Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 19:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Assuming You Carry a Firearm On Board - Which is Best?

This thread is not intended to discuss whether to carry or not. Assuming that you have made the decision to carry, which firearm(s) is/are best for your boat?

Short range pistol, long range sniper rifle, shot gun? Arm yourself to defend against someone on board? Arm yourself to defend at a distance? A gun that can penetrate a hull and an engine block?

My favorite boat carry gun is the stainless steel Desert Eagle 50 caliper. A little overkill for close range, but one of the few handguns that can reach out 100+ yards.

My logic, as I explained to a Bahamian Customs Agent once regarding the 50 caliper, is that I don't want to shoot any people. I carry it because I can take out their engine block and compromise their hull, since I won't win a race. Thoughts?
Old 17-08-2015, 19:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Assuming You Carry a Firearm On Board - Which is Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
This thread is not intended to discuss whether to carry or not. Assuming that you have made the decision to carry, which firearm(s) is/are best for your boat?

Short range pistol, long range sniper rifle, shot gun? Arm yourself to defend against someone on board? Arm yourself to defend at a distance? A gun that can penetrate a hull and an engine block?

My favorite boat carry gun is the stainless steel Desert Eagle 50 caliper. A little overkill for close range, but one of the few handguns that can reach out 100+ yards.

My logic, as I explained to a Bahamian Customs Agent once regarding the 50 caliper, is that I don't want to shoot any people. I carry it because I can take out their engine block and compromise their hull, since I won't win a race. Thoughts?
Most 3rd world and other cops don't want you carrying better stuff than they. Many places have a hard time with semi-auto. England won't even let you have a flair launcher. Lots of places recognize the "need" to hunt. This said, a single or double shot shotgun is your most acceptable option and least likely to send you to jail. Be prepared to loose it so buy a cheap piece of used hardware. If it looks old and crappy - better. If you can arrange a locked safe aboard for gun & ammo it may help.

Shotgun is noted by pirates as the most feared weapon a boater might have. 00Buck and slugs would do serious damage to anyone coming over your transom. I figure a turkey round (#4,5,6 3.5" turkey magnum) would be instant at close range and open choke.
Old 17-08-2015, 19:37   #3

Quote:

All three. However, for the long-range attack, much better to go with a rifle and good scope. A rifle trumps the DE for accuracy, and best to see actual faces, uniforms, and other essential data before squeezing off a few rounds. Keep a Glock 9 and sawed-off pump 12-gauge for the close quarter stuff.

What's also important is for the wife to have significant range time under her belt. And, teach her how to use a cleaning kit for when you prefer to kick back topside with a few tasty gin and tonics.... with ice, of course.

It's a shared experience, so the cleaning should be also. Plus, knowing weapons inside and out instills confidence.

Have fun, and select accordingly.
Old 17-08-2015, 19:41   #4

Boat: csy 37

May depend on where you're cruising. In my neck of the ocean, Florida/Bahamas, a close and personal situation is more likely than a boatload of pirates approaching at high speed.

1. A snubnose 38 or 357. When the intruder is already in the cabin with you it's easy to whip around and ready to shoot - no safety to be concerned with.

2. A high capacity 9mm or 40 s&w auto. Good for when a suspicious boat comes alongside and wants to board. 14+ round magazine.

In "real life" I'm a shotgun guy, clay target shooting. Put more than 10,000 rounds a year through my target guns. But I'll be damned if I put a $15,000 Kolar skeet gun at risk on my boat.
Old 17-08-2015, 19:50   #5

Boat: Lagoon 38

40 caliber pistol and a shot gun both are effective up to and including 100 yards. The shotgun with rifle slugs. A scoped rifle is tuff to use on a boat with even a small amount of movement. Binoculars could be used to identify the threat or uniforms.
Old 17-08-2015, 19:54   #6

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:

Think you are looking for Soldier of Fortune magazine.
Old 17-08-2015, 19:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I highly doubt most people could hit the boat let alone make a kill shot at 100 yards while underway. Short of using a machine gun and tracer rounds or huge amounts of range time it is a mistake to think this is realistic.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 17-08-2015, 20:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
40 caliber pistol and a shot gun both are effective up to and including 100 yards. The shotgun with rifle slugs. A scoped rifle is tuff to use on a boat with even a small amount of movement. Binoculars could be used to identify the threat or uniforms.
Exactly right on the scope. No way you could use one on a small boat in any kind of waves at all.

In fact, hitting anything at any distance from a moving boat with any weapon is way more difficult than most people realize. I'm no sniper but have been shooting since I was a boy, was captain of the high school rifle team and could hit 50% dove on the wing with a 20 gauge when I was 14.

I have tried shooting bottles and cans tossed off the boat with a Ruger Mini-14. Even in 2-3' swells, a pretty mild day, at 100 yards I was lucky to hit within 10 yards of the bottle.

Go out one day and give it a try.
Old 17-08-2015, 20:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I highly doubt most people could hit the boat let alone make a kill shot at 100 yards while underway. Short of using a machine gun and tracer rounds or huge amounts of range time it is a mistake to think this is realistic.
Old 17-08-2015, 20:12   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

CF has a group for gun owners:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gun owners

If you wish to post your query, could you please join the group and do so there.

This thread is closed.

Regards,
avb3