Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 15:42   #1

Challenge: Moisture Control

Does anyone have any advice on what type of silica sachets/ moisture abosorbing bags to use on board in salt air. we want to put them in our clothes drawers, vaccum bags of extra clothes, around the electrics etc. we definately need bags/sachets. i just didn't know if there are better ones to use for salt air/ moisture, before i go andorder a box of 100.
wandoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 15:58   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
This may be a stretch, but if you have a window manufacturer in your area, see if you can get the dessicant with which they fill the spacer in insulated glass units.
It looks like a mixture of kitty litter and silica gel, but has a broader absorbsion and drying range. Or so the warranty says!!
Old 19-11-2010, 05:47   #3

Any boating in warmer climates will , in time, drive a sane person to
purchase an airconditioner. OR.....you can watch the humidity rot your clothes.

The moisture absorbent just ain't up to the task....and in proximity to electrical can
migrate to contacts....throw it away. You can get a DC or AC unit for very little dough.........no brainer.
aychbawdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 06:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I found them to be a waste of time and money....
Clothes I put in an airtight bag after dry ironing/folding them... sorted into combinations I like... so its open a bag and there's my gear for the day....
I can fit a weeks bags/drawer.... same goes for sheets, towels etc... come out dry and smelling as fresh washed as they went in.
Electrics is different... I cut a ventilation slot over the main panel which used to condensate a lot around the connectors etc.... and that cured the problem...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 14:45   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Any desiccant is effective ONLY in its local vicinity in a moderately well-sealed container. A boat typically isn't "well-sealed". Having said that, save your money on the store-bought pre-packaged crap which isn't pure desiccant and buy large packages of calcium sulfate or preferably calcium chloride, both of which are true moisture absorbing compounds and will be much cheaper.

Fill a kitchen colander, placed in a bowl, with the material, change frequently as necessary and remove any moisture collected in the bowl.

It might help but the real solution is to save your money and effort and instead, ensure good ventilation.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 15:54   #6

Boat: grampian 26
moisture control

Calcium Chloride is one of the better desiccants. It is the same stuff used on gravel roads to control dust but that is the liquid form. You can buy it in 40 kilo bags as flake or prills. Yes 40 kilos is a bit much but it may be available in smaller quantities in your neck of the woods. I used to get mine at the co op but any farm supply store should do. CaCl will dry out leather and will corrode metal with a vengeance so be mindful of where dispose of it.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 17:00   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Has anyone tried Diatomaceous earth as a desiccant?
Good to kill ant too!!

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 02:51   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI
I use to have an Alloy boat, and condensation was a real problem, as the boat was closed up on its mooring during the week, trapping the moisture inside. Mid-week I used Calcium Cloride, and it worked well. It stopped that mouldy smell that occurs on closed up boats. I bought some household moisture absorbing packs from the supermarket (to get the containers) and then used Calcuim Cloride purchased from pool shop. Went through about 2 cups per week. It was good for a closed up boat, but not really and option for clothing areas like draws and cupboards, and definiately no good if underway.
The kitty litter appearance desiccant mentioned by Blue Stocking, I may be wrong but think is clay desiccant, and is great for use with clothing (no chemical smell). It is non-corsive, so also good for use near elctrical gear. It can be re-charged in the oven at relatively low temperatures (from memory 160 degrees). I have used it in house but not on boat. When I first purchased it, I thought they had given me kitty litter
MoorOrLess is offline   Reply With Quote