Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2011, 14:45   #16
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: How To Build A Bullet Proof Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Nothing you put inside will make it bullet proof - that requires steel plating on the outside...

Hey what was the name of he steel unsinkabloe boat that sunk on it's first trip? When I get more time I'll do a goggle search.

Old 11-10-2011, 14:56   #17

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Hey what was the name of he steel unsinkabloe boat that sunk on it's first trip? When I get more time I'll do a goggle search.
It didn't sink because of bullets... And there is no real hope for people who insist on sailing in really cold places...

If you are down to a "bear hull", consider putting in utility chases either behind cabinetry or under the sole - makes passing new connections so much easier. Also label both ends of wire and hose (#1, #2, etc an make up a list of what they do). And I have on occasion used a "reptilian" electrical panel configuration where several systems in one place - say the head - are routed back to a local panel rather than the main panel...

Michael

Old 11-10-2011, 15:03   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Bullet proof?

Maybe you can lay her up in kevlar?

I think bullet proof vests are made of Kevlar.

Also, Kevlar sail and rigging.

Do not forget the windows - maybe polycarbonate?

b.
Old 11-10-2011, 15:19   #19
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

You might consider using 1 wire hydraulic hose with JIC fittings for your fuel lines and connections to the fuel tank and the engine. On other hoses I use the stainless hose clamps that do not have the slotted holes in the band. When ever possible I use the best grade of hose or wire that I can afford. Heat shrink with adhesive inside for connectors, liquid electrical tape on electrical terminals.
Old 11-10-2011, 15:34   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I think there's a lesson in this thread: take care when you come up with a title and there's no limit on how many times people will use the same in joke in one thread.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:42   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Perhaps a change in header title might be in order?
Old 11-10-2011, 16:39   #22

less gimmicks
fewer thru-hulls
No compromise on space for wire and pipe routing.
Electrical substations as required.
Bigger anchor.
Chain - and plenty of it...
Robust steering and backup.
Another hull...
Old 11-10-2011, 16:40   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Take a look at Beth and Evans Starzinger's boat. They have a website that you should be able to find and had at least one article about what they left off the boat and why. A good place to start.
Old 11-10-2011, 17:09   #24

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I think there's a lesson in this thread: take care when you come up with a title and there's no limit on how many times people will use the same in joke in one thread.
It could give one a shooting pain between the eyes?
(Kinda like a warning shot to the forehead?)

Michael
Old 11-10-2011, 17:43   #25

Okay, I have learned my lesson, I will take greater care in selecting titles....

I would change it if I could, but I don't see how

Besides, I'm getting a bang out of it anyway!

Great comments, and actually, I have a vest so I don't need to line my boat.....

Redunency in operations, being able to go to manual quickly, open access and sub pannels, good ideas
Old 11-10-2011, 18:56   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Access to tankage so that cleaning can be easily achieved, fuel tanks especially but water as well.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 19:10   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think your question requires some soul searching on your part. A very simple boat with few conveniences will definitely be the most bullettproof. But that may not be what you want. Each thing you add will make the boat less bulletproof. So, what's your idea of how you want your boat?
Here's a simple example: If you just have a water tank, no water maker, then using a foot pump at the sink will save water and the pump will be more reliable than an electric diaphragm pump and will not use electricty.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:33   #28

Hummingway, what type of tanks, SS, Aluminum, plastic...?

Very good point Cheechako! The level of luxury certainly makes a difference with the number of systems and how complicated they may be.

Manual water maker? Sufficient tankage for a week at a time for two.

Hot water at the tap or propane tank.

As to water, I think it's nice to turn a tap and have water but I was thinking of a pressurized system, a small air tank with pressure in the water tank...is that done? Use a manual air pump? I know there are marine fixtures, but there are some home fixtures (ceramic valves) that are nice but simple. Water lines I think I would prefer to put in the new PEX flex tubbing with a manifold....won't freeze and burst and easy to install. Not sure about drains, guessing that PVC works if it's well secured.

Galley, a deeper double sink should fit on a boat that size (32 or so). With a gutted boat (or new build) I am thinking that some Lowes cabinets could be trimed on the back and bottom to fit, or just plywood.
Latches for doors and drawers? 4" or smaller tile for counter tops. Small fridge and ice chests.

Appliances, a coffe pot is a must, 12V or 110v. Grill, stove, microwave would be biggest power hog.

Lamenit flooring for the sole in a glass boat or covered ply in a build.

I'm really sold on a small outboard and a displacement hull, even though I wouldn't have an engine for running air and alternator. So, probably need a back up for the gen set for low voltage requirements, solar?
Shore power.

Interior materials: Naugrahide (sp?) fake leather, sunbrella, cotton canvas? Best to keep clean and fight mildew? Is there any special foam for cushions to be used? Berth could be an air mattress/bed or mattress.

AC/Heat, was another thread, a roof unit probably. Need supplemental heat, propane.

Small battery bank to back up gen set.....solar charger?

Stove would be at least two burner propane. Fridge could be propane as well.

I like spray foam to keep water out of cracks and stop air leaks, so insulated cabin at least above the water line. What's best?

Sorry for making this so long, there is probably a luxury standard that I don't know that could have put this in fewer words. Better than camping, nice work boat finish I guess, not a luxury cruiser.

Gunkholing mostly, on the hook, self sufficient as possible for the money.

How to do this most reliably? And A BIG THANKS!!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:02   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

bullet proof pressurised water system would be to put the water tank on the deck and let gravity do the work.

bullet proof toilet would be of the" long drop" type ie glass a tube into the bottom of the boat to form a well.

reccomend paddels or oars as a bullet proof means of propulsion......

interiour i woulnt bother with too many full bulk heads keep it open plan as possable and have the cabin sole as near to the water line as possable to maximise floor space.

the walls i would line with sheep skin for insulation and comfort,and line floors and cieling with neopreme type high density foam also for insulation and comfort.

under the hollow mast as a support i would build a wood burning range for cooking with built in hot water tank.

now crew .....a blond,a red head and a midget.............for those hard to reach places.........
Old 12-10-2011, 06:16   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Hummingway, what type of tanks, SS, Aluminum, plastic...?

>Stainless steel water tanks, steel diesel fuel tanks

Very good point Cheechako! The level of luxury certainly makes a difference with the number of systems and how complicated they may be.

>"Level of luxury" The list can go on and on... I want standing headroom for 6'3", cold beer, auto pilot & wind vane, comfortable seating area, 2,000 NM range under power, a good sailer, easy access to engine, (like my engine room), all electronics w/spares, reliable engine, be able to see out from inside,(like my pilothouse), place for a fair sized dinghy on board, dinghy outboard at least 15HP 2 stroke only, did I say cold beer...
18 years living aboard was happy!

Manual water maker? Sufficient tankage for a week at a time for two.

>120 volt AC watermaker, 20 gallons per hour, 200 gallons tankage

Hot water at the tap or propane tank.

> 120Volt AC and engine heated

As to water, I think it's nice to turn a tap and have water but I was thinking of a pressurized system, a small air tank with pressure in the water tank...is that done?

>Good Jabsco pumps last. One of mine is 44 years old, with a kit about each 10 years. Tried and true - Jabsco!

Use a manual air pump? I know there are marine fixtures, but there are some home fixtures (ceramic valves) that are nice but simple. Water lines I think I would prefer to put in the new PEX flex tubbing with a manifold....won't freeze and burst and easy to install. Not sure about drains, guessing that PVC works if it's well secured.

Galley, a deeper double sink should fit on a boat that size (32 or so). With a gutted boat (or new build) I am thinking that some Lowes cabinets could be trimed on the back and bottom to fit, or just plywood.
Latches for doors and drawers? 4" or smaller tile for counter tops.

Small fridge and ice chests.

>Yes on a 32' boat. I have a 120 volt AC/12 volt DC fridge, Norcold. The first one only lasted 21 years. Yes, I said 21 years! Freezer big enough for adequate food for three months. Mine is 120 volt hermetic unit for dock or genset, coils around a SS box. Inside is a Dole holding plate from an ice cream truck, refrigerated by a 2 cylinder Tecumseh aircon compressor belt driven by my Yanmar genset. In the 30 years we have owned our boat, we have replaced the compressor twice.

Appliances, a coffe pot is a must, 12V or 110v. Grill, stove, microwave would be biggest power hog.

> 3 burner stove w/oven, gimbaled, LPG, 2 tanks w/safety controls

Lamenit flooring for the sole in a glass boat or covered ply in a build.

>TEAK!

I'm really sold on a small outboard and a displacement hull, even though I wouldn't have an engine for running air and alternator. So, probably need a back up for the gen set for low voltage requirements, solar?

>Where are you going? Answer will determine size and type of engine.

Shore power.

Interior materials: Naugrahide (sp?) fake leather, sunbrella, cotton canvas? Best to keep clean and fight mildew? Is there any special foam for cushions to be used? Berth could be an air mattress/bed or mattress.

>Living aboard full time wears cushion covers. Select a spousal unit that sews, take a sewing machine and stock up on material when it is on sale.
Matresses used to last about 5 years, now age 70+, over ten years

AC/Heat, was another thread, a roof unit probably.

>NO! UGLY! Pacific and trade wind areas no need for aircon. Gulf coast, essential installed unit.

Need supplemental heat,
propane.

>Go south in the winter. You have a sailboat.

Small battery bank to back up gen set.....solar charger?

> Again, it depends on boat size. I have six 6 volt deep cycles in one big banks and a 4D for engine and genset starting. Read West Marine catalog "Blue Pages" re; batteries.

Stove would be at least two burner propane. Fridge could be propane as well.

>Propane fridges are sensitive to movement and unsafe in a boat!

I like spray foam to keep water out of cracks and stop air leaks, so insulated cabin at least above the water line. What's best?

Sorry for making this so long, there is probably a luxury standard that I don't know that could have put this in fewer words. Better than camping, nice work boat finish I guess, not a luxury cruiser.

Gunkholing mostly, on the hook, self sufficient as possible for the money.

>On the hook for freedom, independence and comfort. We lived at anchor for several years, 800' of chain in 3 rodes, 66# CQR's foreward and aft, 75# Danforth, 50@ Herreshof spares, plus 35# Northill for kedge

How to do this most reliably?

>Save up $115,000 and buy my boat.

And A BIG THANKS!!!!
>Comments embedded

Tom

Tags
cruiser

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: