Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-12-2010, 15:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
dr david lewis who circumnavigated the southern ocean in "icebird" a small steel boat,all he had was a candle.
great bloke,who we met in aitutaki cook islands,when i asked him how this worked he reckoned that the temperature difference was that great that it felt warm when he went inside!!!!!!!!!!

Old 20-12-2010, 15:17   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
dr david lewis who circumnavigated the southern ocean in "icebird" a small steel boat,all he had was a candle.
great bloke,who we met in aitutaki cook islands,when i asked him how this worked he reckoned that the temperature difference was that great that it felt warm when he went inside!!!!!!!!!!
And thats what one aims for... there have been times I've been so cold I've welcomed the waves dumping into the cockpit and me coz the water was 15c warmer than the windchill I was getting...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nissan Thermoses; my only advice.
Old 20-12-2010, 15:21   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Yes, cats have a lot more surface to heat.

But unless the pot generates BTU--unlikely--then the math makes little sense, unless you huddle around the pot. I stand by what I said, that it is more impression than function.
A fan in a heating system doesn't produce heat but it does help distribute it. BTU's don't tell the whole story.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Nissan Thermoses; my only advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the clay pot on a stove worked great in sd in a cold winter -- warmed the entire cabin. might nneed more than that for colder weather unless boat is small---i love my trawler lamp--warms entire living space of my formosa except the head ..hence the crack about the weems and plath lamp in bano..LOL
Here we have two wonderful members from San Diego. But taking advice on cold from people in San Diego. Does that make sense

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:34   #21

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
Is your boat fiberglass? I'm in Philadelphia, a bit further north than your current location. There has been 2" of ice out on my fish pond for more than two weeks. There is about the same in the pool. Yeah, yeah, i know it is fresh water, but it would take a pick axe to break through either one at this stage. Make sure you know where the ice is located on the Bay and in the protected anchorages you may choose. If there is any thickness to it ice could really spoil your day.
Old 20-12-2010, 15:35   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Here we have two wonderful members from San Diego. But taking advice on cold from people in San Diego. Does that make sense
My former boat, based out of Connecticut, working primarily the North Atlantic.

Old 20-12-2010, 15:40   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
san diego gets freeking kold. 38 degrees is not warmth. also i have lived in noo jork state-- near albany. many many years. lol so dont PRESUME kalifornikatiors are natives LOL..water temps here are very cold-we have 50 degree water yr round in our ocean-- sometimes 4 ft under surface, sometimes at surface. so--donot presume sd is warmville.
and donot presume sd folks donot know cold. try living on board in winter with 90+kt winds in wet and windy storms that last 4 says then another one comes 3 or 2 days post that one-- alll winter long--from the north with VERY COLD(in 30'sF) winds measuring over 30 kts in most cases.. granted isnt as long as back east-- but it is righteous., come live here for a few winters before knocking the knowledge of cold .ROFL. when i went to louisianha last yr to get warm, was 29 degrees for mardi gras, i left here in 38 degree weather with impending storms..LOL....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:54   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Check the water you are currently in in the Chesapeake.

This is one of the earliest freeze ups I've seen in recent years.

Your diesel engine and alcohol stove are not going to keep you warm.

The stove may kill you unless you have a CO detector on board
Old 20-12-2010, 15:56   #25

We've used the "Buddy Heater" with great results over the last three years. It has an oxygen sensor safety shutoff, but still, we We DO NOT leave it on when we sleep even though the claim is that it's OK to do that. We will warm up the cabin a little bit in the morning and really warm it up at night for supper and before going to bed. Last week here in Stuart it got down to the high 20's over night, 40's during the day. It kept the boat at 70 degrees without a problem... while it was on.

Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters

If you do not have a cockpit enclosure you can keep the wind off of you by using clear plastic (cheap or expensive, same as the windows in you cockpit) to make some roll up / roll down shields for the side of the cockpit. It just takes the plastic and grommets for the attachment points, then hang it so you can roll it down in place. Fancy or simple set up does not matter as long as it keeps the wind/snow/rain off of you. They work great!

I have not tried it, but perhaps one of the smaller "Little Buddy" heaters would help in the cockpit.

Greg
Old 20-12-2010, 16:00   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Check the water you are currently in in the Chesapeake.

This is one of the earliest freeze ups I've seen in recent years.

Your diesel engine and alcohol stove are not going to keep you warm.

The stove may kill you unless you have a CO detector on board
this is supposed to be a nasty bad winter according to those i know in desert here-- signs were out for it in mid sumer--anthills being built higher to keep out impending water from rain and snow, and critters furrier than usual-- tells me to gtf out of here to souf..lol is tooo late now-- weather window snapped in my face while awaiting flakey crew/sailpartner..LOL
in cold times i still keep my ports open until i get rain in my face-- so keeps warm air circulating in boat nicely without a fan...keeps condensation to a minimum and me alive and not breathing bad no oxygen air. many close ports, but that is dangerous.
Old 20-12-2010, 16:11   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The water down here in the sunny south end of the bay is 44 F. Last I checked you can cook flower pots all day and they don't make it warmer. You still have the moisture from the propane making co2 and water. Clearly an early cold snap this year that won't let up soon.

Staying warm means staying dry. Everything else is an extra. Sweat is moisture and you don't need moisture. The flower pots are OK when it's cool in the morning in the fall. Venting the moisture means letting the cold air back in.

The ICW isn't hard but there are a whole lot of markers to get correct (exactly). You need concentration else a wrong turn or a missed turn is trouble. Should you end up near Yorktown, VA you can plug in here for a few days if you need a break we have a T dock with deep water and a boat named Bright Eyes.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 16:16   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

WHAT HE SAYS^^^^^^^
icw was cool place to motor-- when motoring, boat stays warmer inside-- half the battle---i was only half joking about an oil lamp in head--but it does make a difference to your comfort sitting on cold vs sitting in warm......definitely stay dry.....can save life.
rest often and be aware your body does suffer stressors in cold weather that arent stressors in warm weather. tires out the body and adds to exhaustion.
goood thing about icw is there are places to stop and rest and is protected from severe winds and seas.
Old 20-12-2010, 16:19   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
in the marines we used to cuddle up together when it was very cold and we had to bivi up in the open,these days i prefer female crew members when its very cold.......
Old 20-12-2010, 16:24   #30
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

We have similar things in the UK... dangers are CO2 and discomfort/PITA is the impressive amount of condensation they chuck out....
Buy De'Longhi SBF Silver Portable Gas Heater 4.2kW. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: