Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 03:10   #1

Atlantic Crossing

Hello!

Would anybody be willing to take on this scenario challenge? It's a genuine question hoping for a genuine answer.

So, you have to advise an absolute amateur how to cross the Atlantic from England to North America.

The only priority is to make it there in one piece.

So the information required is, which route would you advise them to take, how long would you expect the crossing to take, what essential supplies would be required and what would be the best choice of vessel to make the journey.

Please no answers like 'I would tell them not to do it'. I understand completely that for an amateur to take this on would be utterly ridiculous.

Remember the priority is just to make it there. How long it takes and how much it costs are not particularly important.

Please also try to give reasons why you would recommend one route over another or one ship over another.

Thanks in anticipation,

C.A.
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:25   #2

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23
Re: Atlantic crossing

Ok I'll bite. Delta or United - London to NewYork any day of the week Less than 14 hours. Take a creditcard but most international flights you drink for free. ;~)
markprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:26   #3

As you probably know it depends on the size and type of boat
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
As you probably know it depends on the size and type of boat

Hence the part of the question 'which is the best choice of vessel'.
Old 24-11-2013, 03:48   #5

Missed that, sorry! The reality of this part of the question is that almost anything can safely sail across the Atlantic assuming you don't get into really bad weather. Budget has lots to do with the answer but it also depends on how many people you might be taking with you.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 04:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Captain America.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 04:15   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Silly question. Is he doing this single handed? If money is not important then buy a 100 foot oyster, hire a crew of ten experience sailors, load up on gin, tonic, wine ,and beer. Don't forget to hire a cordon bleu cook and stock up the fridge and freezer.

Routing? Uk to canaries turn to starboard (right for a landlubber) keep going until you reach the carribean.

Time 2weeks uk to canaries , 2weeks canaries to carribean

Silly question, too many varibles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 04:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
Hello!

Would anybody be willing to take on this scenario challenge? It's a genuine question hoping for a genuine answer.

So, you have to advise an absolute amateur how to cross the Atlantic from England to North America.

The only priority is to make it there in one piece.

So the information required is, which route would you advise them to take, how long would you expect the crossing to take, what essential supplies would be required and what would be the best choice of vessel to make the journey.

Please no answers like 'I would tell them not to do it'. I understand completely that for an amateur to take this on would be utterly ridiculous.

Remember the priority is just to make it there. How long it takes and how much it costs are not particularly important.

Please also try to give reasons why you would recommend one route over another or one ship over another.

Thanks in anticipation,

C.A.
I have crossed the Atlantic 3 times, but never from England. I think I would sail south to the Canaries and cross south of the Bermuda high. As for the boat, my simple comment is the biggest one can afford the better- for comfort and safety, IMO. Allow up to 3 weeks from the Canaries. If they don't have much for crew, a good autopilot (provided they have adequate power) or windvane steering is essential. A pole for the headsail is a must and they need to know how to use it. Reef early, take a couple more days.
charlesosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 05:48   #9

No, I'm not going to say that they shouldn't do it. What I'm going to say is that anyone who is ready to do a trip like this does not have to ask such rudimentary questions. By the time they are ready to make such a trip in a reasonably safe manner, they will know how to answer all of these questions for themselves.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 05:57   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, I'm not going to say that they shouldn't do it. What I'm going to say is that anyone who is ready to do a trip like this does not have to ask such rudimentary questions. By the time they are ready to make such a trip in a reasonably safe manner, they will know how to answer all of these questions for themselves.

Agree BUT also if one does try to answer the question it isn't possible to give any meaningful answer without just a wee bit more information.

1. The question didn't mention sail or power boat but guessing from the context of the question the OP means sail??

2. Budget? Which also will allow some assumptions about what kind and size boat.

3. Crew? Solo or a full boat.

4. Time of year or just leave at the best time?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 07:15   #11

Hi,

Thanks for the answers so far. To offer more clarification, in the scenario money is no object, BUT the person has to do it by themselves.

It can be sail boat OR power boat whichever YOU think is best for one person to manage.

The trip can be taken at any time of year. I'm looking for best case scenario for any route at the best time of year.

The point of the scenario is that the person is not ready to make the trip but they have to. So what vessel should an absolute amateur on their own use to attempt an Atlantic crossing?

The consensus so far appears to favor the Canaries-Caribbean route. And 4-5 weeks best case for the journey time.
Old 25-11-2013, 08:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the answers so far. To offer more clarification, in the scenario money is no object, BUT the person has to do it by themselves.

It can be sail boat OR power boat whichever YOU think is best for one person to manage.

The trip can be taken at any time of year. I'm looking for best case scenario for any route at the best time of year.

The point of the scenario is that the person is not ready to make the trip but they have to. So what vessel should an absolute amateur on their own use to attempt an Atlantic crossing?

The consensus so far appears to favor the Canaries-Caribbean route. And 4-5 weeks best case for the journey time.
An absolute amateur single handing across the atlantic...... unless you have some knowledge the routing is irrelevant - how are you going to follow a route. You may start but I fear you will never arrive. Not being negative, just realistic. Believe me, it gets nasty out there even for experienced sailors on fully crewed boats, weather changes, things break, accidents happen.....

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 08:38   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
. The point of the scenario is that the person is not ready to make the trip but they have to. So what vessel should an absolute amateur on their own use to attempt an Atlantic crossing? The consensus so far appears to favor the Canaries-Caribbean route. And 4-5 weeks best case for the journey time.

Try the Queen Mary.....

Some weeks ago there was a thread in this forum about dumb questions. This one got the jackpot.
"An absolute amateur crossing alone the Atlantic"? is it your mother in law you want to send across?
Old 25-11-2013, 08:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi,

How about a little more clarification, like why are you asking a completely theoretical, unlikely and unrealistic question? Slow day at home and you're daydreaming? Writing a term paper on unlikely scenarios?
Old 25-11-2013, 09:07   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
To offer more clarification, in the scenario money is no object, BUT the person has to do it by themselves.

Money is no object so you spend about $30,000,000 and buy a 150' Feadship. Everything on the boat is automated so all you have to do is program in the destination, crank the engines and turn on the autopilot.

One person could do it easily. Piece of cake, multiple engines so if one conks out you have a spare. Docking the boat singlehanded at the destination could be tricky but you didn't mention that. Could just pull in to a harbor and drop an anchor anyway.

Quote:
In a 150' Feadship pretty much any time except winter or hurricane season. So late spring to early summer or mid to late fall. Route as mentioned, south for a while, then turn west until you hit land. With a power boat you can motor through the Atlantic high pressure zone since you don't need the wind for power.

Tags
atlantic crossing