Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Lifes a Bitch innit.... but what the.....#*
Chill out n have a little boogie...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
I don't think a trailer sailor is an option for me, unless I ditch the trailer. I'd have to buy a truck, which would be the lesser of two problems. The other challenge being there is no where I can put a 25' boat plus truck where I live. My one bed-room apt. in So Cal doesn't come with a 35' parking space.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 12:44   #92

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
O'day 37 centre cockpit

The above boat is on e-bay in St Maarten. Needs interior work but engine (working), sails etc are all there. The bid has reached $200 with 6 days to go. If you can handle some woodwork its already in Paradise. Go for it!!
Old 29-03-2010, 14:08   #93

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
I don't think a trailer sailor is an option for me, unless I ditch the trailer. I'd have to buy a truck, which would be the lesser of two problems. The other challenge being there is no where I can put a 25' boat plus truck where I live. My one bed-room apt. in So Cal doesn't come with a 35' parking space.
With summer picking up you can get quite a bit of sailing done by doing weeknight racing. Many of the local yacht clubs will have beer can races. Redondo Beach YC, Del Rey YC, Newport Beach YC all have races that you might be able to get a ride on for free on a weeknight. They start about now. Also there are plenty of places where you can store your boat on dryland on a trailer and then use a hoist to put the boat in the water. This turns out to be quite a bit cheaper. As far as needing a truck you can rent one to get the boat to So Cal and then you won't need one anymore. There are lots of different ways to go sailing for next to nothing. When I was about your age I sailed from Mexico to Sydney Australia on $1500. It was on OPB (other people's boats) but what a nice graduation present to myself that was.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:11   #94

Quote:
I don't think a trailer sailor is an option for me, unless I ditch the trailer.... My one bed-room apt. in So Cal doesn't come with a 35' parking space.
YMMV, but outside storage for a trailer is usually cheaper than dock fees for a keelboat.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:35   #95

Quote:
I am a 24 year-old teacher (Math and Biology) living in southern California. I need a break from teaching and I want to sail around the world.

The challenge: I have only $15,000 cash saved up.

The challenge gets BIGGER: I have little sailing experience (merely ASA 101 and 103 certified).

Even BIGGER: I may have to single-hand it, but I am looking for a friend to go with me. For the sake of this brain-teaser, let's assume I am going to single-hand it.

My thoughts so far on meeting these challenges...

Budget
Give up alcohol (already done) - expensive luxury.
Hope to buy a seaworthy boat in LA for about $5k.
Live on the hook.
Eat rice and beans.
Learn to fish.

Experience
Sail up and down the So Cal coast for practice.
Once comfortable, sail to Channel Islands (do this all summer).
Weather in October is prime (regarding safety) to go around Baja tip.
Get more experience in Sea of Cortez.
From there, see how comfortable I feel with my experience - then either go to the Caribbean (for more practice) or head to Peru and follow Kon Tiki's route to make my first trans-oceanic passage.

I accept that there will be risk involved.

The main goal is to cruise for a year on $15k (including boat purchase). If I circumnavigate the globe, that is icing on the cake (very appetizing icing).

Everyone's thoughts and ideas...
I would bet heavily against the possibility of it working as you want. You've never been sailing off shore, so you have no clue as to what to expect. You might just be surprised how much of an adventure any of those "training" trips you mentioned could be. With a lot of luck and hardwork you could possibly make one or two of those "training" sails a reality..Around the world??? Not too likely...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:37   #96

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Short answer, with your stated exerience:
No.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 15:40   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Short answer, with your stated exerience:
No.
While greater experience is obviously (highly) desirable, it is not absolutely necessary. See e.g. Chay Byth or Tania Aebi.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 16:01   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I seem to remember a book many years ago(70's?) by a woman who rounded the Capes in a Bobcat with hubby and baby or something similar... everyone said they'd never make it... fools to try etc... it was not a non-stop... but they got pushed back a few times at the Maggelan Straits if memory serves me well...
Think her name was Pamela ... last name ???

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-03-2010, 18:03   #99

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
While greater experience is obviously (highly) desirable, it is not absolutely necessary. See e.g. Chay Byth or Tania Aebi.
No experience. No boat. (almost) No money.
I stand by my original statement.

Look, far be it from me to p1ss in another person's wheaties, but but how many of you knowledgeable, experienced and worldly-wise sailors could, if given $15,000 buy a boat and sail it around the world? (leaving aside the issue of whether you'd actually want to try). I'm guessing that we could count you on the fingers of an amputated foot...

Bear in mind, that unless you are gonna do it non-stop, a fair chunk of money is gonna be required for visas, customs etc at every place you visit, let alone anything else

My advice would be to spend 2k on a multi-stop around the world airplane ticket. Get a decent backpack, a small (1 person) tent, a sleeping bag and a decent jacket and go see the world for 12 months on the 9k you have left (allow at least 1 stop in South or Central America, at least 1 in SE Asia, and 1 out of Nepal, India, Tibet or China... you'll have fun and learn heaps. Then go back to work, knuckle down, work 2 jobs if necessary, join your local club and sail the beercan races for the next 5 years, while saving like a madman. Then buy a decent boat, fix it up and sail it for 5 years, then go....

... but I'm the square, conservative type.... your mileage may vary.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 18:15   #100

Boat: Farrier f27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
No experience. No boat. (almost) No money.
I stand by my original statement.

Look, far be it from me to p1ss in another person's wheaties, but but how many of you knowledgeable, experienced and worldly-wise sailors could, if given $15,000 buy a boat and sail it around the world? (leaving aside the issue of whether you'd actually want to try). I'm guessing that we could count you on the fingers of an amputated foot...

Bear in mind, that unless you are gonna do it non-stop, a fair chunk of money is gonna be required for visas, customs etc at every place you visit, let alone anything else

My advice would be to spend 2k on a multi-stop around the world airplane ticket. Get a decent backpack, a small (1 person) tent, a sleeping bag and a decent jacket and go see the world for 12 months on the 9k you have left (allow at least 1 stop in South or Central America, at least 1 in SE Asia, and 1 out of Nepal, India, Tibet or China... you'll have fun and learn heaps. Then go back to work, knuckle down, work 2 jobs if necessary, join your local club and sail the beercan races for the next 5 years, while saving like a madman. Then buy a decent boat, fix it up and sail it for 5 years, then go....

... but I'm the square, conservative type.... your mileage may vary.
There are more experienced sailors than me but, as in my post my 15K would go alot further by hitching a ride or two to do the circumnavigation. You could have a good time and have money to support that and not have to try to keep that boat afloat and moving.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 21:44   #101
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
another good book is (I think) Little Dove.
The guy was young, an Aussie mountineer who wrecked his hand so decided to go sailing. A real nutter who would take the wheel for 24 hours straight just to prove he could do it.

Sailed Aust to Chilean Fiords in attrocious weather whilst searching out and fixing all the rattles below. I like my rattles. I know I have beer in the fridge cos I can hear it rollin round, There still honey in the cupboard!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 06:16   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
another good book is (I think) Little Dove.
The guy was young, an Aussie mountineer who wrecked his hand so decided to go sailing...
Perhaps, but Robin Lee Graham co-wrote “Dove”, about his 1965 through 1970 circumnavigation (solo, with stops).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dove.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	14575  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 09:42   #103
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"While greater experience is obviously (highly) desirable, it is not absolutely necessary. See e.g. Chay Byth or Tania Aebi. "
A good point, but as TA wrote in one of her first articles about the trip, she nearly died en route from her departure to Bermuda, because she had no idea of how to use the sextant and her landfall was primarily made with the grace of the gods.
So as Dirty Harry said "Do you feel lucky today? Do ya?" Hell of a way to go to sea.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 10:59   #104

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[FONT=Georgia]
I cant be assed to do it again....lol
I think that says it all...
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 11:29   #105
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
I think that says it all...
Your an ex journalist arent you.... LMAO

Tags
round the world