Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 15:11   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: is it possible?

The old saying in that area is 50, 40, 30 for depth to catch the counter current going south. 50 starts at the cape. You're experience with motor boats will most likely not get you there. Get the headsail, and then the insurance for towboat, or take a bus........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:22   #17

I definitely will make sure I at very least, buy a cheap out board...thanx
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:32   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyfish9906 View Post
No. I didn't but if its better then what im about to take on pleass let me know..lol
I sent you a message ..friend has a bristol 22 you can have for slip rent due..hes sailing north from Cape May when he calls back I will contact you ..the Bristol 22 is in Maine..my opinon is its a hell of a lot better than a Hunter 25 for what you are wanting to do..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:32   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

It is possible to make that trip stay close to shore and gulf stream will not bother you much. I would rather have a jib rather than main but it is what it is. You probably best not plan to do the trip solo where it will take a while to go 250 miles on a main and you may have to make a few stops, Some of us that have been sailing 50 years plus could sail into port but with no experience I would not suggest it so if you can get an engine of 5hp or larger it may be money spent well.. Don't know your plan once you get to boot harbor but if it is to grab a mooring and stay then you could sell the outboard once there.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:34   #20

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

You might want to get a VHF radio, you'll probably need it.

That Hunter didn't originally come with just a main, so I'd guess the jib was destroyed at some point, which would also make me suspect the main as well. Does the main have battens in it? Since you have no sailing experience, you probably aren't the person to judge if the main is on it's last legs as well. You might want to have someone look at it and your running and standing rigging.

There are a lot of other things that come to mind, but IMHO, no, this trip is not a good idea. That said, and as ZEE likes to point out life is an adventure to be lived.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:39   #21

Boat: C&C Newport 41

i think i missed the part about your limited experience and would like to re-consider my cautious encouragement.

maybe post here, or ask around your local marinas, and find a boat making the same journey. idk if that anyone would agree to tailgate given your expected speed but worth asking around.

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 16:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
I sent you a message ..friend has a bristol 22 you can have for slip rent due..hes sailing north from Cape May when he calls back I will contact you ..the Bristol 22 is in Maine..my opinon is its a hell of a lot better than a Hunter 25 for what you are wanting to do..DVC
Well u do know more then I do. And it sounds like better condition.....if u can get private msgs ill shoot u my number and thank u...I was about to say screw it and end up in over my head....
Most likely literally ...lol
Old 07-09-2011, 16:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman
It is possible to make that trip stay close to shore and gulf stream will not bother you much. I would rather have a jib rather than main but it is what it is. You probably best not plan to do the trip solo where it will take a while to go 250 miles on a main and you may have to make a few stops, Some of us that have been sailing 50 years plus could sail into port but with no experience I would not suggest it so if you can get an engine of 5hp or larger it may be money spent well.. Don't know your plan once you get to boot harbor but if it is to grab a mooring and stay then you could sell the outboard once there.
I plan on stayin in the keys honeing my sailing skills to be abel to some long time cruising. But I think I might have a better option thanks to this post...sorry if I scared any u old salts...
Old 07-09-2011, 16:52   #24

Boat: cabo rico 38

the way they used to do it without an engine was head north for the trades,
sail out to bermuda,
reach down into the carribean,
then ride the current around and back up to the keys.
i assume you don't want to spend a year at sea though.

done the trip down the coast a lot.
hang in tight inside the stream is good advice, but if it gets nasty
and you have no engine you're going to have to ride it out.

Big trouble comes when you hit hawke channel.
Stay outside and you are in the stream which is a no go headed west.
Stay inside and it can get tricky if the wind doesn't fill in and give you
good steerage in those confined quarters.
Pick your season carefully. In the summer you get becalmed with lots of
thunderstorms in that channel and you'll find yourself on a reef or aground in short order.

I wouldn't do it without an engine or without a longer route giving me some sea room.
but yeah, its possible.

good luck

g
gello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 22:17   #25

Coy...don't buy the boat. It may sound like a good deal now...it's not. You can get a 28-30 footer with inboard engine, full set of sails, etc.
Chect out, "Used boats for sale at auction/angel."
I picked up a Columbia 28 for $1,800
Most marinas have boats that have been
abandoned by their owners. Most times you can pick one up for $500. A used atomic 4 inboard engine used ( all A4’s are used) can cost up to $7000. One sail can cost $1000 used. Most small outboards just don’t have the power to push sailboat hulls around.
Buying a sailboat with no engine, and one sail is a bad deal even if it's free. Don't do it.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 22:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic
Coy...don't buy the boat. It may sound like a good deal now...it's not. You can get a 28-30 footer with inboard engine, full set of sails, etc.
Chect out, "Used boats for sale at auction/angel."
I picked up a Columbia 28 for $1,800
Most marinas have boats that have been
abandoned by their owners. Most times you can pick one up for $500. A used atomic 4 inboard engine used ( all A4’s are used) can cost up to $7000. One sail can cost $1000 used. Most small outboards just don’t have the power to push sailboat hulls around.
Buying a sailboat with no engine, and one sail is a bad deal even if it's free. Don't do it.
Thanx for the tip. The more I think about it it sounds like a crap deal. Just desperate to get the "ball rollin" on this. You would think 6 years of fishing would make me more patient but.....either way I hope to c u all out there some day
Old 08-09-2011, 07:28   #27

Coy, you wll find the right boat, and when you do you will fall in love with her...she will take you anywhere in the world. Find some boats near you and crew up for some day out free sailing lessions.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic
Coy, you wll find the right boat, and when you do you will fall in love with her...she will take you anywhere in the world. Find some boats near you and crew up for some day out free sailing lessions.
Thank you...the problem is I fall in love with every boat I see....lol I got something lined up possibly and its a hell of a lot safer then what I was about to attempt. But I do have to say im amazed at the amount of people who care enough to worry about my safety. All the fisherman I know would of just laughed and said good luck. Lol cheers to the sailing community ....can't wait to be apart of it.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:49   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Rather than towing insurance, a better investment is a small used outboard motor that you can hang on the stern with a bracket.
- - You cannot "sail" in the ICW, you must have a motor to transit lift bridges, therefore without any form of a motor you would have to do the whole trip "outside" in the ocean.
- - As others have posted, getting in and out of the various inlets when a tidal current is running would be near impossible. Not to mention trying to go south with a northbound current.
- - Depending upon the width of the boat, you would borrow a boat trailer and tow the thing down to the keys.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:57   #30

ONE sail and NO motor...

NOT a good situation.. If anything happens to the main you're drifting...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail