Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2013, 09:15   #46

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Can you control how much "stuff" you have on your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Agree and Funny! If you believe many of these posts a real man would sail without a galley, head, and engine... Scratching out an existence, fishing for dinner, washing with seawater (if at all), navigating by the stars, anchoring in secluded bays, toting fresh water with a bucket, guzzling rum, smoking cigars, and peeing over the rail...if it just weren't for those high maintenance biotches.
J, do you realize that you have just described the conditions of commercial sailors and explorers prior to the 20th Century?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42   #47

Boat: Island Packet 380

"Stuff"...sigh...I have sort of a love/hate relationship with "stuff", depending on the day and the type of "stuff" we are talking about will dictate how I feel about said "stuff"

For example, when we purchased our boat nearly 2 years ago, it came as a FULLY loaded cruising boat. Yes, I am talking about FULLY loaded. Dry weight of this boat is 21,000 lbs, when we had her shipped from Florida to Minnesota she weighed 29,000 lbs. At one point in our journey of sorting through what we had purchased, I was convienced we had purchased a boat from hoarders (now there's a new reality TV show for ya). I was overwhelmed by the amount of "stuff".

We have over time taken quite a bit of "stuff" off the boat, sorted through what we had and determined what would stay, what would go and what was that?

Now, on the flip side of this coin, I can't tell you the number of times we have had some small part break or need a small and unique boat bit to aid in the restoration of the boat and each and every time I have also cheered when we have found the exact part or piece that we needed in our boat inventory. Bless our "stuff"

I think the bottom line is it's quite easy to curse other people's "stuff" but hey, all my "stuff" is....well....important "stuff"

George Carlin - "Have you noticed that their stuff is sh!t and your sh!t is stuff"

Old 01-10-2013, 12:33   #48

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
J, do you realize that you have just described the conditions of commercial sailors and explorers prior to the 20th Century?
I do! I've visited ships in the US, Holland, Sweden, and England. Very cool, but unbelievable how close the hammocks are hung. . . and sleeping next to the gun powder room argggg. Just finished the movie "Sea Wolf" last night, not as brutal as Jack London's book, but pretty dismal.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39   #49
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Agree and Funny! If you believe many of these posts a real man would sail without a galley, head, and engine... Scratching out an existence, fishing for dinner, washing with seawater (if at all), navigating by the stars, anchoring in secluded bays, toting fresh water with a bucket, guzzling rum, smoking cigars, and peeing over the rail...if it just weren't for those high maintenance biotches
yep , we would , so.....

( think of the ways the disposal income could be spent......!!!!)

If I could just keep my wife out of pound shops!!, last boat I sold I took of 4 Europallets ( 1sqm each) of "stuff".

dave
Old 01-10-2013, 15:38   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Not possible here. I let this be for now then give away and throw overboard as we move.

b.
Old 01-10-2013, 15:54   #51

Boat: Valiant 40

Whenever someone asks me what I need for my boat, I always reply "A dumpster."

My sister is still trying to give me stuff for the boat. Fending her off has become a prideful art.

"How about a cozy for your french press?"
No, dishtowels work great.

"How about a kettle? You drink so much coffee..."
No, that's what a saucepan is for. Heating stuff.

"You need a rack to put stuff on in your shower stall."
Um, no, the shower stall usually is home to Wilson, my gennaker (so named because of it's size it's like living with another person). Wilson would not like a rack there.
Old 01-10-2013, 16:17   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Whenever someone asks me what I need for my boat, I always reply "A dumpster." . . . Um, no, the shower stall usually is home to Wilson, my gennaker (so named because of it's size it's like living with another person). Wilson would not like a rack there.
I want a Gennaker, but i don't have room to store it
Old 01-10-2013, 18:40   #53

Boat: Catalina 27 std rig

Better to have it (stuff) and not need it than need it and not have it. I have a microwave on my 27' Catalina, plus about a half ton of other nearly always useful stuff. Who knows when you might need 75lbs. of lead, or a bench vice, or------? You get the idea. The good news is the boat is still above its Plimsoll mark.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:18   #54

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I do! I've visited ships in the US, Holland, Sweden, and England. Very cool, but unbelievable how close the hammocks are hung. . . and sleeping next to the gun powder room argggg. Just finished the movie "Sea Wolf" last night, not as brutal as Jack London's book, but pretty dismal.
J, Jack London is one of the great "forgotten" American authors. His style and technique epitomizes the essence of American writing and influenced countless authors, including Hemingway, who benefitted from his uniquely American voice. His non-fiction piece "The Cruise of the Snark" written in 1911 details his cruise across the Pacific in his ketch--the Snark should be required reading for anyone who loves boats, exploration and the sea. Take a look. Good luck, good sailing and good reading.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08   #55

Quote:
J, Jack London is one of the great "forgotten" American authors. His style and technique epitomizes the essence of American writing and influenced countless authors, including Hemingway, who benefitted from his uniquely American voice. His non-fiction piece "The Cruise of the Snark" written in 1911 details his cruise across the Pacific in his ketch--the Snark should be required reading for anyone who loves boats, exploration and the sea. Take a look. Good luck, good sailing and good reading.
Agreed! Recently I watched "Deep Water" documenting the 1960s Around the Word Race focusing on Donald Crowhurst's debacle. Another eye opener.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46   #56

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

My wife bought a big boat so we would not have the problem? However, after 17 years we are close to being full. At least once/twice a year we have to go though our cloths/shoes if we want to buy the newest trendy stuff. We each have one stateroom and share a walk in closet. We both read a lot, especially in the winter but with the new E reads we donít have very many paper books any more, so we have some bare shelf space.

We do not cook and use throw away paper/plastic so we do not have much galley/kitchen/cooking stuff. Micro wave and/or grill on the back deck. Most of the kitchen stuff we have used for other purposes. Like the baster/sucker up thing is in the engine room to suck up misc fluids, the tongs/ long grabber thing is also in the engine room to reach things that fell into the bilge and the metal wiper thing is used to mix paint. So we have them but not in the galley/kitchen and multi uses.

We have never lit the oven, so itís used to store the pots/pans that we never use. The propane stove we have not used for 2 years, so we use the smoke glass fold down top as additional counter space where the PC sits most of the time as that is the best internet reception.

So cloths/shoes are our biggest out of control items or at least mine!
Old 02-10-2013, 15:28   #57

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Jack London is indeed one of the greatest American writers. Most know of his more popular writings, but he has quite a few less known ones that are very chilling and thought provoking.
You can peruse a complete collection of Jack London's works at Sonoma State University here: Jack London: Writings .
If you haven't read prescient stories like The Strength of the Strong:The Unparalleled Invasion be prepared for a jolt, definitely not PC stuff...
Old 02-10-2013, 16:18   #58

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
As an English major and a former Alaskan, I agree, Jack London is one of the great writers, and under-appreciated. He's often thought of in the same category as Robert Service, but sorry Robert, your stuff may be memorable and catchy and popular but Jack London is up there with Hemingway in my mind. To Build a Fire. Thought of that story every arctic winter night in Fairbanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 16:30   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Jack London is indeed one of the greatest American writers. . . You can peruse a complete collection of Jack London's works at Sonoma State University here: Jack London: Writings .
If you haven't read prescient stories like The Strength of the Strong:The Unparalleled Invasion be prepared for a jolt, definitely not PC stuff...
Thanks, I did go to Jack London Park just outside Sonoma. I'll check out the URL. I have a long weekly commute for my current gig, so I recently downloaded the free audio of Cruise of the Snark at The Cruise of the Snark : Jack London : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive .
Old 07-10-2013, 15:31   #60

Our boat's name is "Buoyant," and we're trying to embrace that concept of being lighter before we sail away.
But as I get necessary stuff, and especially small spare parts, I'm at a loss trying to figure out how to STORE this stuff so I'll ever find it again. Is the answer lots of little sealable plastic boxes? Do you try to organize things by type (e.g. hardware) or usage (e.g. galley)?
LOVE the Skippers Cockpit Box idea; that one makes great sense.
Anyway, I'm looking for Great Small Parts Storage Ideas (and maybe should start another topic for it but it seems to fit with one).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: