Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03   #31

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Abandoning Ship

Quote:
Anybody practice with their emergency tillers? Me neither. Something worth doing, I think.
I have with mine--though it's longer and has better leverage than most emergency tillers I have seen.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

re emergency tillers:

On our boat (arghhhh that old grp 500 a month thread clunker) you just snap it on and go. Easy.

Alas, on one top shelf EU built boat (no names please) where I had the pleasure of getting her ready for the same passage (Canary Islands to St Lucia) we opened the tiller shaft hatch and what do we find? Uh - mate - a huge hole (at least 2 inches free play each way) and no freaking way the whole operation could be done without one crew down below matching the tiller/shaft with the rudder shaft! And all this in a boat easily priced EUR 1 mio!

Buhahaha - KISS! KISS, mates, and try out your emergency solutions before you need them.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:55   #33

Emergency tillers that only operate below decks? Really? What a sad joke.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:02   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've played with it, but not underway. It is about 10 feet long and fits fine, with plenty of clearance in every direction, and with welded-on loops for lashing to leewards and other rope operations. The boat was designed by Bill Dixon, who was famously obsessed with such details. I recently had the emergency tiller sandblasted and repainted, as it was getting a bit rusty. My boat is a center cockpit, so it fits easily through a hole in the lazarette hatch, and you stand on the afterdeck and steer like the Ancient Mariner, is the idea I guess

What is needed is to try it at sea and in a bit of weather. Note to self.

Know your boat.... One of the most well thought out and fitted...

If a poll were taken (new poll idea) I'll bet 25% don't have or know immediately where their e-tiller is, 50% know it's location but haven't fitted, 20% have fitted and confirmed operation, and 5% have actually used or practiced under way...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:06   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
re emergency tillers:

On our boat (arghhhh that old grp 500 a month thread clunker) you just snap it on and go. Easy.

Alas, on one top shelf EU built boat (no names please) where I had the pleasure of getting her ready for the same passage (Canary Islands to St Lucia) we opened the tiller shaft hatch and what do we find? Uh - mate - a huge hole (at least 2 inches free play each way) and no freaking way the whole operation could be done without one crew down below matching the tiller/shaft with the rudder shaft! And all this in a boat easily priced EUR 1 mio!

Buhahaha - KISS! KISS, mates, and try out your emergency solutions before you need them.

b.
My point exactly....Seen it many times...

Old 11-02-2013, 05:38   #36

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I konw where it is, no I have not fitted or tested it

My defense is that I only bought the boat last year. Note to self. Fit and test this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Know your boat.... One of the most well thought out and fitted...

If a poll were taken (new poll idea) I'll bet 25% don't have or know immediately where their e-tiller is, 50% know it's location but haven't fitted, 20% have fitted and confirmed operation, and 5% have actually used or practiced under way...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:18   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I konw where it is, no I have not fitted or tested it

My defense is that I only bought the boat last year. Note to self. Fit and test this spring.

carstenb...

Clipped on the underside of the port lazzerette I'll bet! I think you're ahead of the majority already!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:42   #38

If there is a new pole , add "Fitted it and found it to be next to useless". I suspect that most center cockpit production boats have a less than practical E tiller. Builders often do things for cosmetic reasons rather than real safety issues. _______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:51   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
If there is a new pole , add "Fitted it and found it to be next to useless". I suspect that most center cockpit production boats have a less than practical E tiller. Builders often do things for cosmetic reasons rather than real safety issues. _______Grant.

Dang Grant... I just finished and should have put that option in! I suppose it fits under I have tried it....

*** wonders if I can edit a poll ? ***

Old 11-02-2013, 08:00   #40

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have brought a vessel to harbor using a 5 gallon bucket to steer, by hanging it over the side. As far as the abandon ship issue goes, in these parts, there have been instances where people have abandoned their vessels only to die from hypothermia in their survival suits and life rafts, and the vessel that had been abandoned still afloat. Would not speculate on an alternative outcome, but would not get off until I put my foot on the masthead light. My Father was fond of saying "a boat will take more abuse than the people riding it.". I am sorry for the couple that lost their vessel, would not speculate on their decision.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
If there is a new pole , add "Fitted it and found it to be next to useless".
If there is a poll for this my answer will be "useless"

Quote:
I suspect that most center cockpit production boats have a less than practical E tiller.
My last center cockpit boat had round deck plate on top of the aft cabin. For months I tried to figure out what the hell it was for. Then pulled out the emergency tiller for a test and realized the post went through the deck fitting to fit into a very sturdy bracket on the top end of the rudder post. So you actually sit in the regular helm seat and steer with the tiller. Really great design. Plan to modify the current rig to work the same way.

Quote:
Builders often do things for cosmetic reasons rather than real safety issues. _______Grant.
And ain't that a fact. Lots of "features" that look good in the sales brochure but don't work at all on the boat. Like "boat equipped with emergency tiller" then you pull it out and it's about a big as a half inch socket wrench.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:37   #42

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I have to second Zeehag. For every renewal of my STCW I have to take a lifeboat and survival class. EVERY ONE has said that if you do not climb up into a life raft you have gotten in too soon. Never leave the mother vessel, it is much easer to find than a raft!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45   #43

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
carstenb...

Clipped on the underside of the port lazzerette I'll bet! I think you're ahead of the majority already!

Yep that is where it is. My boat is in the water but damn if I am going out in e snow to fit the thing. That can wait until spring

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:38   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Yep that is where it is. My boat is in the water but damn if I am going out in e snow to fit the thing. That can wait until spring
Boats and snow do not go together for some people.... ME INCLUDED!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:54   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Any emergency tiller is better than no steering.

None of them are long enough. Need to lash fender boards or boat hooks to it to get the necessary leverage.

Anybody practice with their emergency tillers? Me neither. Something worth doing, I think.
For whatever it's worth, some vanes (like hydro) have their own rudders, so that's pretty cool. Definitely takes the load off the steering gear when you can just keep the boat's rudder amidships and call it good.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote