Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 17:55   #1

Boat: 30ft clipper 1980 model
30ft clipper 1980 model interior restoration

I stripped most of interior out due to water damage soggy wheat bix comes to mind all removed step father was helping me but he died and im lost without all his knowledge, mainly looking to make the walls and ceiling all white steering away from teak going for low maintenance, im unsure how to put the interior in they used nails and im trying to not use nails at all if possible
Danfalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 20:57   #2

Boat: 75' Catalina 27
Re: 30ft clipper 1980 model interior restoration

What's on the walls and ceiling right now? Are they clean and flat and just in need of paint? If so, treat them like anything else that needs painted - fill, sand, then paint. I personally don't always feel the need to use expensive marine paint on interior cabin surfaces... I'll get a good exterior quality paint... figuring the inside of my boat doesn't have it much harder than the outside of my house.

If you've got rough fiberglass that used to be covered either by wood or vinyl liners... and you need to build new structures... that's a bigger job, and we'd need to know a little more about the boat and YOUR skill level. If you have the skills or are willing to learn them... a lot of sanding and a little epoxy resin can yield a surface that will outlast the rest of your boat by a decade or two. But getting a nice finish on vertical and upside down surfaces is non-trivial - it's definitely more than I'd attempt for a full boat... and if you had the experience to make it an easy job, you'd probably have lead with that!

Which means... some improvising. There are several bathroom-rated paneling products available at the big-box stores - and that's probably what I'd look to if I was trying to do this with average handy-man skills. A lot of those panels are only water-safe on one side though, and will swell and fall apart like cardboard if the backside gets wet... so plan accordingly to keep the bilge from ruining them two months after installation. They sell plastic trim for exterior home use... you may want to trim the paneling in this extending past the edge... so that the bottom two inches are totally impervious to water... so at least you aren't redoing this work over the first window seal that fails.

If you post some pictures and questions about specific features you're trying to cover or build, we can be of more use!

Also, if you HAVEN'T hauled off the garbage from the demo yet... DON'T. You're going to make surprisingly few straight cuts at 90 degree angles. Everything is curved and often not even simply single-curved. If you can find the old scrap that used to fit into a corner, being able to trace it will save you HOURS of time cutting and test fitting and cursing. Lay all of the junk out and before each measure and cut session, go stare at the junk pile and look for anything that might inform your next decision.
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 21:00   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Fairing epoxy (with the appropriate lightweight filler) is really easy to spread on large areas and sands beautifully if you just want a flat surface inside.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 04:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 04:47   #5

I having trouble trying to post pics
Old 14-07-2019, 04:51   #6

You have a very good knowledge and awesome ideas i would like to share photos . She has a great hull but had bn leaking water from fly bridge and windows . I replaced fly bridge with poly ply and same with the deck. I took out over 500 screws out of it .
Old 16-07-2019, 17:34   #7

I have worked out how to up load so photos mate im keen to learn everything I can to make my boat livable thanks in advance
Old 16-07-2019, 17:36   #8

I have photos for you to look at champion ����

Tags
interior, model, restoration