Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 04:51   #16

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: CBP and Border Patrol on the Docks

"THEY" know where you are all the time. Don't forget that in 1991, Desert Storm, film was released showing a cruise missile flying thru a particular window. Triangulate your cellphone, DKH, but bet they can locate you from GPS extraction of your download. Sat cameras every 90 minutes.
I take the high road, if I get in trouble they know where I am.
Old 21-06-2011, 04:54   #17

Boat: Chartercats, Prowlercub, 42'

Please remember that when you sail into a foreign country without "clearing in" you are essentially an illegal alien and subject to penalties. Since 9/11 and the new anti-terrorist rules, all entries into the US whether by citizens or visitors must be sanctioned by CBP. For many boaters, myself included, the process can be cumbersome and highly inconvenient, but its the law and protects our security. I'll echo the previous comments: you will be entered into the national database and first hand I have been shown the exit/entry logs. Try to get a visa for travel abroad, have your fingerprints taken, or get a maritime license, and you will be challenged about your "cheating the system". Fines can be large, and effectively you will be "blacklisted for further travel.
Capt. T Hanna
Thanna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 05:17   #18

Boat: Still looking

So to sum this all up, just register and play by the rules so you can enjoy the right to sail where you want. Ok...
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 05:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: CBP and Border Patrol on the Docks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
What does CBP stand for?
Carry Big Pistols.....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 05:41   #20

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Carry Big Pistols.....
Can Bully People
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 06:00   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
I have a question, my gf and I were in Miami today and stopped by a Miami harbor. We saw the CBP show up with border patrol. It seems if you sail to lets say the Bahamas you have to tell them when your going and when your coming back, Is this really true.
If so what happens if you go, and you don't checking with them, how are they or is anyone to know you are going to sail out of the country. This sounds serious.
I don't really understand and see the point in that kind of question.
How someone could seriously ask if he can get to a foreign country and back without going through customs and immigration (on both way) and not follow the rules?...
So far the Bahamas ARE a foreign country, not yet been invaded by the US marine Corps.
Old 21-06-2011, 06:05   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I have heard of folks not checking in in the Bahamas and also not checking in on returning to the US. One or two little anecdotes to show that the authorities are getting their act together.

A Canadian cruiser did not check in to save $300 in the Bahamas. On return to the States he did check in (there is a small charge $19 at most) as he wanted to get a cruising permit. He was detained as the US authorities had no record of him clearing in to the Bahamas. Apparently the Bahamas now exchanges data on entries with the US.

We were approached by a cigarette boat off St. Lucie inlet. They roared up and then stopped close to us. It was a CPB boat. After a few minutes they roared away. They did not board or hail us. It was obvious that they checked us out and their data showed we were cleared in. At one time the Customs personnel in one district knew very little about what was going on in another district. This has slowly changed over the years and I think those in FL now know what's going on.

Don't even think of not clearing in, either in the Bahamas or the States. You don't want a big fine and your boat confiscated.
Old 21-06-2011, 06:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
I don't really understand and see the point in that kind of question.
How someone could seriously ask if he can get to a foreign country and back without going through customs and immigration (on both way) and not follow the rules?...
So far the Bahamas ARE a foreign country, not yet been invaded by the US marine Corps.
Look I am new to this so the question stated, If you are traveling to a smaller island in the Bahamas, do you have to go to the main lsland and check in or call or what ever. I am just trying to understand, all part of Q&A.
Old 21-06-2011, 06:26   #24

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
Look I am new to this so the question stated, If you are traveling to a smaller island in the Bahamas, do you have to go to the main lsland and check in or call or what ever. I am just trying to understand, all part of Q&A.
have to check in first,,,bimini has a place,,,,NOT sure if you just drop the hook and swim without going ashore but there MIGHT be something on a 24 hour time limit
you are still in bahamian waters but not going ashore not sure how that would work,,might want to call immigration and ask them and GET it in writing
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 06:35   #25

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

As per Osirissail here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post451502 the Bahamas allow you to Q through and even anchor while flying the Q flag, so long as you don't go ashore. In the US, anchoring is considered landing, and you must clear in.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 06:36   #26

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

dropanchorfor3

YES you must clear into the Bahamas, otherwise you are illegal and trying to circumvent the cruising permit fees.

Alot of older south Florida cruisers are still used to the old Caribbean rules whereas Americans never had to have passsports to cruise the Caribbean..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 07:04   #27

Flags, ensigns and flag etiquette

I found this website on google and my question is do all sailboats, yachts etc. require these flags aboard your vessel?
Old 21-06-2011, 07:11   #28

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Up here near the Canadian border, the Border Patrol is everywhere. I used to sail my skiff over to White Rock and have dinner, sail back to Blaine and drive home. Now that is illegal. We used to have the longest unprotected border in the world. Now americans are all scared of the boogeyman.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 07:28   #29

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Every country has a list of "ports of entry" and you must first go to one of them before going anywhere else. You can check the list for the bahamas here

Noonsite: Bahamas

The US is in a minority in not requiring you to see anyone official when leaving the country. However, you are required to call CPB when you come back. You can find a list of the relevant phone numbers here

U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Contacts

I came at Beaufort NC about a month ago and the procedure was to enter the port and tie up at a marina and call CPB before anyone went ashore for anything more than to tie a dockline to a cleat. The Customs guys showed up in about half an hour (though they could have just ordered me to come to them if they wanted or just told us to go on our way which happened once). I actually mentioned how haphazard it seemed and the guy said "The honest ones all call us. Its the bad guys who try to sneak in". Basically, they already knew we had been in the Bahamas and were checking to see if we were bringing in any fresh vegetables or meat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 07:32   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

In reality, the Bahamas is both reasonable and accommodating to visiting boaters. They only ask that you do check in at the first available port of entry along your journey. Due to the large number of uninhabited islands they know it may take a day or so for you to get to a Port of Entry. Just don't "push too much" taking your time getting to one.
- - Also since there is no "check-out" for US citizens/boats from the USA, the Bahamas really does not know when you left. I commonly cross from Miami and sail all the way to Nassau where I check-in. That takes a minimum of 42 hours which obviously includes a stop somewhere to sleep. The Bahamas officials never even raise an eyebrow. Likewise, I hear with arriving at Treasure Cay in the Abacos.
- - Checking out of the Bahamas has always been a matter of convenience. It you happen to be in a Port of Entry you can check-out, if not, then there is a form as part of your check in that tells you have to check-out by mail or internet. As a practical matter in over a decade and a dozen times to the Bahamas I have never checked-out and never heard or had a problem.
- - But as stated by others, the USA is a whole different ball of problems. LBO and a program of special program of "weekend" presence of CBP officials at south Florida marinas has greatly reduced the hassles comparatively.
- - But you do need a USA passport/passport card as a US citizen to get back into the USA without reams of hassles. What is strange is that each CBP region/office seems to have different levels of hassles or no hassles at all. In Port Canaveral, you walk/ride 5 minutes to the Port Office building of CBP and present your passport/documentation/exit clearance (if you have one) and five minutes or so later the official has politely and cheerfully put the information into his computer and wishes you a pleasant day - welcome back. Other places have totally different procedures and hassles.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote