Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38   #1

Boat: hillyard 36ft sloop
advice and help to cross the tasman

Hi everyone, I have just ended my dreaming and bought a 1960 36ft Hillyard centre cockpit sloop. I live on the coast near Gladstone, qld, Australia and intend to learn how to sail her off the beautiful keppel islands near here.
Problem number one is I bought the boat in NZ! So my first trip is across the tasman...help!!! The boat is in excellent condition, with just a few bits to sort before I can get nz cat 1. Is there anyone out there who can help? Work and money commitments mean she wont be ready to sail until late december. When is the best time to go from nz to qld, and could I go via new Caledonia ?
Is there anyone out there who would like to skipper my boat across...I have very limited experience but am keen to give it a go!..thanks for reading this, phil
westsail32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:46   #2

Re: advice and help to cross the tasman

Unless you are a NZ citizen you do not require Cat 1 if you can register the boat in Australia. However although those requirements are somewhat daunting and comprehensive you would be well advised to read them. They are available from the yachting NZ site.
In effect sailing between around December to March is not advised because of the cyclone season and you can really add a month to each end. You might leave in April but this year most would leave in May. Later can be okay with a clear window apart from the risk of storms and it is colder.
The route to Qld is 1189 miles no doubt plus a bit if you have headwinds etc. It is 885 to Noumea and 773 to Brisbane. With a full keeled boat you should reckon an average say 100 miles pd. So via New Caledonia adds at least 5 days plus stopover time.
You need to time your departure to match the weather systems, but are likely to have at least one bad patch on each passage as the systems change about every 6-7 days.
Any wooden boat is going to get close scrutiny for termites and any growth. As this boat appears well travelled it would be considered high risk, (wood tropics and toredo worms). The inspection and fumigation costs are quite high let alone any remedial work.
Crossing the tasman can be challenging. It would be easier with 3 crew at least 2 being experienced at offshore. I would give serious thought to paying a skipper and even for a delivery. They would want to assure themselves that the boat was fully seaworthy and equipped. You too would want to spend some time doing a shakedown and familiarising yourself with the boat. There are always things missed in a survey more so if the previous owner was not rich and obsessive compulsive.
In short summer is not a good time so your choices are next month or in a year unless you want a winter sail.
The boat has obviously done some ocean miles and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from her.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:54   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Is that the one that was on Trademe? Looks like a nice boat.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Unless you are a NZ citizen you do not require Cat 1 if you can register the boat in Australia. However although those requirements are somewhat daunting and comprehensive you would be well advised to read them. They are available from the yachting NZ site.
In effect sailing between around December to March is not advised because of the cyclone season and you can really add a month to each end. You might leave in April but this year most would leave in May. Later can be okay with a clear window apart from the risk of storms and it is colder.
The route to Qld is 1189 miles no doubt plus a bit if you have headwinds etc. It is 885 to Noumea and 773 to Brisbane. With a full keeled boat you should reckon an average say 100 miles pd. So via New Caledonia adds at least 5 days plus stopover time.
You need to time your departure to match the weather systems, but are likely to have at least one bad patch on each passage as the systems change about every 6-7 days.
Any wooden boat is going to get close scrutiny for termites and any growth. As this boat appears well travelled it would be considered high risk, (wood tropics and toredo worms). The inspection and fumigation costs are quite high let alone any remedial work.
Crossing the tasman can be challenging. It would be easier with 3 crew at least 2 being experienced at offshore. I would give serious thought to paying a skipper and even for a delivery. They would want to assure themselves that the boat was fully seaworthy and equipped. You too would want to spend some time doing a shakedown and familiarising yourself with the boat. There are always things missed in a survey more so if the previous owner was not rich and obsessive compulsive.
In short summer is not a good time so your choices are next month or in a year unless you want a winter sail.
The boat has obviously done some ocean miles and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from her.
I am nz citizen..but also uk citizen!..thanks for the advice, I am confident that the boat is good and I am now thinking that september would be a good time to cross. I know aus has strict rules and I will just have to hope she passes all their rules. I am prepared to pay for a skipper and yes 3 crew would be ideal.I intend to register her as british and then expect to have to pay customs in aus as I am resident there now.
Old 05-04-2012, 19:50   #5

hi, yes it was on trademe, I went to look at her a few days ago and she is a very nice boat, well travelled but also well looked after. She was totally rebuilt 10yrs ago and the owner is a true craftsman. She is going to be put on the hard in a few day and I have a final payment to make in 3mths..then she is mine. Not much to do to get her cat 1
Old 05-04-2012, 20:08   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail32 View Post
Hi everyone, I have just ended my dreaming and bought a 1960 36ft Hillyard centre cockpit sloop. I live on the coast near Gladstone, qld, Australia and intend to learn how to sail her off the beautiful keppel islands near here.
...........l
Given your opening statement, my thoughts are that the Tasman is not a good place to start the learning curve but I suspect you already know this .

I have only sailed it once from Brisbane to Auckland in November on a 46ft sloop. It took 14 days and we had everything from brisk sailing in 15+ kts to being becalmed somewhere in the middle (with mirror like surface on the water) to 35+ knots on the nose with "secured" gear washed off the deck. Crew of 6 with 4 sea-sick half the time, 1 all the time!

Anyway, the timing is important and while you want to end up in Qld, going further south to say Sydney is potentially possible if you need to do it during the shoulder parts of the cyclone season. Of course not so good if you are paying a skipper to do extra miles.

Chris_gee's advice seems sound.

I would endorse a delivery skipper who is willing to add you to his/her crew list.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:21   #7

Boat: Able 50

Aim for a port in southern Queensland and there is no need to worry about cyclones - maybe Mooloolaba ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Aim for a port in southern Queensland and there is no need to worry about cyclones - maybe Mooloolaba ?
I grant it is rare but southern Qld is still cyclone prone, more rare in northern NSW and extremely rare further south.
However you point is sound in that with much better forecasting now available, it s possible to plan for central/southern Qld but head south if required. I am assuming a straight run from the top of NZ.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-04-2012, 20:41   #9

Boat: Moody 425

Echo the above sentiments. I personally would aim for say Coffs Harbour, and then you can hop up the coast far easier. There are a few delivery skippers who would probably do it for you and happily have you along as well. Would be a great learning opportunity with of course however a pricetag attached.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32   #10

I am really pleased to get so many replies so soon. I agree that a delivery skipper with me as crew would be ideal and then head for coffs harbour and keep her there for awhile...while I go and earn more money! So if I do a straight run from whangerei harbour nz to coffs harbour will keep the mileage down, avoid any cyclones and make it a shorter passage. Anyone know of how much it would cost for a delivery to coffs?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29   #11

Boat: Moody 425

It varies soooo wildly!!! We had friends who had their boat delivered from Mooloolaba back to Sydney and the dearest quote was three times the cheapest.

The good one's are expensive because these guys have immaculate records and buckets of experience. They generally make a living moving Swan 64's and the like back and forth between Melbourne/Sydney and Hamilton Island.Now if you had squillions and owned a Swan 64, how much would you pay to know your boat came home in one piece ? That is what these guys charge

I really hate to guess at a figure, but timing might help you out here, the east coast cruising season and the months before and after Hamilton Island Race week are very busy for these guys, so if you get in quick before then you might have more success.
Try trade-aboat/afloat/Coastal passage, ask around yacht clubs.

Failing a delivery skipper, maybe an experienced(genuinely) sailor/cruiser who is willing to help you out in return for costs and a lot of beer in Coffs would be a sensation solution. Finding said person will be the trick though!!!

A disclaimer here as well about making sure you are very happy and confident with whoever you trust on and with your boat. Ask yourself do I want this person in the cockpit with me in the middle of the tasman in 40knot headwinds????
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:12   #12

Boat: Traditional 30

I did the reverse trip a few years back (Gladstone to Auckland) on a Davidson 55. It was just after the Hammo series. So late Sept I guess it was. Great breeze, although somewhat on the nose, as we left. Once into more southern blue water we had it on the stern for most of the trip. Dodged the odd squall (nothing scary 25-30 knots). But by and large, it was warm- ish with nice conditions generally.

If you go during trades (winter) I would get north as quickly as possible to take advantage of them. (obviously this advice conflicts with the Coffs discussion further up. But its just my thoughts as it would slingshot you somewhat)

Our trip was three handed. Perhaps a little tiring on a big boat whos owner didnt like using autopilots. But certainly do-able. Side note- he fell asleep on watch using the pilot himself.

The cost of a delivery skipper is VERY variable. I was a professional instructor at the time and did that run for the cost of airfares just to get some international water onto my log book. I am sure there are plenty of good sailors who can help out at a reasonable rate. Talk to the local sailing schools. You may pick up a well trained offshore crew member (with survival skills) and even an inshore instructor who, like me, wanted more blue water miles.

Congrats on the boat and enjoy the sail
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07   #13

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I grant it is rare but southern Qld is still cyclone prone, more rare in northern NSW and extremely rare further south.
However you point is sound in that with much better forecasting now available, it s possible to plan for central/southern Qld but head south if required. I am assuming a straight run from the top of NZ.
Really ?

What was the last cyclone to hit Mooloolaba or even as far up as Bundaberg in December or January ? I can remember David in January 1976 ( which crossed the coast near Mackay but there were a couple of ugly days in Mooloolaba ) but apart from that . . . . .
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Really ?

What was the last cyclone to hit Mooloolaba or even as far up as Bundaberg in December or January ? I can remember David in January 1976 ( which crossed the coast near Mackay but there were a couple of ugly days in Mooloolaba ) but apart from that . . . . .
Here are a few that have had significant effect on the weather and sea state (coastal and offshore) southwards from Fraser Island. These aren't only Dec or Jan and some passed well offshore so didn't impact in the media so much but would have impacted vessels coming from NZ. Several made it down to Byron Bay and one to Sydney.

2004,2003,1998,1996,1995,1994,1993,1992,1990,1981, 1980,1976,1976,1974,1972,1971,1967,1959,1957,1954, 1951....the list goes on back to the first recorded cyclone in Brisbane in 1864.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:27   #15
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

PM Dana Tenacity. If he sees this thread he will jump right in. He's done the Tasman a lot, does deliveries and is a solid bloke (just needs to get out of his office a bit more)
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote