Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2011, 17:25   #106

Boat: Irwin sloop
Re: Engine Diagnosis

De-carboning an engine using water spray in the air intake was common practice for flathead engines in the 40s and early 50s. It seemed to work fine on the old low compression engines that actualy needed to have carbon deposits removed to prevent pre-ignition. The deposits aparently acted like glo-plugs and the engines would "ping" like the dickens. Modern engines and diesels operate with higher compression and RPM so carbon is no longer the villian it once was.

Old 15-08-2011, 01:14   #107

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I almost hate to add this but I was once told and tried it myself to rid carbon build up was to spray from a spray bottle water into the intake about a spray every 30 seconds for about 4-5 times. Under pressure and heat the Oxygen and Hydrogen separate and cause the loosening of the carbon. The few times I did it I got horrendous amounts of black smoke. Having said that, I am not endorsing anyone else try it...
Back in my days as marine engineer this was common practice; daily routine even. The engines (main and auxiliary) had reservoirs (to be filled with water (about one liter for small and op to 10 (per turbo) for the main) just for that purpose. The turbo (air side) pressure was used to spray in the water into the suction side of the turbo's. As I remember it the main purpose was to clean the turbo's. I don't believe the heat would decompose water in O2 en H2; it was the impact of the water spray on the rotating parts that cleaned the turbo's (yep, nice black smoke was the result).

Eric

Old 15-08-2011, 11:36   #108

Boat: Irwin sloop

Last night the 140 degree clunk wouldn't let me sleep, for carbon deposits to cause that, wouldn't it require the cylinder to be slightly more than half full? Is there a overlength bolt through the flywheel or crankshaft pulley that could contact casting webs or the bottom of the block? Sorry, this thing just wont stop bugging me.
Old 15-08-2011, 11:51   #109

Looking at your picture #4 of 4 (it may be just a distortion caused by camera angle), but the third cylinder from the left looks like it's rotated off center in the bore. This would likely cause a valve to hit the piston. Maybe a bent rod.
Old 15-08-2011, 12:10   #110

Correction to above: PISTON looks rotated.
Old 15-08-2011, 13:05   #111

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Last night the 140 degree clunk wouldn't let me sleep, for carbon deposits to cause that, wouldn't it require the cylinder to be slightly more than half full? Is there a overlength bolt through the flywheel or crankshaft pulley that could contact casting webs or the bottom of the block? Sorry, this thing just wont stop bugging me.
See post #102. Remember it is 180 degrees for between the 2 sets of pistons to go to TDC. Therefore 180-145=35degrees difference divided by 2= 17 degrees per each side of TDC. 17 degrees at the top of the crank would only be 1/16" where as if the crank moved 17 degrees when it was at 90 degrees, the movement would be closer to 1/4". I hope I have explained it ok.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 13:08   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Correction to above: PISTON looks rotated.

Optical delusion
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 15-08-2011, 15:51   #113

Have you dropped the pan to look? That piston sure looks like it's rotated quite a few degrees from the others whose piston top valve space line is 90 degrees to the CL of the engine. Did you have the rods detached from the crank already when you took the picture?
Old 15-08-2011, 15:58   #114

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Just read from the start; the first to come of was the pan; the head was second.
Old 15-08-2011, 16:06   #115

Been following this thread from the start and did not remember reading that. Guess the rods were unbolted already although the others seem to be still in line.
Old 15-08-2011, 16:12   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Been following this thread from the start and did not remember reading that. Guess the rods were unbolted already although the others seem to be still in line.
No...Bottom end still intact. I cleaned the top of the pistolas and will upload a picture to show you.

Old 15-08-2011, 16:25   #117

That's great! Only reason I thought that might be it was that I once had a Grey Marine 4 banger gas motor that had a twisted rod causing the motor to bind. With the low hours on yours, you may be able to simply give it a good honing. If you can't see/feel any ridge, you might be able to live with a couple of minor score lines. I just honed my Yanmar with a 3 stone hone.
Old 15-08-2011, 18:27   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...Bottom end still intact. I cleaned the top of the pistolas and will upload a picture to show you.
You are going to want to buy the piston set (which comes with the rods etc I think) for your 3gm30. Pistons are the weak point in that engine. The land between the lowest and next ring tends to break loose. That may be why you have scoring in the one cylinder.... Maybe they offer a complete sleeve, piston rod set?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 23:26   #119

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Umm, it's a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi not a 3 cylinder Yanmar.
Old 16-08-2011, 12:42   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Just a comment. I don't think the Westerbeke 4-108 has sleeved cylinders. Am I wrong here?

Tags
engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: