Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 20:41   #46

Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, at least you got that right...
I was being polite. I basically know who they are.

I need some heavy-duty davits, not those sissy thin-tubed tender hangers made for anti-gun day sailors with French plastic boats.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 21:26   #47

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Natraps-whether anyone carries weapons or not, or whether anyone agrees or disagrees with your decision to carry weapons is immaterial. As are anecdotes and scare stories. The only thing that matters is, since you are carrying weapons, that you know before entering the jurisdiction of any nation what that nation's laws say will happen if you present yourself for clearance and declare your weapons. In the countries I cited: (1) in Mexico, you may not bring weapons or ammunition into the country, period, and any attempt to do so can land you in jail. There are multiple cases where this has happened, it is a very expensive and time consuming process to resolve the issue; (2) in Panama, only citizens and legal residents can possess firearms and then only after a quite cumbersome process.

Do not assume that the worst that can happen is that your weapons will be either sealed or held while you are in a country, know their laws well before you go.
JayCall is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 21:48   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
The only thing that matters is, since you are carrying weapons, that you know before entering the jurisdiction of any nation what that nation's laws say will happen if you present yourself for clearance and declare your weapons.
"Ping Pong!" "Bravo!" Light dawns on Marble Head.

Be clever! Hide well! Never declare. Be a little smarter than the average bear. Life will then go just fine.

To the OP: I was bit surprised that you decided to have a visible gun safe on board. As well as declaring weapons. Not my style. Hope it works for you & yours.

Still looking forward to your future updates. Sail safe.
Old 21-03-2015, 21:53   #49

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

DON'T take a firearm if visiting Venezuela. I lived on Margarita Island for 2 years, and a close friend still there informed me about a year ago that a yacht visited, and customs found a handgun aboard. He was arrested for smuggling arms. Don't know the final outcome. I'd love to go back, but now is not the time.
jessehunt is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 22:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehunt View Post
DON'T take a firearm if visiting Venezuela. I lived on Margarita Island for 2 years, and a close friend still there informed me about a year ago that a yacht visited, and customs found a handgun aboard. He was arrested for smuggling arms. Don't know the final outcome. I'd love to go back, but now is not the time.
Lesson Number 1: Be clever and hide well. Don't know what happened with your friend, yet if a sailor cannot find a way to hide a handgun on a vessel, then there is something seriously wrong. That type of person should steer far clear of Venezuela, and other places, and should also forget about applying for a job in international espionage.

When teens, my friends and I had no problem hiding things in automobiles that cops could never find. And man, they sure did try! Which was good, because Acapulco Gold was hard to come by back in the '70s.

Sometimes, I wonder about the intellect of some folks who go cruising around in sailboats.
Old 21-03-2015, 22:22   #51
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

Sometimes, I wonder about the intellect of some folks who go cruising around in sailboats.
Yeah, me too...

If I were planning, like you, to circumnavigate aboard a Hinckley - which is a truly 'rare' and somewhat conspicuous choice among circumnavigators to begin with - I doubt I'd be broadcasting publicly my intentions to conceal my firearms in an effort to hide them from authorities and circumvent the laws of the various countries I'd be visiting, on one of the more widely read sailing forums on the internet...

But, that's probably just me...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 22:22   #52

Boat: 1985 Whitby Alberg 37 - "Lazy Gecko"

Capt Ron believed you should have guns on board. It's the land of voodoo, hoodoo and all sort of weird $hit lol
Lazy Geckos is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 22:22   #53

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

PortClyde-sometimes I wonder about the intellect of those who really do not think things through. If you are willing to risk the cost of secreting firearms away, and hoping they are not discovered, then more power to you. If discovered, you will find a "Go Directly to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200" card attached. However, US consular officials can vist you to make sure you are treated OK.

Just one scenario-if you feel the need to use the weapon for the purpose you have it, i.e. to repel a boarder or some similar event, how do you do you explain to the local police having one or more firearms when you cleared in and declared no firearms on board? At that point, you have a major problem.
JayCall is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 23:58   #54

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Anyone who suggest not declaring your firearms is obviously not responsible gun owners to begin with, or has never owned a gun legally to begin with. Owning firearm is a big responsibility, and it is the duty of anyone no matter where you live or plan on going to know the laws and stay on the right side of them.
This op is not for the people who will hide their guns or any of that non sense. It is for the people who will stay on the right side of the law, and be RESPONSIBLE with their firearms. Obviously there are countries that require more paperwork to be filled out, maybe even getting permits prior to ever arriving. But we plan on declaring everywhere we go. And if the customs tells us prior to arrival that we will be breaking the law if we bring them and we CANT get a permit sorted out before we arrive, then we will not be visiting those places. Period.

So many people live by the horror stories and not by the actual facts.

I guess repeating horror stories gives them something to pass the time......

Oh yeah we have a 85 pound German Shepherd with us too.

"OH MY GOODNESS! WHY WOULD YOU BRING YOUR DOG!!!! Too much hassle" Blah blah

Let the furious typing begin...

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 02:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Yeah, me too...

If I were planning, like you, to circumnavigate aboard a Hinckley - which is a truly 'rare' and somewhat conspicuous choice among circumnavigators to begin with - I doubt I'd be broadcasting publicly my intentions to conceal my firearms in an effort to hide them from authorities and circumvent the laws of the various countries I'd be visiting, on one of the more widely read sailing forums on the internet...

But, that's probably just me...
Paranoia supreme. I love it.

Now see, this is where you and I differ. I've already graduated to a 63' Little Harbor. Think about that for a minute.
Old 22-03-2015, 02:37   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Anyone who suggest not declaring your firearms is obviously not responsible gun owners to begin with, or has never owned a gun legally to begin with. Owning firearm is a big responsibility, and it is the duty of anyone no matter where you live or plan on going to know the laws and stay on the right side of them.
This op is not for the people who will hide their guns or any of that non sense. It is for the people who will stay on the right side of the law, and be RESPONSIBLE with their firearms. Obviously there are countries that require more paperwork to be filled out, maybe even getting permits prior to ever arriving. But we plan on declaring everywhere we go. And if the customs tells us prior to arrival that we will be breaking the law if we bring them and we CANT get a permit sorted out before we arrive, then we will not be visiting those places. Period.

So many people live by the horror stories and not by the actual facts.

I guess repeating horror stories gives them something to pass the time......

Oh yeah we have a 85 pound German Shepherd with us too.

"OH MY GOODNESS! WHY WOULD YOU BRING YOUR DOG!!!! Too much hassle" Blah blah

Let the furious typing begin...

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Still looking forward to your future updates. Fun to read. Please keep us posted.
Old 22-03-2015, 05:33   #57

Boat: Rosborough RF246 & 15' Boston Whaler

Glad to hear positive experiece as I'm heading over soon. Where in the Bahamas did you check in?
Boatlegs is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 05:58   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

OK folks..... this thread was started by the OP as informational about HIS cruise with firearms aboard. PLEASE limit the discussion to the topic, and AVOID your personal rhetoric about the value of a weapon aboard YOUR boat.
Old 22-03-2015, 06:12   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Anchored off Dominica, after dark, hear someone climbing on the boat. A young guy, maybe 12-14 climbed on board. Went out with my 1,000,000KW spot light, and he said "Mister, Oscar wants you to come to shore, the fishermen came in and they have fish.. You asked first, so you get first fish". Glad I wasn't a paranoid gun toting cowboy. Anchored of Margarita, in Venezuela, a cruiser hears someone on the deck, comes out with a shotgun, cocks it, and gets blown away by an automatic weapon. A friend anchored on the north coast of the DR, stopped without clearance to be there. Had some sort of military gun. La Guardia Costa came on board, demanded any weapons, and proceeded to wave it around, shot off a bunch of ammo, demanded "a gift", and left. When they arrived in the BVI, they had a hard time convincing Customs where the ammo went. They had a count from the DR, and it was different on arrival in Tortola. A cruiser had a stainless steel shotgun in Luperon, had to surrender it. When getting ready to leave, the Navy carried it down to the wharf, and gave it back when he got in his dinghy. He felt like the Pied Piper with everyone following him to the dock. Was very concerned all night that someone might come aboard to try to get the gun. He did deep six it down Island, wasn't worth the hassel. It is frightening all the yahoos that are going cruising with guns to "Defend themselves". Probably took all those ASA courses to learn how to cruise, but never once took a lesson on weapon use for self defense. Actually, no offense, but how many talk big about their guns and don't get past "Chicken Harbor"?
I for one have had extensive firearms training. I wont go into it but lets just say I can hit a man sized target at 1000 yds. A beer can at 50 with a pistol. So dont give us all this stuff. If you are afraid of protecting yourself, dont, but dont run us down. I feel compassion for the Canadian. Too bad you live in a society afraid of their own shadows.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 06:22   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
ante omnia armari
Motto of the Campbell's, I believe.
Tantalus is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas