Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2008, 12:42   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

pirate Challenge: Pirate Attack! Which Anchor is Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Are challenges done? Who's writing up the next one?
Ok, another challenge..........a bit different, but lets see how it goes..........

You are 21 again , but know what you now know about boats / life / beer and the opposite sex (or the same sex. whatever ).

Great Aunty Thelma has been really great. She has left you some money in her Will It's 2008, and you decide to sail off into the Wide Blue Yonder for as long as the money lasts. and you want this to be as longggggg as possible. Far is not neccessary - but would be cool!

Budget? Well, lets say she left you USD30k / GBP20k (to kinda match purchasing power at home - others can do their own Big Mac Index style currency conversion ). Not big, but IME at 21 nothing to be sniffed at, especially in 1 lump.

What would you do (or think you could reasonably do!) / where would you go / what would the money be spent on (boat / equipment / beer / whatever)............ and why.

Ok, a few more conditions:- Are you single? Up to you! But not married nor about to and no kids (i.e in a year or two it could be a different partner - so you may want to plan for that). Lets say you have finished your education (ok, might be 22/23 for some) and are probably not yet making big money, even if ok. and no savings (hey, you are 21!), but no debts either if you sold up ........you have up to 6 months to find a boat and leave port (remember, you know / have the skills you have now) so you would still have to work so can't spend 6 months on a fixer upper 24/7 (unless you want to live on your inheritance ). But you can add to the kitty from earnings during that 6 months - but only within reason!

Their is no "right" answer of course - the inspiration for the question comes from the many folk who appear on CF.com with all kinds of dreams and plans - and it just seemed an idea to write a newbie style question which folk could answer for themselves (with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight? ), without worrying about upsetting anyone from appearing to lecture and where you know the unwritten capabilities and thinking of the newbie - because it's you!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 19:52   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
It happened to me..

Well I went and bought myself a ticket
to the land of tall palm trees
good by Missoula, Montana
Hello Waikiki
As I got offa the airplane
Then I heard her say.

Wakawaka nooka knooka Wakwaka nooka Knooka

Would you like a "lei"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 07:38   #3

Boat: g-cat 5. m
And away we go!
Navigation: Previous Boat | Next Boat

Click on image to enlarge 39' Lindsey Globemaster Motor Sailor FINAL PRICE REDUCTION
  • Year: 1972
  • Current Price: US$ 10,000
  • Located In Palm City, FL
  • Hull Material: Fiberglass
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
  • YW# 66791-1745166
  • Sale Pending
courageous cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 07:51   #4

david thanks for starting a thread us newbe's can take part in.althouth name dosen't
Old 30-08-2008, 07:53   #5

draw you in. (still learning darn key board)
Old 30-08-2008, 08:53   #6
cruiser

If I remember 21 at all, and I was single, I would most definitely take the same path I had earlier:

Take the $30K and move to a place loaded with girls, find the right one (and a lot of wrong ones), then figure out the sailing stuff after I had her.

To me, sailing isn't the same without a nice, hot chick to do it with. I mean that's half the appeal - being waaay out there with a super hot girl and enjoying life.

I might be over-addicted to women, but I couldn't do it without one.

So yeah... I'd probably put some of the $30K down on an apartment in Manhattan again or near some college town or something like that.

I know this is bending the rules, but I have a habit of doing that anyway.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 08:55   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would imagine I am in the minority here but I would spend that same money on college, get a well paying job with my college education. I would then retire in twenty years or so knowing I have enough money put away to go cruising on a decent sized boat indefinitely.

I know...where is my sense of adventure?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 13:17   #8

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous cat View Post
And away we go!
Navigation: Previous Boat | Next Boat

Click on image to enlarge 39' Lindsey Globemaster Motor Sailor FINAL PRICE REDUCTION
  • Year: 1972
  • Current Price: US$ 10,000
  • Located In Palm City, FL
  • Hull Material: Fiberglass
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
  • YW# 66791-1745166
  • Sale Pending
Buy this boat then find someone who has 35K and wants a condo in Florida, put 15k down on the condo which you can now get for 75K if you look around the mortgage crunch victims in Florida and spend 6 months to 24 months (get a job as a private french or spanish teacher and take yoga classes to meet girls) in the condo till its value augments, sell the condo and the boat recuperate 10 to 25 K and buy a 150k house (worth 250k 12 months ago ) in the midwest, teach yoga to sensible young women, flip the house making an extra 50K, buy a piece of land in California....where they had the forest fires buy another boat live in it till the greenery grows back and everybody forgets its a lousy place to build a house( whilse taking sailing lessons to be a charter captain )and sell it for a million dollars. Go to Hawai, buy a boat and charter your boat through a European charter agency, meet a young french millionaress and retire on the Cote d'Asure with her and her younger sister.... with skiing in the french Alps.

You could also just invest it in blue chip and double your money in 7 years whilse taking yoga classes and charter captain courses on your salary as a stock boy at Walmart.

Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 13:40   #9

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
i'm currently in a similar situation to the hypothetical that was originally posted. I came into a lump sum of money that I had to funnel through my house. With my newfound equity in my house, I sold it ASAP, and got the money pretty much tax free. I had more than 30k, but it's all relative. Anyways, I moved to my boat (which i now live on), back in march, and am going to sail around the world on it, while filming documentaries about my journeys, trying to make money through tv deals and endorsements and what not. I'm 23, so this thread has some distinct similarities to my current situation. I say get the boat and go. ASAP.

trying to find a girl, and then figuring out the sailing part is the worst idea possible. start sailing, and the girl part will sort itself out. the WORST thing you could do is to find the girl, and be living a traditional land life, and then be like "ok, were going cruising now." it takes a special girl to live on a small boat, take solar showers on deck, spend days (or weeks, or months) at sea. With that said, your relationship should be in a cruising environment/ lifestyle from day 1. whatever you do, don't marry her. 21 year olds (or 23 year olds for that matter) aren't meant to get married. That's what your 30's are for. every single friend i had that got married under 25 either got a divorce, or regrets the hell out of it. EVERY SINGLE ONE. and the ones that say they are super happy got fat and live a really lame life.

i bought my boat, and have been outfitting it, repairing it, upgrading it, etc, for the past 5 months, with an intended departure date of Oct 1, headed for Hawaii, and then south. if you are 21, and have 30 G's, I say go for it!!! I quit my job, dropped out of college as a senior, and left my old life behind. nutting up and welcoming change, rather than fearing it was the best thing that I have ever done. Even if I sink the boat/ run out of money/ fail at the whole documentary thing, whatever, this has been the most rewarding experience of my life. absolute and complete freedom is what i have experienced for the past 5 months, and i can not go back.

recap: if you are 21, with 30 large, just go buy a boat. start cruising locally, working odd jobs, whatever, and decide if you wanna just stay local, go blue water, or whatever. go for it!!! do it!!!! it will change you forever; for the better!!! wrap it up, don't marry her, don't blow all your money on her.
Old 30-08-2008, 13:45   #10

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
The main point in the last post is FEAR. Thats what stops you from doing the right thing....which could be the wrong thing but will eventually lead to your death...same as the lame fat guy. the only difference is you will have lived not just coasted through life.
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 13:57   #11

Boat: Beneteau 49
put 20k down on a 100k 40ft boat, 10k in provisions. get 2 hot girls and a first mate, who are willing to pay their way and take off for to the Caribbean, down to venezuela, panama, south pacific, NZ, Austrailia, Bali, Thailand, India, Egypt, greece, malta, sicily, italy, france, spain, Ibiza, Verde Islands, Caribbean, and back home. Sell the boat and back to square one.
mauiboy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 14:44   #12

did you say girls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
If I remember 21 at all, and I was single, I would most definitely take the same path I had earlier:

Take the $30K and move to a place loaded with girls, find the right one (and a lot of wrong ones), then figure out the sailing stuff after I had her.

To me, sailing isn't the same without a nice, hot chick to do it with. I mean that's half the appeal - being waaay out there with a super hot girl and enjoying life.

I might be over-addicted to women, but I couldn't do it without one.

So yeah... I'd probably put some of the $30K down on an apartment in Manhattan again or near some college town or something like that.

I know this is bending the rules, but I have a habit of doing that anyway.

This was why I went to orange coast community collage
It was rated 10 years running as the best school at which to meet girls
Studied girls
oh and marine biology and girls
and physics and girls and chemestry and girls and the chemestry of girls...

Wait what was the original question?
Old 30-08-2008, 17:20   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

I know...where is my sense of adventure?
Ain't no right and wrong. At 21 I was well on the corporate ladder (bottom rung ) if I had "kept the faith" I would now have reached the dizzy heights of being somewhat unimportant. and now be working for some Germans I only gave up the corporate ladder thing at 28 in practice (albeit in reality I had stepped off it long before). And I only got off for health reasons. I was going insane ....But I am convinced that wandering around aimlessly with a bottle in my hand for way too much time, err, I mean "travelling the world and experiancing different cultures" has resulted in me actually earning more money and in a more enjoyable (relatively ) back on Planet Jersey....so I would say that certain things in life whilst seeming to be merely fun, can also have a tangible benefit back in the real world.

If I'd had USD30k at 21 I would have p#ssed it up against the wall. But spending it on an Austin Powers style shag pad near to a Campus sounds a tempter - I am assuming here that the US has a different class of Student to the UK that would make this an attractive proposition........but at 21 IMO stepping off the world for a couple of years ain't gonna do more harm than good to long term prospects, if someone has bit of nouse about them.........and IMO a boat would be a great way to do that - and even still look respectable on your CV.

Quote:
21 year olds (or 23 year olds for that matter) aren't meant to get married.
Said with some conviction

Quote:
don't marry her, don't blow all your money on her.
And it always seems such a good idea at the time
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 22:02   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniesimpson View Post

trying to find a girl, and then figuring out the sailing part is the worst idea possible. start sailing, and the girl part will sort itself out. the WORST thing you could do is to find the girl, and be living a traditional land life, and then be like "ok, were going cruising now." it takes a special girl to live on a small boat, take solar showers on deck, spend days (or weeks, or months) at sea.
Wise beyond your years. I predict a great sailing future for you.

Well, guess what? Happened to me. Grandma died and left me $23k. I had a job so I blew $20k on a wedding and honeymoon. What a dum@ss...

What would I do knowing what I know now?

Probably the same thing. I'm still a dum@ss...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 04:36   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have a friend who's opening line when women cozy up to him is "I am working my way DOWN the corparate Ladder, I drive a '72 Buick, and I work as a Security Guard.

I will post what he really does in generalities later...
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor