Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 15:29   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
No experience. No boat. (almost) No money.
I stand by my original statement.

Look, far be it from me to p1ss in another person's wheaties, but but how many of you knowledgeable, experienced and worldly-wise sailors could, if given $15,000 buy a boat and sail it around the world? (leaving aside the issue of whether you'd actually want to try). I'm guessing that we could count you on the fingers of an amputated foot...

Bear in mind, that unless you are gonna do it non-stop, a fair chunk of money is gonna be required for visas, customs etc at every place you visit, let alone anything else

My advice would be to spend 2k on a multi-stop around the world airplane ticket. Get a decent backpack, a small (1 person) tent, a sleeping bag and a decent jacket and go see the world for 12 months on the 9k you have left (allow at least 1 stop in South or Central America, at least 1 in SE Asia, and 1 out of Nepal, India, Tibet or China... you'll have fun and learn heaps. Then go back to work, knuckle down, work 2 jobs if necessary, join your local club and sail the beercan races for the next 5 years, while saving like a madman. Then buy a decent boat, fix it up and sail it for 5 years, then go....

... but I'm the square, conservative type.... your mileage may vary.
Oh, I agree with you. I too think he has doesn't enough money, at least to do the trip in anything approaching reasonable comfort. But your original post focused only upon his lack of experience: which is not an absolute barrier.

FWIW, I think that before heading off on a lengthy cruise he would be well advised to knuckle down for a couple of years of saving money and building experience close to home. He hasn't been working long, and teachers enjoy lots of vacation time, so I would not think that option would be an undue hardship. At any rate, it certainly strikes me as preferable to doing everything on a shoestring and likely settling for an underequipped boat in questionable condition. But he is free to make his own choices.

Kids these days ... they want everything NOW! So much for deferred gratification.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 16:40   #107

Quote:
No experience. No boat. (almost) No money.
I stand by my original statement.

Look, far be it from me to p1ss in another person's wheaties, but but how many of you knowledgeable, experienced and worldly-wise sailors could, if given $15,000 buy a boat and sail it around the world? (leaving aside the issue of whether you'd actually want to try). I'm guessing that we could count you on the fingers of an amputated foot...

Bear in mind, that unless you are gonna do it non-stop, a fair chunk of money is gonna be required for visas, customs etc at every place you visit, let alone anything else

My advice would be to spend 2k on a multi-stop around the world airplane ticket. Get a decent backpack, a small (1 person) tent, a sleeping bag and a decent jacket and go see the world for 12 months on the 9k you have left (allow at least 1 stop in South or Central America, at least 1 in SE Asia, and 1 out of Nepal, India, Tibet or China... you'll have fun and learn heaps. Then go back to work, knuckle down, work 2 jobs if necessary, join your local club and sail the beercan races for the next 5 years, while saving like a madman. Then buy a decent boat, fix it up and sail it for 5 years, then go....

... but I'm the square, conservative type.... your mileage may vary.
hell i'm not the square conservative type but i think this is a fantastic idea! what a great, thoughtful post!
Old 30-03-2010, 17:43   #108

Quote:
Look, far be it from me to p1ss in another person's wheaties, but but how many of you knowledgeable, experienced and worldly-wise sailors could, if given $15,000...
But there you go...p!ssing away...

I would suggest that the only people who would know anything about sailing around the world on very little money are NOT on this forum. They're out there somewhere, and have no time for academic discussions of whether or not what they are obviously doing is possible or reasonable. Probably no blogs either. Probably can't Google them.

OP, try it and find out. Report back later.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 18:19   #109
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
They're out there somewhere, and have no time for academic discussions of whether or not what they are obviously doing is possible or reasonable. Probably no blogs either. Probably can't Google them.
I dunno. I've never seen anyone on a $5K boat. Lots of people are doing it tough on much much higher budgets. I was at a marina with a suicicde because the money ran out and the engine crapped it self. The other cruisers woke one moring to see this guy strung up the mast.
Marina towed his boat the toher side of the bay and dumped it and the marina manager uses the dinghy and OB as the marina work boat.

So maybe a few reality stories are necessary...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 19:53   #110
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I dunno. I've never seen anyone on a $5K boat. Lots of people are doing it tough on much much higher budgets. I was at a marina with a suicicde because the money ran out and the engine crapped it self. The other cruisers woke one moring to see this guy strung up the mast.
Marina towed his boat the toher side of the bay and dumped it and the marina manager uses the dinghy and OB as the marina work boat.

So maybe a few reality stories are necessary...

Maybe the guy had other issues folks were not aware of... did you talk to him or know him... or is this another classic sailors tale...
It was a dark and stormy night and the Captain of the ship said
"Arrr Jim lad.. Swing the lantern and tell us a yarn.." and the yarn began like this... "It was a dark and stormy night....."
Its unlikely anything posted on here is going to change his mind... if anything people saying it cant be done is only going to reinforce his determination to prove you wrong...
As I said in an earlier post... Give it a go... but once you start out you''ll find your perspectives will change..
I can relate to where he's at... he woke up one morning and possibly saw 30yrs of the same ahead, maybe it freaked him a little... maybe he feels he hasn't 'lived' yet...
Its a bug that's in his system that needs to be got rid of before he can move on... some folks are like that..
Give him constructive alternatives like Weyalan.. or what faults to look out for on various boats he's considering....
Quit with the sarcastic superior put downs..

Weyalan.... gimme $15k... I'll give it a go... know the boat I'd buy.. routes already worked out lol
Still got one toe on my amputated foot

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 20:41   #111

Boat: Farrier f27
OK, I like the way this thread is going!!!! This is hilarious, I'm enjoying every slant that's thrown up here!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 23:22   #112
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Give him constructive alternatives like Weyalan.. or what faults to look out for on various boats he's considering....
Quit with the sarcastic superior put downs..
Phil you are not the only person here who belittles my posts, no matter the content. One person the other day said I should not post because I am actually cruising and not just planning a cruise! However the great and wonderful thing about this forum is that there are people who do read my posts in the manner I have hoped and they are open minded about the ideas.

I write for anyone who wants to read my opinion, not for those who don't.

Yes, Phil, you should go for a long trip on a $5k boat with $10k funds. It would do you good.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 00:29   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
The OP asked for "Everyone's thoughts and ideas... "
That means folks who think its "no problem" to those who think its "no way".
Why do we feel the need to criticize the opinions and people giving them.
They are opinions...and are as numerous as are shades of grey.

I think we can accept that extremes in luck and personality types may add to the possibilities of success, and at the other extreme, some folks with very deep pockets and million dollar boats don’t get around the corner.

Bottom line is we can agree to disagree...but we are all ship mates here and need to steer clear of personal attacks.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 01:03   #114

I have been following this thread intently.

I also have plans of a circumnavigation on a boat of similar price with a good friend of mine. Figuring we split the bills my cash budget looks like it will be about $15k for myself and my friend has the same amount.

My sailing experience is limited, but I have the basics down pretty well and learn extremely fast.

What I think will strongly aid in my circumnavigation is all my other experiences and technical skills I have acquired along the way which are not limited to Wiring, fiberglassing, wood working, engine work, welding, machining, and oddly enough sewing.

I think it is very doable with the proper skills, and the willingness to work along the way. It is all about the journey the destination is not all that important to me.

And worst case scenario is I need to make an international phone call to family to buy me a plane ticket home, or I end up dead.

-Sean
funky_monkey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 05:26   #115
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Yes, Phil, you should go for a long trip on a $5k boat with $10k funds. It would do you good.

Mark....
Your damn right it would do me good... been a long wet, windy and cold winter stuck here in Fig de Foz waiting for the weather to return to "Normal"... just hoping someone will bang $15k on the table and challenge me to do it.. improve my quality of life loads.....LMAO
Hence my appearance on CF.. the good thing about this bar is I can sit around all day playing on the net with just the occasional 75cent beer or coffee and keep warmer than on the boat... but that's one of the joys of "Budget Boating"... the need to stand up straight or get warm now and then gets me out and about....
Mark.. your probably a really nice guy.. we just happen to be coming at things from polar opposites... guess it boils down to our individual life experiences...
I raise my bottle of Sagres to ya and wish you a continuing fair circumnavigation and hope you don't have to tighten your belt further..
I jest...I jest....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 31-03-2010, 05:43   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I dunno. I've never seen anyone on a $5K boat.
Sea of Cortez ... there 'kids' bobbing around there on boats that couldn't have been more than $1. And with all the 'repairs' are now $10. They were, in no way going to go around the world, that would cost several orders of magnitude more...like in the thousands...Our OP may only need to get to Mexico....that might just be the best place in the cruising wold for many people...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 05:49   #117

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
See if you can find Shane Acton's book, Shrimpy, or some similar title. Webb Chiles' book about his open boat trip is useful for the examples he gives of problems solved. Other small boat trips were made and documented by Patrick Elam, Gary Speiss, John Guzzwell, and John Caldwel to name a few. All good reads and full of ideas.

In the Caribbean we see many small to tiny boats with adventurers aboard, going places and having a good time. There is work along the way... under the table, so to speak.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 15:59   #118

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Hell, having fun with a $5k boat and $10k funds.... it would be difficult not to achieve that! I can think of a couple of local boats hereabouts that I could probably make a 5k offer on, and then go sail around Australia on for a while (including crossing Bass Strait ).

but that is utterly not the point. The thread is not about having fun witha 5k boat and a 10k budget... its about sailing around the world with a 5k boat and a 10k budget. Like I said... pick your route and add up the customs and visa and port charges for every place on your list.... that will take a sizeable chunk of your budget.

I'm certainly not saying that it can't be done, and I don't doubt that there are people out there crusing around the world in a relatively cheap boat, on a shoestring budget... but

Its like the old adage in the building "we can do it cheap, we can do it good, and we can do it fast - but you can only pick two of the aforementioned".... you can sail around the world on a cheap boat, you can sail around the world on a shoestring budget, you can sail around the world with zero experience - buy you can only pick two...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 19:12   #119

Boat: looking
jbosborn; meet Sailorkeddy, Sailorkeddy;meet jbosborn. There, now you have a boat + $15,000 and neither of you will have to solo. Sail west & teach ESL in Asia, to build the kitty. You can get to Asia on $ 15,000 and a boat... well? What are you waiting for? Go! If it doesn't work out, you're still young enough to drag your tail(s) back home. If you sink & drown, well, that's the choice you made. People seem to think that you're asking if this is advisable, jbosborn, not if it's possible. Yes, it is possible.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 20:06   #120
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

My haul anchor track... usually leaving behind people I like and it appeals to my sense of humour... plus it's what folks think I am... CRAZY.... lmao

Tags
round the world