Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2013, 17:38   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Bad Weather Decisions

I have stayed in a slip for one hurricane and a few tropical storms, but only in very well-protected marinas with tall pilings to accomodate surge and removal of windage.... extra lines. More often, I move to a protected place where I spend my time on one good anchor with an approx. 200' of chain with a series of "back-up" snubbers as the primary snubber may fail. If a hurricane forecast track targets me within three days, I'm looking for the following: 1- well inland waterway 2- little fetch 3- good holding substrate 4- shallow depths 5- wind protection (topography, buildings, trees,etc) 6- forgiving shore (mud/sand) 7- little debris (logs, sheet metal boat house roofs, etc.) 8- few or no other anchored boats
As an east coast US "coastal cruiser" I can always find the first four criteria and often the last four. It's easier to protect you boat if you're not concerned with a house, business, other family and you have the time to find protection. Sure, by hiding out early I'm sometimes prepared for a non-event, but I've done well in a couple of ca. 80mph and one 110mph, 'probably a dozen 40-60mph. Living aboard, mostly in Florida, for over forty years keeps me alert!
Old 25-07-2013, 17:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Then replace the whole water damaged interior , the engine , wiring , mechanicals etc , !! Lol.
Dave
Hence, the last two lines (that you quoted)
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 21:58   #18

Boat: 28' Bennington
Since I am a pilot, I can be anywhere close to an airport. If you had a choice, would u sail up to the NE during summer and FL/Gulf/Carib. during winter or keep a boat in Florida year 'round and look for shelter ?? I grew up on west coast of Florida.

Thanks for all the input. Nothing like getting info from experienced people !!!

Les
Lespilot57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 06:44   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

We've been cruising north from Florida since 2002 during the summers, but this is more for adventure and comfort than an escape from the hurricane threat. For thirty years we remained in Florida during hurricane season and we often cruised to the Bahamas from june through august. Many places in Florida offer safety,- up the waterways in Fort Lauderdale; up the St. Lucie River or on the St. Johns River south of Jacksonville. 'many on the Gulf coast too. If you're plan is to keep your boat safe while you are working far away; it will be important to keep you boat in a safe location. The greatest amount of hurricane losses are from those leaving their boat with the backing of insurance while they tend to the house, family, business and other priorities. With some scouting and aide of those with local knowledge you can locate in a place with relative safety. If you are able, like us, to seek the best protection in a radius of three days travel before the hurricane, then you can do very well. As a cautionary note, don't be too late to make a passage to safety that requires a bridge opening. When traffic is dense on hurricane escape roadways the bridges will not open and they often will not open if the winds reach 35+. Timing is very important!
Old 26-07-2013, 06:50   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i sailed west fla most part of a year except the jan and feb months--those are tooo cold...i liked psj for a potential home base --the marina seems ok--but in a situation of big bad storms, i do not know. seems most named stuff goes elsewhere, at present.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:01   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=zeehag;1294091 .................i liked psj for a potential home base ..............apalach......... [/QUOTE]

On the Florida panhandle: psj = Port Saint Joe
apalach = Apalachicola
'just for those without Zeehag's local knowledge.
Old 26-07-2013, 07:14   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

capt force---ssshhhhhhhh!!!!!! too pretty there... dont announce so loud!!!!

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather