Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 09:52   #76

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: How Do You Manage Fear ?

I used to panic just looking at a chart with water over my head. I conquered my fear by obtaining my SCUBA certification. However, I still get the flutters when we are in deep water out of sight of land. I put a sticky note over the depth gauge so that I don't see how deep it is.
Amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 12:10   #77

Boat: Seafarer 26
Oh I like the sticky note. Agree when it is an unreasonable fear go ahead and lie to yourself. It still amazes how it works.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 23:05   #78

Boat: Valiant 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
I used to panic just looking at a chart with water over my head. I conquered my fear by obtaining my SCUBA certification. However, I still get the flutters when we are in deep water out of sight of land. I put a sticky note over the depth gauge so that I don't see how deep it is.
Well done! The thought of scuba diving makes me queazy. That's probably why I need to do it at some point.
Old 26-09-2011, 00:03   #79

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

This may sound like a lame answer but it's true, it is what it is.

Focus on the beauty. The ocean is so spectacular, I usually forget to be scared. Storms are the best, the things you see, no movie could reproduce it, no story could properly represent it no matter how much you stretch the truth . Standing on deck in a sea of boiling water, wind screaming in your ears, big dark sky that seems to bear down on you, it's so damn surreal I forget to be scared. My mind wanders to the freak of it all, like clear black water, how can black water be clear? But every rolling angry breaking wave pushes air bubbles ten, twenty feet below the surface and you can see it clear as day! Clear black water, facinating.
There is such beauty in those dark moments, enjoy, have faith in your boat and crew, and enjoy a world few get to see.
Mrs. Rain Dog
Old 26-09-2011, 05:29   #80

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Wow ..hard to belive there are ******** that would not take them to shore...some people..go figure..good on you thou and your son ..
Luckily, we didn't talk long about it because the police arrived soon after. To give them the benefit of the doubt, they may not have realized the seriousness of the situation. They at least stopped near us and were helping me call 911. Their proximity to us also helped the police find us.

However, perhaps they were worried about their gel coat. After that incident, I heard many stories of people who didn't want to get involved.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:49   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
I really think it is the darkness down there, the fact that if you drowned you would be pulled into that darkness for ever, never to be seen again. Shallow water is not as dark and does not have the same prospect of you disappearing without a trace. In shallow water, there is always the hope you can swim or even wade to shore but in deep open water, that is not possible...
Huh? In shallow water maybe you can swim? If you can swim in water 10 ft. deep then you can swim in water 10,000 ft. deep. Makes no difference. If you drown, you're dead, and I'm pretty sure at that point it won't make any difference to you whether you sink down 10 ft. or 10,000 ft. Besides, you should be wearing a PFD, so you won't sink at all.

But, again, this just points up that these kinds of fears are not rational.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 11:55   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
I dive on a wreck(shore dive)in Nags Head thats about 3/4 of a mile off shore and when your swimming out you see nothing..then when that big black hull appears out of no where my heart starts racing and I have to calm myself..happens everytime and I have been on this wreck dozens of times...something about that water and what might be down there that makes you feel like your doing it for the first time every time....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 12:07   #83

I find even being in the proximity of a wreck that I know lives were lost on eerie...
Old 28-09-2011, 00:11   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
I find even being in the proximity of a wreck that I know lives were lost on eerie...
BOO....Me too
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 00:53   #85

Simply put: Train, Prepare, Act, Believe.

Train- get training in the areas you are going to be encountering in so you can aquire the skillsets of what you want to do.

Prepare- have the right equipment, and the know how to use it.

Act- When the time comes, don't become frozen, do something!

Believe- In your abilities, yourself and your equipment.

May sound simplistic, but it works, at least it did for me in 20 years of Aviation, combat and peacetime. Modify it to make it work for you.

IMHO.

paul

"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Deadcat7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 01:29   #86

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Fath in life no fear. What's to fear if you plan well
Old 28-09-2011, 01:55   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

used to worry all the time when sailing,but after about 50 000 miles i came to the conclusion that if **** is going to happen it will....and you deal with it when it happens,so why worry about stuff that MIGHT happen..........

now after 100 000 miles sort of enjoy that prickle of fear you get surfing into a barred harbour at full revs with a foul tide and cross currents,wind blowing a hooly,breakers to the right breakers to the left........sideways...........fear can become addictive.

fear let's you know you are really alive.....must be an adventure junkie i guess!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 05:09   #88

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Too bad, given the fact that for every known and marked wreck there are countless uncharted. Statistically, you will sail over at least one wreck every day of any given passage ...

;-)))
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 05:25   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Too bad, given the fact that for every known and marked wreck there are countless uncharted. Statistically, you will sail over at least one wreck every day of any given passage ...
Well, obviously, it is only when I know about it and usually only when I can see it.

It isn't a supernatural event but more of an empathy for what the people on the boat went through as the boat was going down.
Old 28-09-2011, 07:28   #90

Boat: Careel 22

I do my best to live by me dear old departed Grannies moto...If you worry, you die, if you don't worry, you still die! So why worry.
I dig out my music, like the music/video below and find all is well with my world.

Okay...So I'm an old hippy but ain't life great

Tags
paracelle