Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2009, 03:44   #1
Registered User
 
biltong's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Boat: Sadler 26
Posts: 138
Challenge: Getting a Yacht to Cape Town from Panama Going East

BUying a yacht in Panama and then delivering it eastwards to Cape Town South Africa, who knows?? anyone done it?
__________________

__________________
biltong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 06:59   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Posts: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by biltong View Post
BUying a yacht in Panama and then delivering it eastwards to Cape Town South Africa, who knows?? anyone done it?
Tough upwind and up current from Panama to Brazil, pretty nice sailing from Brazil to Cape town.

The normal way to do this is to sail just before or after hurricane season when the trades are lighter, and only at night when the diurnal effect is lightest, along the S American coast. Anchoring each day (or at least during the afternoon when the winds are strongest). You need to be careful with this approach because some of that coast has developed a reputation for thugs.

The nice way to do this trip would be Panama to the Azores to Cape Verde's to BA to Cape town. That would be great sailing and great stops, but probably take longer than allowed for 'a delivery'.
__________________

__________________
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 08:33   #3
Registered User
 
biltong's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Boat: Sadler 26
Posts: 138
Thanks for that info. It appears to be as I thought it might. The yacht in question is in Bocas, Panama and though this would be a great area to sail and sail from, I need to have the yacht in South Africa for a couple of years due to commitments.
__________________
biltong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 08:56   #4
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,583
Images: 14
Stick it on a ship even if it is only to Brazil or even Europe.

Pete
__________________
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:18   #5
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Tough upwind and up current from Panama to Brazil, pretty nice sailing from Brazil to Cape town.

The normal way to do this is to sail just before or after hurricane season when the trades are lighter, and only at night when the diurnal effect is lightest, along the S American coast. Anchoring each day (or at least during the afternoon when the winds are strongest). You need to be careful with this approach because some of that coast has developed a reputation for thugs.

The nice way to do this trip would be Panama to the Azores to Cape Verde's to BA to Cape town. That would be great sailing and great stops, but probably take longer than allowed for 'a delivery'.
What months is the huricane season, and what does BA stand for?
__________________
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 18:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Whangaparaoa,NZ
Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Posts: 956
What sort of boat is it?
__________________

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 19:21   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
TaoJones's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
What months is the huricane season, and what does BA stand for?
Hurricane season in the northern hemisphere is considered by most insurance carriers to be June 1 - December 1, but the summer months (June 21 - September 21) are the heart or the season, and late summer is the worst.

BA = Buenos Aires, Argentina.

TaoJones
__________________
"Your vision becomes clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks within, awakens."
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)
TaoJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Yacht Delivery Panama to South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by biltong View Post
BUying a yacht in Panama and then delivering it eastwards to Cape Town South Africa, who knows?? anyone done it?
I suggest sailing from Panama via perhaps Puerto Rico, Azores, Canaries, Cape Verde to S.A.
I suggest that trip needs to start in late March, early April.
Difficult bit is getting to the Eastern Caribbean.

If you are interested in discussing further, see my website as I have not yet committed to an Atlantic crossing in the short weather window between end of winter gales and hurricane season in North Atlantic.

Brendan Chandler
__________________
BrendanChandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25   #9
Registered User
 
biltong's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Boat: Sadler 26
Posts: 138
Thanks for the info

This still seems to be a challange of difficulty, however, the yacht in question, a Cheoy Lee Offshore 41, has in the meantime been sold to a lucky couple in the USA
__________________
Arguing with a fool is two fools arguing
biltong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
If you hear that the new owners want help to take her home, please pass on my details.
I also do "shorter" deliveries.

Regards

Brendan
__________________
Brendan Chandler BSc FCII
Yacht Delivery Skipper
BrendanChandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 15:05   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by biltong View Post
This still seems to be a challange of difficulty, however, the yacht in question, a Cheoy Lee Offshore 41, has in the meantime been sold to a lucky couple in the USA
How much did it sell for?
__________________
AquaBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 22:24   #12
Registered User
 
biltong's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Boat: Sadler 26
Posts: 138
I didn't ask, but I thought that the asking price was pretty reasonable to start with.
__________________
Arguing with a fool is two fools arguing
biltong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:49   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Durban South Africa
Boat: L 34
Posts: 280
This is a great trip. Go, Panama, Puerto Rico, USVI, Antigua. Then non-stop NE first, skirt just south of the Azores high making as much easting as possible, south to just west of Cape Verdes, across doldrums as far east as possible, down Brazilian coast about 200 miles off to 30S, 30W then as low as you need to to find some westerlies, and to Cape Town. I did this trip from St Maarten to Cape town single handed in 82 days from Nov to Feb. I have written a little book on the trip if anyone is interested.
__________________
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:34   #14
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
This is a great trip. Go, Panama, Puerto Rico, USVI, Antigua. Then non-stop NE first, skirt just south of the Azores high making as much easting as possible, south to just west of Cape Verdes, across doldrums as far east as possible, down Brazilian coast about 200 miles off to 30S, 30W then as low as you need to to find some westerlies, and to Cape Town. I did this trip from St Maarten to Cape town single handed in 82 days from Nov to Feb. I have written a little book on the trip if anyone is interested.
Yes, from St Maarten but your proposed first leg from Panama to PR is the problem. In the winter there is no way you can lay that course... you would be very lucky if you make Jamaica but current, waves and wind will probably not even let you make that. If you choose the south you meet the effects of the Colombia low with the 15-20' seas on the nose... we saw 100' boats coming back with their tails between the legs when meeting those. This leg is in the top 5 of worst passages of the world.
In the summer it's much easier but then you get the hurricanes forcing you to stay south.

If this isn't the start of your cruising life but you just want the boat in SA I would put it on a transport. Both Spliethof and Dockwise operate in Colon and you can also make arrangements with regular freighters (but need to pull the mast in that case).

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:01   #15
Registered User
 
biltong's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Boat: Sadler 26
Posts: 138
Thanks guys

Thanks guys but as mentioned earlier, the said yacht has been sold, and I am lucky to have bought a yacht locally, a Amel Sharki. Maybe, though, the information given might be interesting to other parties tempting the same.
__________________

__________________
Arguing with a fool is two fools arguing
biltong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cape town, Panama, Panama Canal

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cape town to the med? Brandywine Atlantic & the Caribbean 5 16-07-2017 06:15
Greetings from Cape Town ibrgic Meets & Greets 2 30-11-2009 22:31
Hello from Cape Town maxcpt Meets & Greets 7 17-08-2009 01:54
Hi There from Cape Town, South Africa rols Meets & Greets 5 18-05-2009 14:22
New Member from Cape Town FAIRWIND Meets & Greets 3 06-08-2008 14:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.