Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 20:29   #1

6th Continent - Anyone sailing and can take me on?

Hi, I have completed the solo motorbike journey around 4 continents, and now in Australia, travelling on my 20yo Honda Africa Twin since 2012, with no sponsorship or financial support. Once my trip around Australia comes to an end, I would like to reach the South Pole either by boat by myself or if someone can take me on board? Will be grateful for your tips, ideas, suggestions, etc. Thanks. Viktor
Viktor-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 21:00   #2

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: 6th Continent - Anyone sailing and can take me on?

Congratulations on your trip so far. The headquarters for all Australian Antarctic activity is Hobart, Tasmania. You might want to finish your trip there and ask around.

Very few boats on this forum go to Antarctica and the few brave souls that do are usually in boats far too small to take a motorcycle along for the ride.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 22-02-2015, 21:38   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I hate to be a killjpoy but I don't think it is going to happen... especially in light of what happened 4 years ago.

You just aren't going to get a permit.

Three die in 'Viking' yacht off Antarctica | Stuff.co.nz

(the yacht was 45 feet not metres as mentioned here)

Skipper of missing yacht 'Berserk' detained - Yachting World
Old 22-02-2015, 22:45   #4

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

You do your arctic thing and I will mind your bike.It will be safe with me and you can have it back if sorry when you return.
Mind you I do move around a bit and do not have a contact number.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 00:24   #5

People don't get to the South Pole by accident. If you were the kind of person who could get there, then you would have done a lot more research by yourself before asking questions.

Most private or charter yachts leave from South America (not Australia) and head to the Antarctic Peninsula, which is not a good starting point for a South Pole expedition. Most people who ski to the South Pole fly from Punta Arenas to Patriot Hills ($$$$), then take a smaller plane out to the ice edge to start. If you did want to take a private yacht from Australia, then you would probably have to charter one to take you to a suitable starting point ($$$$), but there is a lot of politics around getting permits, so I would recommend starting from another country.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 07:32   #6

Boat: Purchase pending
Send a message via Skype™ to budm303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor-R View Post
Hi, I have completed the solo motorbike journey around 4 continents, and now in Australia, travelling on my 20yo Honda Africa Twin since 2012, with no sponsorship or financial support. Once my trip around Australia comes to an end, I would like to reach the South Pole either by boat by myself or if someone can take me on board? Will be grateful for your tips, ideas, suggestions, etc. Thanks. Viktor
Do Everest first! Think of the fame and glory ... . "Biker ascends to Heaven!"
budm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I hate to be a killjpoy but I don't think it is going to happen... especially in light of what happened 4 years ago.

You just aren't going to get a permit.

Three die in 'Viking' yacht off Antarctica | Stuff.co.nz

(the yacht was 45 feet not metres as mentioned here)

Skipper of missing yacht 'Berserk' detained - Yachting World

I wonder if the Valkyries took them over the Rainbow Bridge to Valhalla?
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:13   #8
BAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor-R View Post
Hey, if you don't ask, the answer is always "no". It never hurts to ask.
BAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:42   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

What an awesome trip you've had so far. If you have a web site please let us know what it is.

When you say you want to go to the South Pole do you mean you'd just like to visit Antarctica? If so then as someone else pointed out, then the Antarctic peninsular travelling, from South America makes a great deal of sense. And there are all number of trip options. Also how do you want to get there?

But to actually reach the South Pole (difficulties aside) then rather than Hobart, most people get there by air, via Christchurch, New Zealand. Christchurch is the main stepping off location for trips to all the bases around the Ross Sea. Predominantly trips by air and larger research and fishing vessels.

For yachts voyaging into the Ross Sea, most leave from Invercargill (New Zealands most southern city) on the 1,800 nautical mile trip (each way) through some of the worst, coldest, windiest and most remote sea in the world.

But for all the difficulties, every Summer a handful of yachts make the trip, but most venture only as far as the sub Antarctic Islands. An example is Andrew Fagan who solo sailed to the Auckland Islands in his 18 foot (yes feet) plywood cruiser Swirly World. On windswept seas | Stuff.co.nz
Theres also a book entitled Swirly World Sails South.

Perhaps it will help in your quest to be more specific in expressing your goals. For example what do you mean by South Pole? There are actually 4 south poles; geographic, magnetic, geomagnetic and point of inaccessibility. Amundsens and Scotts famous voyages were to reach the geographic south pole. Also do you have a specific goal in that you wish to sail there? Or is any method of travel ok?

Certainly the easiest way is to fly. But there are options. Apply for jobs at the various bases. An acquaintance shared your goal and managed to score a job at Scott Base. He actually wintered over twice. You could volunteer as crew on say Sea Shepherd or at a variety of private charter firms. Like with all crew, skippers look for skills, and to go down there, very strong stomachs.

Good luck.
Old 23-02-2015, 15:29   #10

[IMG][/IMG]

I understand that it looks stupid and dangerous. But it is quite possible, though difficult.
In the past I seaman. Glory and fame do not interest a few years ago decided to bypass all the continents and down, and do it.
5 continents already nearly finished - Australia last.
On South America, Ushuaia I was in no navigation, besides I do not care expensive cruise or a plane on one - two days and a couple of photos of the next ice ...
The purpose of the other. -
Yourself or on someone else's sailboat sail to Antarctica, to pass through the south pole through and come out the other side. it will be 6 continents on earth.
Of course without a motorcycle))) I do not have a sponsor and Moto no obligation to drag it there)). In a small boat it is also not a place bike its task successfully completed on five continents.
Antarctica is my opportunity now, only on skis. Without sponsors and money can only be the most simple and accessible, like primitive man)))
With many sponsors can and differently))
As I have long worked in the sea and not to control the sail, practice in a foreign crew boats would be useful to independent travel.
Departing from Australia alone is not necessarily logical to do it in America where you can find very cheap 30 foot old boat and prepare it.
Interested in the opportunities to get valuable experience on a sailboat, hints and tips.
my site Главная страница - Кругосветное одиночное путешествие Виктора "Romantik" Губриенко
Sorry for bad english - online translator))
recent years to communicate in all languages ​​of the planet, will be even worse if I write independently. )))

Понимаю, что все это выглядит глупо и опасно. Но это вполне реально, хоть и сложно.
В прошлом я моряк. Слава и известность не интересуют, несколько лет назад решил обойти все континенты вдоль и поперек, и делаю это.
5 континентов уже почти закончены - Австралия пятая.
На южной Америке, в Ушуайа я был уже в не навигацию, к тому же мне не интересны дорогой круиз или самолет на один - два дня и пара фотографий ближайших льдов...
Цель другая. -
Самостоятельно, или на чужом паруснике доплыть до Антарктиды, пройти через южный полюс насквозь и выйти с другой стороны. это и будет 6 континент по земле.
Конечно без мотоцикла ))) у меня нет мото спонсора и нет обязательств тащить его там)). В маленькой лодке ему тоже не место, мотоцикл свою задачу успешно выполнил на пяти континентах.
Антарктида в моих возможностях сейчас, только на лыжах. Без спонсоров и денег можно только самое простое и доступное, как первобытные люди )))
С спонсорами можно много и по разному ))
Поскольку я уже достаточно давно не работал в море и не управлял парусами, практика в экипаже чужой лодки была бы полезна, перед самостоятельным путешествием.
Отправляться самостоятельно из Австралии вовсе не обязательно, Логичнее это делать из Америки, где можно найти очень дешевую 30 футовую старую лодку и подготовить ее.
Интересуют возможности получить полезный опыт на паруснике, советы и подсказки.
мой сайт Главная страница - Кругосветное одиночное путешествие Виктора "Romantik" Губриенко
Простите за плохой английский - интернет переводчик ))
последние годы общался на всех языках планеты, будет еще хуже если буду писать самостоятельно. )))
Viktor-R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing