Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2013, 08:25   #136

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Challenge: How Do You Manage Fear ?

On the first or second page, before I really had had to deal with it, I made some grand and proud statement. I was full of **** as it turns out.
Here's the update-
Valium.
Valium for me, the kid, and the dog. No kidding. it has been 100% effective.

Old 16-09-2013, 08:30   #137
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

odl 914---i think i mentioned that one--if not i will yes take credit--rodlmao----some souls need more of the stuff others need none--lol

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:35   #138

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

I'm thinking that television and film have not helped what with all of the money spent on CG of storms and waves. But then again, it may hold off the onslaught of the masses that might show up in my favorite anchorage.
Old 16-09-2013, 09:02   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

krogen---your best defense is loud GANGSTA RAP music--you only need on e disc or one set of it---isnt for your benefit--wear earplugs. if that doesnt work---try something equally obnoxious...
Old 16-09-2013, 11:15   #140

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Re: How do you manage fear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Fear is a normal, natural, and healthy response to dangerous circumstances; a perception of a real threat to oneself (or others), to be contrasted with anxiety. Anxiety feels the same as fear, but is an imagined rather than an actual threat to the self.
Fear is only a problem when it causes inaction; when it paralyses.
Take action to prevent the perceived danger from causing harm.
GordMay nails it on the head again!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:27   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Fear is a normal, natural, and healthy response to dangerous circumstances; a perception of a real threat to oneself (or others), to be contrasted with anxiety. Anxiety feels the same as fear, but is an imagined rather than an actual threat to the self.
Fear is only a problem when it causes inaction; when it paralyses.
Take action to prevent the perceived danger from causing harm.

is factual. yes.
Old 16-09-2013, 11:36   #142

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Yup ocean scares the crud out of me. But so does the thought of living a "normal life on land"
Didn't some one say nothing to fear but fear itself

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 12:14   #143

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Wow glad I came across this thread. I thought I was the only one with irrational anxiety. I chock it up to menopause. I used to be quite fearless until I was in the role of the most experienced sailor. I taught my hubby to sail and feel a responsibility and resulting fear of not knowing what to do when conditions get rough.
Last year we did a multiple day passage in some extreme conditions, I was terrified for 55 hours. Felt so helpless. Since then I've been a nervous nelly. It all really started when we hit a whale a couple of years back. The realisation of randomness sends me to the edge.
An old salt told me that you plan and prepare and if something happens just use common sense. Most of the time you can survive the incident. So I rationalise that if something happens its not necessarily the end.
It also helps me to read about what others have been through.
I recently was at a very remote island and a 22 ft trail or sailor arrived in 30 knots. They sat at anchor for a week in gale conditions before having to head back in the same cuz they had to go back to work. I will think of them and how they faced it and it makes me feel much better about my conditions.
I really like the reply about pretending to be an actor in a role. It makes sense that detachment can separate ourselves from the emotion of it.
Old 16-09-2013, 12:57   #144

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayacondios View Post
Wow glad I came across this thread. I thought I was the only one with irrational anxiety. I chock it up to menopause. I used to be quite fearless until I was in the role of the most experienced sailor. I taught my hubby to sail and feel a responsibility and resulting fear of not knowing what to do when conditions get rough.
Last year we did a multiple day passage in some extreme conditions, I was terrified for 55 hours. Felt so helpless. Since then I've been a nervous nelly. It all really started when we hit a whale a couple of years back. The realisation of randomness sends me to the edge.
An old salt told me that you plan and prepare and if something happens just use common sense. Most of the time you can survive the incident. So I rationalise that if something happens its not necessarily the end.
It also helps me to read about what others have been through.
I recently was at a very remote island and a 22 ft trail or sailor arrived in 30 knots. They sat at anchor for a week in gale conditions before having to head back in the same cuz they had to go back to work. I will think of them and how they faced it and it makes me feel much better about my conditions.
I really like the reply about pretending to be an actor in a role. It makes sense that detachment can separate ourselves from the emotion of it.
Hi, there, Vaya Con Dios,

It sounds to me as if you are oppressed by your feeling of responsibility, and doesn't have anything at all to do with menopause. [Things can happen about the same time, but there is not necessarily a causal relationship between them.] Is it that your husband is completely dependent on your expertise? Or has he become competent crew whom you can trust?

You were fearful in "extreme conditions." I am told you always remember your first gale, and I certainly do. Perhaps you will find the same thing over time. You obviously got into enough protection to survive, and can start sorting out just what bothered you the most. For me, in the gale, when I gave up being afraid for my life, which was really an over reaction, I realized how damn tiring it was, and that is my main worry to this day about gales. I know we can handle them and the boat can handle them, so it's okay.

I like your story about the trailer sailor; if it inspires you and gives you balance, use it. If the role playing idea works for you, try it out!

I personally find it helpful to figure out which things scare me the most, and deal with whatever I can with the scariest first, and so on. :When you figure out the scariest bit, if it doesn't kill you, what's next worst? can you handle it? and so on, it goes really fast for me, and many things on board can be dealt with from the cockpit, you don't even have to go forward.

Good luck with it.
Old 16-09-2013, 13:27   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I went to Torre's blogsite. Some very good website/webdesign/travel/adventure work there. Well worth a visit.

Fearful Adventurer — Exploring the world one terrified step at a time.

Thanks, Torre. All the best in your projects!

b.
Old 16-09-2013, 14:07   #146

How do I handle fear? The same way as always, by being overconfident to the point of stupidity.
Old 16-09-2013, 14:29   #147

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Fear is a hell of a thing, It can freeze you into Total immobility,

Many years ago, a Rigger climbing a vertical ladder froze on the ladder, 150 feet above the ground, Vertical drop,
Took a crane with a cage, A safety harness on the rigger, A doctor in the cage, The needles didnt work, Muscle relaxant of some kind, Then they broke the fingers of both hands of the Rigger to get his fingers off the ladder, He was frozen solid in fear,

Its just one of those things that happens from time to time,
Snap out of it or die,
I am Terrified of heights, But I have been an onsite Boilermaker for 45 years, And work at all heights, I do the repairs on the tops of Multi story buildings, It paid very well,

Fear can be managed, If your aware of it,

I fell into a creek in Japan, After I got lost in a snow storm, I was walking across a paddock to the road, 3-00 AM, The creek was buried under the snow, The snow was flat across the paddock,

I was about 3 metres below the snow, Powdered snow dont compact, so you cant just build steps and climb out, No one knew I was there, I was on my own,

I was dressed in jeans and runners, A lite plastic coat, a T shirt and a lite jumper and no gloves, And a beanie on my head,

At 30 Odd degrees Celcius, Below freezing, At Noon, I dont know how cold the nights were, I had about 20 minutes before I was a permanent Icy Pole,
Yes, The fear and Panic was incredible, I am going to die here if I dont get myself out in a very quick hurry,
My hands were covered in fine powdered snow that stuck like **** to a blanket on my hands, I could not get it off, I could feel it sucking the heat from my body,

After packing the snow as best I could, some how, I managed to suppress my Intensive Fear and worked on getting myself out,
Lesson learned, Stay on the Bloody road, In a foreign country covered in snow,
Old 16-09-2013, 17:00   #148

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
My hubby is totally up to speed but I still feel a sense of responsibility. It was my idea to go sailing. I think I have to remind myself that he is totally competent and were in this together. I think your right about remembering your first gale. It becomes a benchmark. I have to let go of fear of not knowing what to do and trust that our decisions are sound.
There is neurotic fear and sensible fear.
If you live in the city and are afraid of lions that's neurotic but if you live in the jungle well that's going to keep you alive. Knowledge, common sense, keeping your head in a crisis.
When we hit a whale there were no whales around, it was calm and we were motoring slowly. Out of the blue Bam we wer broadsided by a humpback. It hit both keel (catamaran) and actually lifted one side up slightly. It was so random that freaked me out. All this water and we hit a whale. Then I realised we can't control everything in life have to accept that. I never used to believe in good luck but now I'm not so sure. It's good luck that both us and the whale are ok from the collision.
It's interesting how we are fearful of something's and not others.
Old 16-09-2013, 17:19   #149

Boat: Manta 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I went to Torre's blogsite. Some very good website/webdesign/travel/adventure work there. Well worth a visit.

Fearful Adventurer — Exploring the world one terrified step at a time.

Thanks, Torre. All the best in your projects!

b.
Thanks for the lead, since I subsequently checked out this site and ended up buying her new book. Looking forward to a good read!
Old 16-09-2013, 17:45   #150
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Oddly enough, I just learned how to handle fear right here on this forum. Just be always right, which makes you always courageous. Simple!

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: