32

Boat: Creekmore 34, 'Chandrika'
As you continue searching don't stray from basic sea-worthiness too far, such as tiller steering and a redundent rig and a solid hole in the water to which you will fill with money. Be involved in the entire outfitting process and it will pay back when things come up at sea, and they always do.
graham2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 15:16   #33

Thanks for all the replies. To tell you the truth, this trip won't be for two years. I plan on getting the boat now, so I can know it like the back of my hand. And I certainly have a passion, not to offend you, but I can't see anyone without a passion sailing around the world when it put's your life at risk and keeps you away from a social life for a long time. I am willing to sacrifice my life for my love. And about the size limit, I am deciding whether I can handle a bigger boat. This is why I am planning two years in advance. Thanks for your concern, help, and suggestions.
SouthernSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 19:27   #34

What route would be easier, I am considering the warmer route. And I have decided to change the size range from 32-38 ft if that helps with you guys giving me suggestions.
http://www.sydneyyachts.com/yachts/sydney-GTS37/GTS37-overview.html Do you like this design? Overview: Sydney 32 One Design by Sydney Yachts How about that? Am i way off on boats or do you think the are good designs that are capable? And if there is a boat you think I absolutely must consider thats maybe a foot above the range, show me anyways.
Old 09-05-2010, 19:51   #35

The Huzar 30 Range of Cruisers
quite small but looks promising.
sorry for so many posts, but getting deep into the google pages I am finding great designs.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49   #36

Boat: a sailing boat
I would not go the Huzar nor the Sydney way. One is a modern day paper boat, the other is a one design meant for racing with a couple of chunky lads on the rail.

You said singe-handedly, so look for a boat that has been designed for single-handing, not a crew of 5 trained and well fed guys, nor for the weekend sailor that never ventures too far from his/her marina.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:11   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
This seems to be a common topic recently, there is another thread where a guy wants a single handed off shore boat, but under >$20k.

In either case I suggest that you read Singlehanded Sailing" the Experiences and Techniques of the Lone Voyagers - Richard Henderson

He describes the boat you are looking for. About 32', heavy displacement, cutter, etc.

I find mine fits the bill and is well within your price range.

Here is a sister ship but without the sprit and cutter rig Ted recommends.
1983 Murray Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And another with the pulpit:
1984 Murray Custom Built Steel Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

or

1990 Brewer Murray Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If aluminum turns you on:
1990 Custom Ted Brewer Mistral 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And if you are feeling rich:
2002 Ted Brewer Goderich 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Lots of luck
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27   #38

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpeed View Post
What route would be easier, I am considering the warmer route. And I have decided to change the size range from 32-38 ft if that helps with you guys giving me suggestions.
http://www.sydneyyachts.com/yachts/sydney-GTS37/GTS37-overview.html Do you like this design? Overview: Sydney 32 One Design by Sydney Yachts How about that? Am i way off on boats or do you think the are good designs that are capable? And if there is a boat you think I absolutely must consider thats maybe a foot above the range, show me anyways.
Any boat designed for the riggors of off shore racing and proven itself in races as the Admirals Cub, will surely put up with what a cruiser will put it throu.. I'm one that believes theres comfort in speed.. like a "Gyro" effect.. A fat bodyed racer is not only a "Mover and Shaker" she's a comfortable boat to be on as the winds pick up..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 13:38   #39

Thank you for noticing that, I am not 6 "well-eating" men. I would rather a boat a little more geared towards racing, you can always power down, but who knows when you may need the extra know or so.. I am still looking at designs, so if you guys can contribute anything, please do. Thanks for the suggestions, hpeer and thanks for the input from the rest of you.
Old 10-05-2010, 13:55   #40

I'm kinda partial to the "FIRST" series of the beneteau's...and ours is equepted to opperate singlehanded.. maybe a little larger than what you're looking for but a great boat.. Ours is an 83.. many early off-shore racers out there still in great shape and ready to cruise..
Old 10-05-2010, 15:19   #41

I have looked at the First series. Looks interesting, but I don't know if it's a ocean-going world circumnavigating yacht. Are you referring only to the older design?
Old 10-05-2010, 15:35   #42

How are Hanse's? Such as the 375, they look nice and are said to be singlehanded. Are they seaworthy, have I heard a bunch of junk?
Old 10-05-2010, 15:40   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpeed View Post
I have looked at the First series. Looks interesting, but I don't know if it's a ocean-going world circumnavigating yacht. Are you referring only to the older design?
depending on what the budget is, be it an older or newer.. The FIRST 38 of the early 80 was not only a great racer but also a world cruiser.. as Andy and Liza Copeland used with their 3 sons and documented in books and videos..
We, as well as others on the forum have a FIRST42 and are cruising.. friends of ours are using a newer 42S7 for their cruising and they love it..
in the smaller boats as the 30s, my only concern would be a weight issue, as with ours, we can load it down with a couple thousand pounds of weight and its a small percentage, but taking a smaller boat and adding the 2k in weight, the percentage of "stores" compared to the weight of the boat, the percentages changes..
You'd almost have to dig into the weights of the boats you're looking at and figure in the amount of stores you'll add and see if the percentage will change the way the boat handles....
I ran across this a few years ago as I was racing a J-24.. was thinking about doing the Single Handed Transpac as I raced with the "Single Handed Sailing Society" out of San Francisco with it, but with a time line of 16 days in a crossing, the additional weight added for stores, we would change the way the boat handled..
Old 10-05-2010, 17:02   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

1981 Santa Cruz Racer Cruiser Sail New and Used Boats for Sale

$180,000 for the refit/upgrades....OR

1985 Aloha 8.5 Racer/Cruiser Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -=

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 17:25   #45

So far the list is:
J/35
Hanse 375
Beneteau First 35 (?)
x-34
Dufour Perfomance 34 (?)
S&S 34
And a few others that I honestly can't think of at the moment.
Thanks to all of you who have helped; suggestions are still appreciated.