Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2015, 19:31   #256
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: FL
Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht
Posts: 86
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

I just got back from a 16 day trip to the Abacos. We anchored over night
off Great Sale and then cleared the next afternoon in Green Turtle.

By virtue of my occupation I normally have a gun with me but chose not to bring it with me for this trip. When I cleared in there was another boater there as well that happened to have a gun with him on his boat. The officer asked where ti was stored and that was it. We both got extended cruising permits.
__________________

__________________
k9medic is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 19:33   #257
Registered User
 
Carahbean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I just got back from a 16 day trip to the Abacos. We anchored over night

off Great Sale and then cleared the next afternoon in Green Turtle.



By virtue of my occupation I normally have a gun with me but chose not to bring it with me for this trip. When I cleared in there was another boater there as well that happened to have a gun with him on his boat. The officer asked where ti was stored and that was it. We both got extended cruising permits.

I'm with you K9. 18 years on the job tends to make you feel naked without one...


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 19:54   #258
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post
The difference being, sailing your yacht or walking alone in south central are not ILLEGAL. Hence a very different risk...


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I was referring to risk level, not type. IMHO, global lawlessness has reached a new level over the past 20 years, so I am willing to respond accordingly risk-wise.

When in Rome (the high seas), do as the Romans do.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 20:23   #259
Registered User
 
Carahbean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I was referring to risk level, not type. IMHO, global lawlessness has reached a new level over the past 20 years, so I am willing to respond accordingly risk-wise.

When in Rome (the high seas), do as the Romans do.

Believe me I like my guns and would prefer to have them. But referring back to the OP, legality in many locations is a problem. So a choice has to be made; avoid many spectacular locations so I can carry or risk legal problems in the third world. I'm not as cavalier in my reasoning on the subject.

Perhaps we'll see you in an episode of "Locked up Abroad." Maybe they'll let you post bail......


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 20:54   #260
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I was referring to risk level, not type. IMHO, global lawlessness has reached a new level over the past 20 years, so I am willing to respond accordingly risk-wise.

When in Rome (the high seas), do as the Romans do.
So then, since the last time I asked, have you been able to find any examples of cruising sailors being attacked on "The High Seas"?

Namely, outside of those regions you've already decided to avoid based upon their "history of kidnapping, murder, and general lawlessness." ?
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 22:12   #261
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
So then, since the last time I asked, have you been able to find any examples of cruising sailors being attacked on "The High Seas"?

Namely, outside of those regions you've already decided to avoid based upon their "history of kidnapping, murder, and general lawlessness." ?
Since our last time, let's clarify, shall we? Are you curious of my investigative skills, or are you merely still pondering about whether or not Hinckley yacht owners enjoy davits?

To help you a little, does May 2015 count?

Bahamas, New Providence: Liveaboard British Man shot dead on board by armed robbers - May 2015 —
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5264966_20150727073706532_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	107255  
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 22:21   #262
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post
Perhaps we'll see you in an episode of "Locked up Abroad." Maybe they'll let you post bail......
That was uncalled for, yet let it be known, it is maybe best for some sailors to just stay close to shore and never venture outside the safety of home.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 22:41   #263
Registered User
 
Carahbean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That was uncalled for, yet let it be known, it is maybe best for some sailors to just stay close to shore and never venture outside the safety of home.

Uncalled for? You openly admit you're above the law and will do as you please. A risk you previously made known you're willing to take.

What's uncalled for is your flippant and condescending responses to people who actually have interest in the OP, such as "stay close to home." As if people are beneath you for wanting to research the law or abide by the rules and laws of other nations. Something I'm sure you demand from visitors to the good ole USA....


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 22:49   #264
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post
Uncalled for?
Yes, uncalled for. I don't remember wishing YOU any jail time in a foreign country. In fact, you're not even on my radar. I'm merely giving an opinion about firearms on sailboats in the open ocean.

Quote:
What's uncalled for is your flippant and condescending responses to people ...
There you go again. Past bedtime?

Quote:
Something I'm sure you demand from visitors to the good ole USA....
I demand nothing from anyone. Haven't lived in the States for many, many years. My demands are private, but thanks.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 23:09   #265
Registered User
 
Carahbean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yes, uncalled for. I don't remember wishing YOU any jail time in a foreign country. In fact, you're not even on my radar. I'm merely giving an opinion about firearms on sailboats in the open ocean.
Re read the post. Nobody wished anything upon you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
There you go again. Past bedtime?
Cute


Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I demand nothing from anyone. Haven't lived in the States for many, many years. My demands are private, but thanks.
Yet you're so quick to reply with condescending posts towards others who are actually interested in the OP. Advising that you no longer live in the U.S. Isn't a clever way to ignore my point. You complain of lawlessness on "The high seas" but freely admit you're uninterested in following laws. Some people are that's all. You don't have a monopoly on gun ownership, safety or the proper carry thereof.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 13-08-2015, 23:48   #266
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post
Re read the post. Nobody wished anything upon you.
Carahbean: "Perhaps we'll see you in an episode of "Locked up Abroad." Maybe they'll let you post bail......"

It appears that our interpretation of the English language differs.

Quote:
You don't have a monopoly on gun ownership, safety or the proper carry thereof.
On my vessel, I have a complete monopoly.

Anyway, no need to keep this pissing match going. This is a "HOT TOPIC" thread, and thus, heavily moderated. Do whatever you wish with firearms on boats, and I'll do likewise.

Happy sailing.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 14-08-2015, 00:02   #267
Registered User
 
Carahbean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

It appears that our interpretation of the English language differs.
The word "perhaps" is not the same as "I wish". Clearly someone is lacking in their interpretation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
On my vessel, I have a complete monopoly.
And WE on ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Anyway, no need to keep this pissing match going. This is a "HOT TOPIC" thread, and thus, heavily moderated. Do whatever you wish with firearms on boats, and I'll do likewise.

Happy sailing.

Fair winds and following seas....



Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Carahbean is offline   Reply
Old 14-08-2015, 00:26   #268
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carahbean View Post



Fair winds and following seas....


The same to you and yours!
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 14-08-2015, 09:30   #269
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg
So then, since the last time I asked, have you been able to find any examples of cruising sailors being attacked on "The High Seas"?

Namely, outside of those regions you've already decided to avoid based upon their "history of kidnapping, murder, and general lawlessness." ?
To help you a little, does May 2015 count?

Bahamas, New Providence: Liveaboard British Man shot dead on board by armed robbers - May 2015 —
Not even close...

The murder of that unfortunate gentleman who chose to live aboard a boat that sat in a dive center for years on New Providence hardly qualifies as an attack of a cruising sailor "on the high seas"... And the fact that over $7,000 of gold jewelry was stolen during this robbery, might be an indication that it was a crime planned in advance, as opposed to the more typical random robbery of opportunity that cruisers are often victims of...

Furthermore, one would think given your stated assessment of risk, you would avoid Nassau, as many cruising the Bahamas choose to do... I seem to recall you crossing Mexico off your list of possible destinations, based largely upon the US State Department warnings issued regarding travel to Mexico. I can only presume you would therefore steer clear of Nassau as well, no?

US citizens warned over Nassau crime | The Tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Since our last time, let's clarify, shall we? Are you curious of my investigative skills, or are you merely still pondering about whether or not Hinckley yacht owners enjoy davits?




How ironic, that the 49 you've chose to illustrate your point is widely regarded as being the least attractive boat The Hinckley Company ever built, by a considerable margin ;-)

Yes, "let's clarify"... My original post on the matter was quite specific regarding the particular model of Hinckley one rarely - if ever - sees fitted with davits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe
I envision davits (heavy duty ones!)...
I'd say if there might be one thing guaranteed to make old Henry turn over in his grave, it might be bolting on a set of davits, or a stern arch, onto the stern of a beauty as perfect as a SW 42...

I've never seen one so equipped, and I hope I never do... :-)


Not to mention, those flimsy things bolted onto the transom of that 49 are far from being the "heavy duty ones... (you) envision..." Those are one of the more pathetic excuses for davits I've seen in quite some time, fortunately someone appears to have figured out where the tender goes on that boat when it might actually be moving...





Be sure to let us know if you ever find a pic of a Bermuda 40, or a Sou'Wester 42, sporting a set of "heavy-duty" davits, OK?

That way, we can take a poll, and get a consensus on whether the look of the boat has been totally ruined, or not...

;-)
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 14-08-2015, 17:25   #270
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
...The murder of that unfortunate gentleman who chose to live aboard a boat that sat in a dive center for years on New Providence ... qualifies as an attack of a cruising sailor "on the high seas"...
I agree. Anywhere my boat sails outside the US 12-mile limit I consider "the high seas".


Quote:
How ironic, that the 49 you've chose to illustrate your point is widely regarded as being the least attractive boat The Hinckley Company ever built, by a considerable margin
Jon, Jon, Jon. I grabbed a photo at random. Although I’ve personally moved on from the Hinckley path, I’d take AZUCAR in a heartbeat. Beauty, my dear friend, is surely in the eye of the beholder. As for davits, I’m a big fan. For example, may I present Carmella? Beautiful yacht? Check! Davits? Check! Yacht deemed attractive by females? Check!

John Mellencamp likes little pink houses. I don’t. Thus, to each his/her own.

As for my personal “no-sail” zones, that’s for me to decide. That aside, I categorize areas into 3 zones: 1) Let’s go!, 2) No thanks!, and 3) FFWF (i.e., Fight Fire With Fire).

Official US State Department travel warnings can be found here:
Alerts and Warnings

Open ocean? For me, 2011 is close enough for heavy concern (all 4 US hostages killed): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SY_Quest_incident

Noonsite yearly piracy reports: Piracy —
(NOTE: I highly doubt all piracy is reported.)

A very quick and incomplete search of 2015 armed piracy reports:

Venezulea, Manamo/Orinoco: Assault & Robbery - May 2015 —

Armed? Check; US State Dept. warning? Check!; My “no-sail” zone? Check!

Haiti, Grand Goave, Petit Paradis: Night time robbery and violent attack – May 2015 —

Armed? Check; US State Dept. warning? Check!; My “no-sail” zone? Check!

Bahamas, New Providence: Liveaboard British Man shot dead on board by armed robbers - May 2015 —

Armed? Check; US State Dept. warning? Nope; My “no-sail” zone? FFWF!

Haiti, Petit Port a Piment: Violent Attack on Cruising Couple - First person report —

Armed? Check; US State Dept. warning? Check!; My “no-sail” zone? Check!

Haiti, Petit Port a Piment: Armed Robbery at Night - April 2015 —

Armed? Check; US State Dept. warning? Check!; My “no-sail” zone? Check!

Dominica, Portsmouth, Prince Rupert Bay South: Armed Boarding and Theft - March 2015 —

Armed? Check; US State Dept. warning? Nope; My “no-sail” zone? FFWF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4064412_20120913121131_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	107294   Click image for larger version

Name:	4064412_20120913121248_5_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	107295  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4064412_20120913121252_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	107296  
__________________

__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Bahamas gun check-in update "boarded" natraps116 Challenges 36 11-04-2015 07:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.