Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 15:38   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
You CAN'T just drop that and not explain!!!
"Frick'n Lasers!"

No seriously, an electric pottery kiln.... (cue laughter)

My wife does pottery as well as metal work, and one possible" make money while cruising" scheme would be sailing up and down the east coast selling at Art Fairs. That part of the plan is sound (I think) . Making pottery, which is very fragile, and needs a kiln that is currently hooked to a 220V 50amp AC outlet, while anchored out in potentially bumpy anchorages is almost as batsh*t crazy as selling art to pay for marina costs/access to electricity as well as living expenses. Then there's the air compressor, plasma cutter and welder... Needless to say, the noise from something like an Air-X would be the least noisy thing coming from the boat :-)

Current thinking is either a "home base" somewhere cheap for the art studio stuff, or saving up some more cash and/or me doing some IT contracting gigs.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:46   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Anyone Know The Story Of This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
(...)

2) At the time I was not thinking 120hp, but closer to the engine that is in there now. For living aboard, I also have a crazy weird electrical need that would have required a massive gen set anyway, if it is even possible. Right now that is a ways off..
The quoted displacement is 21t, which I assume is light. Add water, diesel and junk and she will easily be 25t+. Multiply by 5 and you end up with a 125 hp or thereabout.

She is too big and to immobile to substitute a decent mobile home either.

Neither fish nor flesh.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:52   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
"Frick'n Lasers!"

No seriously, an electric pottery kiln.... (cue laughter)

My wife does pottery as well as metal work, and one possible" make money while cruising" scheme would be sailing up and down the east coast selling at Art Fairs. That part of the plan is sound (I think) . Making pottery, which is very fragile, and needs a kiln that is currently hooked to a 220V 50amp AC outlet, while anchored out in potentially bumpy anchorages is almost as batsh*t crazy as selling art to pay for marina costs/access to electricity as well as living expenses. Then there's the air compressor, plasma cutter and welder... Needless to say, the noise from something like an Air-X would be the least noisy thing coming from the boat :-)

Current thinking is either a "home base" somewhere cheap for the art studio stuff, or saving up some more cash and/or me doing some IT contracting gigs.
You should do well in NC we love good pottery,such as Seagrove(Ben Owen is my favorite)Catawba valley(alcaline glaze) Pottersville,Dave the Slave and DS(Dave Sanborne)..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:03   #19

Boat: Mac 26X

What about a propane fired kiln? Maybe if it was big enough you could also help dry out the cusions?
Old 22-02-2013, 20:40   #20

Boat: Trismus 37

As I said 120 + HP is optimum, but 60/65hp would work just not optimum, you would just have to be more circumspect in how you operated her.
Given that a 5LW Gardner puts out 65HP, but with a torque that would be at least twice that of a 65HP Lehman, plus it's twice the physical size!
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 07:16   #21

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
I've seen that hull in person in St Paul myself too. Every time I see that listing I have to laugh at the asking price. I tend to like Watergate Marina - lots of owners working on their boats, a real working marina, not snobby - but I don't think that hull will ever be turned into a working vessel again.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 07:18   #22
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i would give him $5000 for it.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 07:46   #23

OK. But perhaps it can be converted into an inexpensive floating home?

When I get too old for all that sailing nonsense I believe I might still prefer to live on a boat rather than ashore.

I often look at liveaboard barges, the Dutch ones, but also the narrowboat type from the UK, and then I think WHOA! - a whole new world!

b.
Old 23-02-2013, 19:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I often look at liveaboard barges, the Dutch ones, but also the narrowboat type from the UK, and then I think WHOA! - a whole new world!

b.
Me too. I believe that will be my next build. It will serve as a great looper and retirement home.
Old 24-02-2013, 03:03   #25
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

they cant be good in bad seas.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 05:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert
they cant be good in bad seas.
certainly not!! The whole idea is that they use in canals in rivers
Old 24-02-2013, 14:31   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
I am actually serious. I went and looked at it, and every so often (like when someone vents about how fed up they are with working on their boat project) I wonder what it would take to finish it.

It's also been my "what if" boat. For example, what if you took out the 50hp , and put in a hybrid electric drive (like mbianka)? How many LiFePO cells would you need ?

That can work for a very light vessel, especially a cat. You will not be happy with the performance on that tank. If you re-power, maybe you could add its mate or a like-sized motor and go twin. If you want to save money on diesel, consider an infinitely variable prop. I can change our pitch from the binacle. This lets us optimize for sea conditions.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 14:53   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you pull the trigger on this you should check out this source for some equipment. I've been there. There are tons of items not in the tour. You should be able to find salvaged ports if needed among other stuff.

Stoneage Antiques the Nautical Place The candy store.

One of my yard mates has a 78 foot steel home-built sloop. The rigging is galvanized steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STONE AGE 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	55669  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 17:51   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK. But perhaps it can be converted into an inexpensive floating home?

When I get too old for all that sailing nonsense I believe I might still prefer to live on a boat rather than ashore.

b.
Was watching a TV programme the other month about folks living in small homes - everything from shipping containers to garden sheds to tents in trees! to cabins in the woods to city centre apartments the size of a closet!.......and the thought occured to me that a boat would be great way to live ashore "small"........

.......by ashore I don't mean on stands in a boatyard, but a boat dug into the ground - maybe in a field. The idea being that the boat did not have to be seaworthy! (so cheap to buy) and that any alterations would not have to be boat style structurally sound. If the keel was lead could even cut it off for scrap!........Was thinking of something like an old wooden sailing boat (50'?) that otherwise would be scrapped - could keep the mast, even if cut down.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
(...) could keep the mast, even if cut down.
Yep. But in many countries governments ban such lifestyles. They do not want people to live in a way that is outside of what is clearly taxable.

That's why I like the idea of the only tax being the one included in prices of the goods.

b.