Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 18:12   #106
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No offense, yet that statement is uncalled for. Ridiculous.

How are you going to feel when a swarm of machete & gun-toting yahoos are banging on your hatchways topside while you sit below at anchor in a remote cove unarmed? Brave? Safe? Frightened? What are you going to do? Yell at them? Let your dog bark?

Think about it before typing again.

I've got a better chance of being shot by an uneducated armed US cruiser. Do you get out much?
smj is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 18:16   #107
smj

Quote:
You're scared because you do not understand self defense. You also don't understand "long range" rifles and scopes. Being a deer hunter since 14, please allow me to explain. You, obviously, would never know this, yet it's quite amazing what you can see through a Weaver scope attached atop a 30.06.

What's nice about it is that I can CLEARLY see the faces of the nice gents that just tried to rob me and my wife as they return from 2-300 yards out with their guns for a SECOND TRY. The second try is what brings out the 30.06.

I can also use the Weaver scope to just recon my surroundings in my efforts to stay safe. It's all logically very good. And safe.

That's the way guns work. Don't be scared.

My guess is if you aren't scared you don't feel the need to carry a gun. Where if you are scared then maybe you are the one bearing arms? Let's face it, if you carry a gun you have a fear you can't control without something to make you feel secure. Kind of like a security blanket?
smj is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 19:57   #108

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We are avid gun lovers but will not cruise with fire arms. There are so many other ways to defend yourself. The best is by avoiding known areas of crimes against cruisers. I won't go into all the others it could turn into a long debate. But what happens when you shoot at a boat armed or unarmed and that boat leaves to tell authorities. Whose word are they going to believe? Oh now you've shot someone in. Foreign country and they have the means to go tell authorities or they are related to the authorities which everyone is BTW,,,
There is nothing on our vessel so valuable as to come even close to the value of my life or that of my wifes. If it comes down to a close and personal fight then so be it but to trade arms fire at a distance is absurd. Ever been shot at? Hot incoming fire makes a lot of people sh#t them self's and cry like a baby, but hey it's easy to be an internet tough guy. Most people we have met in other countries would give you the shirt off their backs, we have been given conch and fish and food etc and the locals wont take a penny for it, not so much the case in the US.
And you tell others to think before they type?
Peace and love,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 20:45   #109

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I assume you are planning a circumnavigation of the Caribbean or perhaps the Atlantic Ocean based on the fact you car carrying multiple guns and a dog.

If you are in fact circumnavigating the world, then you will have a lot of problems in the South Pacific, especially with New Zealand and Australia. Before coming though the Panama Canal, it would be wise to check out the laws in our country and for the Kiwis across The Ditch. As it is a bit hard to go around the world without stopping in Australia, it seems your voyage might be problematic.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 20:53   #110

I have pretty much discounted the idea of carrying firearms on my circumnavigation until I can get a concealed weapon license from the United Nations.

What I really need to know is what about stun grenades. Can I take a box full of stun grenades into a Mexican port?

Seriously think about it. Mostly non lethal. Can cause hearing problems and yes hot metal wounds if thrown on top of someone but gee they are absolutely stunning.

If anyone has had experience with stun grenades I would be very interested in hearing first hand reports. If the Mexicans ask why you are carrying a box full of stun grenades you could always tell them you use them for fishing. Which brings up another point. Has anyone had experience using stun grenades for fishing?

GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 21:52   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
There are so many other ways to defend yourself. The best is by avoiding known areas of crimes against cruisers.
That is a given, and is absolutely not what is being discussed here.

Quote:
BTW,,,
There is nothing on our vessel so valuable as to come even close to the value of my life or that of my wifes. If it comes down to a close and personal fight then so be it but to trade arms fire at a distance is absurd.
Absurd? 1) Bad people invade your boat. 2) You successfully get them off. 3) They go away. 4) You see them returning in the same skiff with machetes and guns waved high. 5) You squeeze off a few warning shots in their direction while still 200 yards distant. 6) The pay no heed and keep coming your way. 7) You now start aiming at their skiff.

You see something absurd about that? I don't, except for the fact that they are returning. Please play such a situation any way you wish. I'm not your dad.

Quote:
Ever been shot at?
Yes, and on two separate occasions.

Quote:
Hot incoming fire makes a lot of people sh#t them self's and cry like a baby, but hey it's easy to be an internet tough guy.
This thread is about cruising international waters safely and armed. Please re-read the original post. That is all we are discussing. Best to keep your opinions about others to yourself.

Peace & Love
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2015, 21:56   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
My guess is if you aren't scared you don't feel the need to carry a gun. Where if you are scared then maybe you are the one bearing arms? Let's face it, if you carry a gun you have a fear you can't control without something to make you feel secure. Kind of like a security blanket?
Wow, this thread is becoming tiresome. If you care not for firearms, please avoid them and move on to a different thread. This is an intersting thread to me and some others, including the OP.

To calm your nerves a little, please know that I never "recon" Newport or Boothbay Harbor. Feel better now?
Old 23-03-2015, 21:59   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
If you spend a bit more for something like a Night Force scope you can make shots well past 2-300 mtrs, and they even have special reticles so you dont have to dial, just up or down on the reticle, much faster when seconds count. Id rather keep it as far away as possible.

You will be amazed at the difference. I cant imagine what the night sky would look like out where its actually still dark.
I was thinking daytime when I typed, the same hours as when I go deer hunting.

Thanks for the scope recommendation. Noted!
Old 23-03-2015, 22:09   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, maybe while sitting in a deer stand, 10 feet above terra firma... But from the deck of a sailing yacht, in 10 foot seas in the Mona Passage?

...please allow me to explain. You, obviously, would never know this, yet it's quite amazing what you can see through a pair of image-stabilized Nikons, while aboard a small boat out in The Real World...

Maine deer hunters never use a stand or blind, and we also never use binocs. We also don't bowhunt on game farms.

Just so you know, this is how it's done.

You grab a 30-30 and a very sharp knife. Some prefer a 30.06 with a scope. You put on a fluorescent orange vest. You sit in the woods or the edge of a clearing facing "upwind". You light up a smoke. You wait. Many times your ass just gets wet and cold. You go home, with or without. If with, you dress it in the field.

Where do you hunt? Long Island? A home gave preserve with arrows. The Discovery Channel?

Have a nice hunt!
Old 23-03-2015, 23:28   #115

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Firearms and other weapons

All firearms/weapons on your craft must be reported to Customs.
Certain firearms/weapons may be detained in safe storage for transhipment to your intended port of departure (at Customs expense).

In cases where a firearm/weapon has been detained the Master will be required to contact Customs at least one week prior to departure so that the weapon can be returned.
I do not carry any firearms but whilst reading the thread thought I would check and see what the Australian policy was on visiting vessels, looks fairly sensible.

Australia has fairly strict laws on gun ownership with fairly hefty penalties for unlicensed weapons, bit of a drag but the upside is the gun deaths are comparatively rare.
RaymondR is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2015, 00:07   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

Australia has fairly strict laws on gun ownership with fairly hefty penalties for unlicensed weapons, bit of a drag but the upside is the gun deaths are comparatively rare.
Yup. That, and the fact the it is the 3rd least densely poulated country in the world after Namibia and Mongolia. Their murder rates are low also, I'd suspect.

Hard to get a clean shot off at a human when there aren't any in sight.
Old 24-03-2015, 00:56   #117
smj

Quote:
Wow, this thread is becoming tiresome. If you care not for firearms, please avoid them and move on to a different thread. This is an intersting thread to me and some others, including the OP.

To calm your nerves a little, please know that I never "recon" Newport or Boothbay Harbor. Feel better now?

I don't have a problem with this thread, I just think it's humorous when a person who finds it necessary to carry a gun considers those who don't as being frightened.
smj is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2015, 02:39   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Things I carry on my boat:

EPIRB
Fire Extinguishers
Hand-held GPS and VHF
Life Preservers
Hefty Insurance Policy
Bail-Out Bag
Flares and Smokes
Firearm

I hope that I'll never need ANY of the above!

To all the gun haters who carry on about how evil a firearm is, the fact remains that a firearm is just a tool. In the vast majority of cases it is a defensive tool. Yes there are evil-doers out there who use that tool offensively... the same evil-doers will use just about anything to commit their nefarious acts in absence of a firearm.

This thread was started as an informational thread FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN CARRYING FIREARMS ABOARD THEIR VESSEL. It is not a forum to discuss your political beliefs regarding firearms.
Old 24-03-2015, 04:06   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
This thread was started as an informational thread FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN CARRYING FIREARMS ABOARD THEIR VESSEL. It is not a forum to discuss your political beliefs regarding firearms.
capngeo beat me to it, and remember the be nice rule, it's taken seriously
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2015, 04:23   #120

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

This thread was about 2015 bahamas gun check in. I made a comment about someone's use of Long range guns, and Port mcClyde started lashing out, lets not debate what happens in certain countries where firearms are illegal, or will cost you your boat an freedom, but Im glad you will be able to "get armed bandits off", and drove them far enough away that when they return waving weapons screaming a war chant 😃 in their skiff youll have time to make a good shot, oh and btw our "farm is a tree farm with no fences not a game farm., and I still hunt, that is track down animals moving maybe a foot every few minutes vs sitting on my cold wet arse.

The reception the OP got checking in guns in the bahamas, will likely not be the same in many other countries regardless of the type of weapon

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas