Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 06:23   #61

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Anyone who suggest not declaring your firearms is obviously not responsible gun owners to begin with, or has never owned a gun legally to begin with. Owning firearm is a big responsibility, and it is the duty of anyone no matter where you live or plan on going to know the laws and stay on the right side of them.
This op is not for the people who will hide their guns or any of that non sense. It is for the people who will stay on the right side of the law, and be RESPONSIBLE with their firearms. Obviously there are countries that require more paperwork to be filled out, maybe even getting permits prior to ever arriving. But we plan on declaring everywhere we go. And if the customs tells us prior to arrival that we will be breaking the law if we bring them and we CANT get a permit sorted out before we arrive, then we will not be visiting those places. Period.

So many people live by the horror stories and not by the actual facts.

I guess repeating horror stories gives them something to pass the time......

Oh yeah we have a 85 pound German Shepherd with us too.

"OH MY GOODNESS! WHY WOULD YOU BRING YOUR DOG!!!! Too much hassle" Blah blah

Let the furious typing begin...

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Like others, I'd be interested to hear how this goes for you as you venture beyond the Bahamas. The problem I have read about (but not directly experienced) is that getting authorization ahead of time may not necessarily result in authorization by the officials you encounter at a port of entry. If it's a matter of impoundment or losing the gun permanently, then it would be unfortunate but not a huge deal -- thank goodness for inexpensive Mossy shotguns, right? But if it's jail time and/or boat impoundment, then clearly not worth it.

As for not declaring, I agree with PortClydeMe that there are plenty of great hiding places, but it seems to me that all it takes is a dog trained to sniff out the gun or its ammo out & you're screwed (that's what I've read they do in Australia anyway). I'm actually with you guys in preferring to have something onboard, esp. these days. But given the hassle-factor, I may also conclude -- like many others have -- that the risks outweigh the potential benefits. Heck, some countries strictly prohibit common flare guns! And it's not just in countries beyond the Bahamas, you'd also better know what you're doing in NY & NJ waters!
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 06:30   #62

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatlegs View Post
Glad to hear positive experiece as I'm heading over soon. Where in the Bahamas did you check in?
We checked in at the Big Game mMarina in Alice town bimini. There is a customs office there

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 06:41   #63
Eternal Member

Quote:
Anyone who suggest not declaring your firearms is obviously not responsible gun owners to begin with, or has never owned a gun legally to begin with. Owning firearm is a big responsibility, and it is the duty of anyone no matter where you live or plan on going to know the laws and stay on the right side of them.

This op is not for the people who will hide their guns or any of that non sense. It is for the people who will stay on the right side of the law, and be RESPONSIBLE with their firearms. Obviously there are countries that require more paperwork to be filled out, maybe even getting permits prior to ever arriving. But we plan on declaring everywhere we go. And if the customs tells us prior to arrival that we will be breaking the law if we bring them and we CANT get a permit sorted out before we arrive, then we will not be visiting those places. Period.

Frankly, I'm not seeing these "horror stories" of which you speak... A few posters have simply mentioned anecdotes that relate to the difficulties of cruising with firearms aboard is all, are you suggesting they are not 'factual"?

Good for you, on your attitude towards responsible gun ownership, and your willingness to share your experience... But thus far, you have checked into but one country, which just so happens to be one of the more 'firearms friendly' cruising destinations on the planet... Things won't always go so smoothly further on down the line, though you are obviously aware of that...

Based upon an experience I had about a decade ago running a yacht with firearms aboard and making a fuel stop in Puerto Plata, I'd suggest you consider giving the Dominican Republic a miss, for starters... You'll eventually get your guns back from the Port Captain, but it will be a VERY tedious procedure, and likely cost you a considerable extra 'Fee', one for which there will be no receipt provided :-) Also, be advised he had a taste for expensive Scotch, so if you have any aboard, you may wish to drink up prior to arrival, otherwise you may have to hand it over to help expedite the return of your weapons... Although he spoke a heavily-accented English, it was striking how much like the King's English, and how smoothly the phrase "in consideration for my services" rolled off his tongue... :-)

Traveling with a semi-automatic weapon, at some point you will likely have some hard choices to make... New Zealand and Australia are two of the first that come to mind, unless things change by the time you make it there... New Zealand is one of my favorite countries on earth, it's hard to imagine doing a circumnavigation where the possibility of stopping there might have to be ruled out due to the type of one of the three firearms I wanted to have aboard... But again, perhaps that's just me :-)

Good luck to you, however you choose to go... But steer clear of Puerto Plata, would be my first bit of advice, based on my own little "horror story" from years ago... :-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 06:50   #64

Quote:

As an American whose ancestors came here in 1640 I have to take some issue with this.

As far as Im concerned its no one's business what I own or possess. Im looking out for myself, and if that means concealing a weapon for my own self defense, then thats what Ill do and consider it responsible gun ownership. Our own gub'mint has already taken away too many of our rights. I remember the firts pistol I bought, a Colt Python, I went to the hardware store, gave the clerk my money, he gave me the pistol, a sales receipt,and that was that. Now......???
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 06:55   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
As an American whose ancestors came here in 1640 I have to take some issue with this.

As far as Im concerned its no one's business what I own or possess. Im looking out for myself, and if that means concealing a weapon for my own self defense, then thats what Ill do and consider it responsible gun ownership. Our own gub'mint has already taken away too many of our rights. I remember the firts pistol I bought, a Colt Python, I went to the hardware store, gave the clerk my money, he gave me the pistol, a sales receipt,and that was that. Now......???
Problem is dude, we're not going to be dealing with "our" government. We will be guest in "their" country.

So their house their rules. Smuggling is not something I want to add to my rap sheet in a banana republic.

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 22-03-2015, 08:18   #66

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:

Oh yeah we have a 85 pound German Shepherd with us too.

"OH MY GOODNESS! WHY WOULD YOU BRING YOUR DOG!!!! Too much hassle" Blah blah

German Shepard!! My favorite dog. Now that's the best security there is. Most bad guys would rather fight 4 of me, rather than one German Shepard. No one will board you with a shepard on board. Plus, he'll hear them coming.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 08:45   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I for one have had extensive firearms training. I wont go into it but lets just say I can hit a man sized target at 1000 yds. A beer can at 50 with a pistol. So dont give us all this stuff. If you are afraid of protecting yourself, dont, but dont run us down. I feel compassion for the Canadian. Too bad you live in a society afraid of their own shadows.
I know I'm not supposed to do this, but this message by someone who goes by the name of "sniper" just made me laugh. Anyone who is so afraid of the big bad world that they need to carry an arsenal of high-powered weaponry is clearly someone who is living in fear.

The world is not running amok with pirates, terrorists, and people who want to kill you. There are definitely some places in the world where these people dominate, but the solution is easy: Don't Go There! These days anyone who doesn't know where the bad places are in the world is someone who is being intentionally ignorant.

This does not mean bad things don't happen to good people. Yes, crime happens everywhere, and some places are worse than others. Again, the solution is simple: Don't Go There. If you're so scared of your own shadow that you demand 100% safety 100% of the time the best thing to do is stay inside your walled compound with guns at the ready then. This will be better for you, and for the rest of us .

To the OP, I apologize for contributing to this drift. I'll try not to add further. I applaud your approach, and your efforts. I don't agree with the need to carry such weapons, but we all approach the world differently. I'm even curious to read about what you encounter, although I will probably have to ignore this thread now. Good luck . Hope to see you out there some year.
Old 22-03-2015, 09:17   #68
Eternal Member

Quote:
I feel compassion for the Canadian. Too bad you live in a society afraid of their own shadows.
And yet, Canadians cruising the Bahamas so far outnumber Americans per capita/relative to their respective country's population, it isn't even close... And somehow, despite their supposed meekness, and living in a constant and debilitating state of "FEAR", most of them still dare to venture across the Stream into that lawless netherworld of criminality and piracy unarmed, or without considering strapping Claymores to their masts...

YCMTSU...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 09:31   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
German Shepard!! My favorite dog. Now that's the best security there is. Most bad guys would rather fight 4 of me, rather than one German Shepard. No one will board you with a shepard on board. Plus, he'll hear them coming.
She sleeps on deck too every night over us in our v berth.

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 22-03-2015, 09:42   #70
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

ditto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balrog.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	99160  
monte is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 10:41   #71

Send a message via Skype™ to wsfenix2002

Future Cruiser 2016, with my wife, ongoing project, guns are part of my sense of security, my mind can be understood in these words.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington, 1790

wsfenix2002 is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 10:56   #72

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfenix2002 View Post
Future Cruiser 2016, with my wife, ongoing project, guns are part of my sense of security, my mind can be understood in these words.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington, 1790

These threads tent to go off the rails so often because we Americans tend to think the ideals we hold dear translate across the world. In some cases they actually don't; this topic case in point. That is why the OP's accounting of his experiences will be so valuable to the community.

By the way, it is embarrassing to me that you don't even know enough of our own country's history to get GW's quote correct both in content and meaning. The actual text is widely available on account that it is from his first (the first) state of the union:

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
Garrettw is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 14:53   #73

Boat: Rosborough RF246 & 15' Boston Whaler

I think everyone needs to chill and it's a personal opinion if you want to cruise armed or not. I don't hear stories of armed cruisers killing anyone, it's purely protection if needed. Cruisers don't wave their arms, they just have them and hope to never need them. Everyone with a flare gun has a weapon already. All hope to never need protection from rescue need to criminal need. Not sure why folks are so opinionated on this topic. Cruise on peacefully armed or not. Thanks for the original string letting us know current clear in is relatively smooth.
Boatlegs is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 15:10   #74

Quote:
Same here.

Quote:
As far as Im concerned its no one's business what I own or possess. Im looking out for myself, and if that means concealing a weapon for my own self defense, then thats what Ill do and consider it responsible gun ownership.
Bingo!

Quote:
I remember the firts pistol I bought, a Colt Python, I went to the hardware store, gave the clerk my money, he gave me the pistol, a sales receipt,and that was that. Now......???
Exactly the same. Except, when I bought my first gun you had to show a Maine ID. They didn't copy any info from the ID, just wanted to see that you had one. In fact, the store owner already knew me, so I wasn't even asked for ID. Cash. Pistol & Bullets. Thanks a lot. You're welcome. (Door click sound).
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 15:17   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I know I'm not supposed to do this, but this message by someone who goes by the name of "sniper" just made me laugh. Anyone who is so afraid of the big bad world that they need to carry an arsenal of high-powered weaponry is clearly someone who is living in fear.

The world is not running amok with pirates, terrorists, and people who want to kill you. There are definitely some places in the world where these people dominate, but the solution is easy: Don't Go There! These days anyone who doesn't know where the bad places are in the world is someone who is being intentionally ignorant.

This does not mean bad things don't happen to good people. Yes, crime happens everywhere, and some places are worse than others. Again, the solution is simple: Don't Go There. If you're so scared of your own shadow that you demand 100% safety 100% of the time the best thing to do is stay inside your walled compound with guns at the ready then. This will be better for you, and for the rest of us .

To the OP, I apologize for contributing to this drift. I'll try not to add further. I applaud your approach, and your efforts. I don't agree with the need to carry such weapons, but we all approach the world differently. I'm even curious to read about what you encounter, although I will probably have to ignore this thread now. Good luck . Hope to see you out there some year.
NO, Mike, some of us just like to shoot and have been trained to do so. Its not fear, its caution/precaution, because there are those out there who have less than pure motive.

If your afraid of firearms, then by all means, avoid them. But dont be so arrogant as to condemn those who do not share your fear.

As to the person above who asked why people are so opinionated on this:
Because there are those out there who do not want to accept personal responsibility, and prefer to blame objects rather than people. They believe"Guns kill people." If you believe that than I suppose you would believe that "Pencils mis spell words." They dont.

I guess I should stop as this is a "Hot" topic. Its a shame that a few ruin a topic for all.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas