Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2011, 17:34   #46

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Bringing a Larger Boat Into a Slip Without An Engine

Getting into a marina berth without an engine is a good skill to have, but a difficult skill to practice. We had occasion to sail into our berth recently. I won't bore you with the details, but we were 2 on board, and it was about 2am. We were fortunate in that ther was not much breeze, so we just came in with sails partialy doused, and dropped them completely when we judged we had sufficient way to make it into the berth and maintain steerage (which was probably about 100 - 120' away with 2.0 - 2.5 knots of way on. We had laid 2 fenders on each side of the boat to prevent potential damage to the boats either side of our berth. We grabbed the in-situ springers as we came in and got them on first, then worried about the other lines. It might not have been copybook, but we didn't hit any other boats nor the marina, so good enough.

I should note, however, that on one other occasion, when we had engine difficulties, we decided that the wind strength and direction were such that we were not sufficiently confident of being able to get into our berth, and chose to come alongside a long section of marina instead. We warped the boat into its berth the next day when the wind had mostly abated. The point being that getting into your berth is not necessarily the only option. You may be able to safely come alongside elsewhere, or even drop anchor and call for assistance.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:59   #47

Have your wife or girlfriend remove clothing and stand on the bow waving...sooner or later someone will come out!
Wetlandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 00:01   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'

Thanks for all the replies.
kk
Wetlandsman,
I sincerely hope that you are joking. That is wrong in so many ways. I don't even know how to respond.
Old 10-05-2011, 00:16   #49
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetlandsman View Post
Have your wife or girlfriend remove clothing and stand on the bow waving...sooner or later someone will come out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M-P View Post
Wetlandsman,
I sincerely hope that you are joking. That is wrong in so many ways. I don't even know how to respond.
I cannot tell you how true it is, though. Although he didn't say ALL clothing - usually down to the underwear will do the trick.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 13:28   #50

This isn't for serious? The question states you have a sailboat. With wind answer: sail in with self-furled foresail. Without wind answer: drop anchor and wait for wind. Why is this a problem? Some slips today are hard to get into even with power, but who says you have to be in you're own slip?

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 14:55   #51

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

<start humor>
Step #1: Throw anchor in direction of dock.
Step #2: Pull on anchor rope rope.
Step #3: Repeat.
<end humor>

In reality I'd sail in as far as I could then run a line in with dingy or if I had to swim it.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 14:59   #52

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I like the idea that any slip will do in a time of need. Gonna remember that one.

My slip requires four turns, the fuel dock one turn, a slip near the entrance channel zero turns.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 15:15   #53

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

In the event that you must use another persons slip may I suggest that you be prepared with appropriate offerings of food, wine and friendship!
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 15:53   #54

Boat: Bristol 38.8

In all seriousness, I've seen it done neatly with a crew of two: one at the tiller and another manipulating a partially rolled unsheeted headsail by hand. I don't know if one person alone could do it in tight quarters with a fresh breeze, especially if the slip is downwind.

LOL, I'd have all of my fenders out, that's for sure, plus a boathook in hand, just in case. Plus it would be a last resort. I'd first look for a place where I could approach upwind, even if it wasn't my own slip.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 16:20   #55

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
.... I'd first look for a place where I could approach upwind, even if it wasn't my own slip.
Any "port" in a "storm."
Old 13-05-2011, 17:26   #56

Yeah what markpierce and Curmudgeon said; and hey, how fast would you really be going when you hit the dock, 2-3 knots?

Old 13-05-2011, 17:29   #57

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Been thinking about this again. For a downwind slip, no current, and singlehanding it, I think I'd back it in. Backwind the main for reverse gear and sheet in the flapping jib/genny for forward. At least that way you can blow the main or the jib. I've done it before but that was in a 22 footer not a 39 like I have now. I think I could do it with no current. With current from the side there might be some yelling & running & crunching unless I had crew.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 17:32   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline View Post
In the event that you must use another persons slip may I suggest that you be prepared with appropriate offerings of food, wine and friendship!
Hell, you can have our slip for 6 pack and it's a strait in channel slip; better make that an even dozen.

Old 13-05-2011, 17:39   #59

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Any one who has skippered a sailing vessel over 30 feet who has not practiced the dropping and picking up of a MOB buoy or cushion under sail alone probably shouldn't be at the helm IMHO. This is a pretty basic task all should practice until they are proficient. The proper procedure is to come up to windward of the pick up object and stall just abeam and a couple of feet away letting the wind drift you down on the object. The higher the wind velocity, the further out you should stall. This shelters the overboard object from sea action and allows you a lee side pick up. Luffing of the main and head sail will bring you down on the object much quicker than a reduced sail area.
Once you have mastered that several times, you are ready to try your skill at berthing under sail. I would avoid a down wind situation until I got really proficient and have always opted for an up wind slip when ever I had that opportunity.
You need to know your vessel and how it performs in light airs, medium strength when it is blowing. Many marinas have calm water inside but a fairly good wind speed aloft. Adjust your sail plan accordingly, watch wind direction and use flags on berth vessels nearby to scope out direction and force of the breeze.
Easy, easy, easy is the watch word, slower is better and for the first few trys, keep your engine idling in neutral. The first time you acomplish this feat, pat your self on the back, secure your lines and pour yourself a cold one... you've earned it!
My wife and I used to berth our Transpac 49 ketch under sail all the time if it wasn't blowing like snot and she got pretty proficient at the helm as well as line handling.
When health finally forced us in to a power boat, we were amazed at how easy berthing was with twin diesels regardless of windage or current.
I strongly recommend learning this skill, not to show off to your neighbors in the marina but to improve your seamanship and gain the confidence to deal with a loss of power event which will happen if you spend enough time out there. cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 17:57   #60

Boat: Traditional 30

Its good practice to have fenders already attached to the pen any way. Dont leave it untill the bow or stern has dents before adding them. This way, if you do come in to fast and ram the marina, the fenders will take some of the shock loads and minimize damage..
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine