I'm a bit surprised by the comments about Australian rego.
Thanks to Mark J's warning I made sure I had all my ducks in a row before I left.
The staff at the Australian shipping
register are fantastic and helped me out so much.
Where I did fall down was with using Australia
Post in the Caribbean
as they use DHL.
Under no circumstances use anyone but FedEx, it still takes about 10 days to get documents between Aust and the Caribbean
The other issue I had was I took 3 weeks and the sacking of a base manager to get the clearance certificate from the French Maritime Authority.
This was because there were outstanding levies to payed not because the system takes so long.
There is a lot of problems in the French system but it can be worked out and if you are buying
from someone who is decent they should be able to be worked out before you leave Australia
That said I had done all this and was still caught out by an employee's incompetence.
I had to wait 3 weeks for my paperwork, but he lost
his job which was a shame.
As far as the finances go I think the best advice I received was don't try and make money
on the project
, just buy a bigger better boat than you could afford to buy in Australia.
The Australian economy is a bit shaky at the moment, but will come good sometime.
Maybe next week maybe in a few years.
If you are in a position to hold onto your boat and enjoy it when you bring it back then sell when times are good go for it!
If you are going to arrive and have to sell straight away to keep your head
I would wait till my finances are stronger.
Good luck I hope it works out for you all.
P.S. thanks heaps Mark J I hope we meet one day so I can buy you a few beers!