Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 19:00   #196

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
So if a gun is hidden away behind a screwed down lid or hard to find location how effective is it?
I love those doomsday prepper shows, bunch of people who think they have a bunch of weapons and practice yelling commands they could survive an assault. When they do practice scenarios against trained military they got their asses handed to em.
You will amplify a situation by pulling a gun, be ready for it...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We are awaiting further updates on the experiences of the OPs regarding checking in with firearms. I can assure you we have heard, ad nauseum, all the pitfalls involving what may happen if a person is accosted and chooses to bring out their firearm. It is unlikely you can present a different scenario from the hundreds already presented. I am sure you weren't comparing those who choose to bring their weapons on board to the "doomsday preppers", right?
Old 03-04-2015, 21:41   #197
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

It's a bit heated in here

Hopefully you'll find this as amusing as I did. There's lots of swearing, you're warned.

tp12 is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 04:10   #198

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
I am sure you weren't comparing those who choose to bring their weapons on board to the "doomsday preppers", right?
Not in so much as they are preppers, I guess in a doomsday scenario you'd have mutants, robbers, mad max etc to shoot at from a nice distance lol . Many people (not excluding myself here) get a false sense of security from a firearm. Without countless hours of training, including situational awareness training, a firearm is more likely to worsen things, negotiating, being calm, and friendly is more often a better easier to train for option. We were approached once by a boat with about 6 Bahamians onboard , I'm guessing 15-25, 2 years ago. We greeted them with waves and a beer and they gave us free conch,
Sometimes waving a hand and brandishing a smile is better.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 06:53   #199
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

So late one night at anchor, you stop the person in the act of burglary on your boat. No shots are fired. Now what do you do. Make the pirate walk the plank? In the PacNW the conditions suggest the boarder is not likely to survive a swim to the beach. Call the Coast Guard? Tie the person up and head for port?
Just wondering.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
JSSailem is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 07:17   #200

Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
Natraps-whether anyone carries weapons or not, or whether anyone agrees or disagrees with your decision to carry weapons is immaterial. As are anecdotes and scare stories. The only thing that matters is, since you are carrying weapons, that you know before entering the jurisdiction of any nation what that nation's laws say will happen if you present yourself for clearance and declare your weapons. In the countries I cited: (1) in Mexico, you may not bring weapons or ammunition into the country, period, and any attempt to do so can land you in jail. There are multiple cases where this has happened, it is a very expensive and time consuming process to resolve the issue; (2) in Panama, only citizens and legal residents can possess firearms and then only after a quite cumbersome process.

Do not assume that the worst that can happen is that your weapons will be either sealed or held while you are in a country, know their laws well before you go.
In Jamaica they have 'gun prisons' in 1971 my former boat Easy Rider stopped there and was searched and the so -called captain was imprisoned for having a flare pistol and a 12Ga shark killer. After 2 months in gun jail he went to trial before a 400 lb lady judge who fined him $1800 and forbid any future entry in Jaimaica
So good luck when you are there with your 3 cannons.
geoleo is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 07:59   #201

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

In May of 2012 I crewed on a delivery of a 42' benny from Singapore to Cairns. On arrival in Cairns the Captain and I immediately had to get off the boat and stand beside it on the dock while it was searched. We stood there for three and on half hours while six different agents plus two different dogs were involved in the search. We simply stood there and sweated and gazed at the restaurant and dreamed of hamburgers french fries and cold beer.

In the end we were shown two cloves of garlic that they found under the floor boards. The boat had been torn apart.

I do not believe for a second that weapons would have gone undetected.

Doug
bytownboy is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 19:51   #202

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytownboy View Post
In May of 2012 I crewed on a delivery of a 42' benny from Singapore to Cairns. On arrival in Cairns the Captain and I immediately had to get off the boat and stand beside it on the dock while it was searched. We stood there for three and on half hours while six different agents plus two different dogs were involved in the search. We simply stood there and sweated and gazed at the restaurant and dreamed of hamburgers french fries and cold beer.

In the end we were shown two cloves of garlic that they found under the floor boards. The boat had been torn apart.

I do not believe for a second that weapons would have gone undetected.

Doug
Nah. My hidy hole would not be detected.
downunder is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2015, 19:29   #203

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I have never been in that situation and in my state (CA) and county, getting a ccw permit is not a real possibility. I am a life member of the NRA, and always enjoy the "armed citizen" column in their monthly magazine that gives a synopsis of published reports of guns being used for self-defense. And in many of those cases, it seems clear that without that self-defense opportunity, the citizen would likely have been seriously injured or killed.

My question is whether in your particular experience as the victim of an armed robbery, if you had been armed, would you have had the opportunity to safely and effectively use your weapon? If the assailant already has his gun out, it doesn't seem like you could safely pull yours and tell him to drop his. Huge probability that shots would be fired from both guns, with the consequent risk that you or another innocent person would be hit.
Good question. In my personal experience, the intruder opened the passenger door of my van, late at night, at an isolated gas station, climbed in the passenger seat and proceeded to rob us by threatening us with a knife. My friend was in the driver's seat and I was in the back of the van sleeping. If I would have had a gun, I'm sure he would have quickly exited the van, knowing that you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Turned out he robbed us of some stuff and a little money. We didn't have much at the time, it was the end of a surfing trip.

I have carried a concealed weapon since then, roughly 40 years. However, I don't carry for myself, I carry for my young daughter and wife. I would do whatever it took to defend them.

For example, when transiting south, anchored in Cocoa Beach, Florida, overnight, headed to the mall by bus with my wife and daughter, in my baggies, I'm packing a Seecamp 380 ( L.W. Seecamp Co. - Pistol Specs & MSRP) in my front pocket. I do it for the men walking around with pin point pupils, needle marks and who knows what else. Don't mean to pick on Cocoa Beach, they're everywhere. If you don't believe me, look at the staff in the kitchen of any late night restaurant.

As for myself, traveling the 3rd world by myself, - Guatemala, Panama, - take my wallet, car, shoes, shirt, etc. they are not worth a life. Even a criminals life. It's just stuff.

Just don't make me feel threatened when my girls are around, on our boat or otherwise. They can have my stuff, but not my women.

Fortunately I haven't had a second armed robbery. Knock on wood.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 08-04-2015, 09:59   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Good question. In my personal experience, the intruder opened the passenger door of my van, late at night, at an isolated gas station, climbed in the passenger seat and proceeded to rob us by threatening us with a knife. My friend was in the driver's seat and I was in the back of the van sleeping. If I would have had a gun, I'm sure he would have quickly exited the van, knowing that you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Turned out he robbed us of some stuff and a little money. We didn't have much at the time, it was the end of a surfing trip.

I have carried a concealed weapon since then, roughly 40 years. However, I don't carry for myself, I carry for my young daughter and wife. I would do whatever it took to defend them.

For example, when transiting south, anchored in Cocoa Beach, Florida, overnight, headed to the mall by bus with my wife and daughter, in my baggies, I'm packing a Seecamp 380 ( L.W. Seecamp Co. - Pistol Specs & MSRP) in my front pocket. I do it for the men walking around with pin point pupils, needle marks and who knows what else. Don't mean to pick on Cocoa Beach, they're everywhere. If you don't believe me, look at the staff in the kitchen of any late night restaurant.

As for myself, traveling the 3rd world by myself, - Guatemala, Panama, - take my wallet, car, shoes, shirt, etc. they are not worth a life. Even a criminals life. It's just stuff.

Just don't make me feel threatened when my girls are around, on our boat or otherwise. They can have my stuff, but not my women.

Fortunately I haven't had a second armed robbery. Knock on wood.
Well, you have a plan. It's amazing how many people whose plan for a lot of situations, is too just hope really hard they never happen (and, it's not just crime they prepare for that way).
Old 08-04-2015, 15:31   #205

Well stated post, Group9. And I agree, no amount of stuff is worth a life. But dont threaten me or mine.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 24-04-2015, 13:25   #206

Boat: Beneteau 50

How do I read all the posts by natraps116, without having to read the entire thread? I really want to skip over all the BS and be informed about his experiences checking in to each country.

When we go -- and we do plan to go -- I'm planning to avoid, if possible, the places where the gun laws are too strict. We probably won't have anything more than a flare gun and some spear guns, but I like it when the criminals are hesitant.

How do I read just the posts by natraps116?

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply
Old 24-04-2015, 13:56   #207

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
How do I read all the posts by natraps116, without having to read the entire thread? I really want to skip over all the BS and be informed about his experiences checking in to each country.

When we go -- and we do plan to go -- I'm planning to avoid, if possible, the places where the gun laws are too strict. We probably won't have anything more than a flare gun and some spear guns, but I like it when the criminals are hesitant.

How do I read just the posts by natraps116?

Regards,
Brad

Not sure how you can do that but I would caution you about the flare guns and spear guns. Many places do not allow possession of such devices - flare guns can be adapted to allow the use of firearm cartridges. Spear guns are banned in many places - they only allow the Hawaiian Sling type speared weapon.
Old 24-04-2015, 14:05   #208

@bene505

Quote:
How do I read all the posts by natraps116
... click on natraps116 'name' (e.g. on his first post in this thread) and choose find all posts from ....

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply
Old 24-04-2015, 15:12   #209

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Not sure how you can do that but I would caution you about the flare guns and spear guns. Many places do not allow possession of such devices - flare guns can be adapted to allow the use of firearm cartridges. Spear guns are banned in many places - they only allow the Hawaiian Sling type speared weapon.
Bahamas allows hawaiian sling and pole spears. Spear guns are confiscated if found, or so I've heard.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply
Old 26-04-2015, 13:51   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
I for one have had extensive firearms training. I wont go into it but lets just say I can hit a man sized target at 1000 yds. A beer can at 50 with a pistol. So dont give us all this stuff. If you are afraid of protecting yourself, dont, but dont run us down. I feel compassion for the Canadian. Too bad you live in a society afraid of their own shadows.

I wont go into it but at a 1000 yards you would not be able to hit a building sized target on a sail boat let alone a pirate. A rifle wont help you much unless you are on a relatively stable platform like a monster cargo ship. Combating intruders would be at close quarters unless you had a long range automatic with tracer rounds fixed to the deck. Have you ever tried standing up or laying down on a moving platform with no hands to steady yourself whilst looking through a telescopic lens? You would lose your target the same moment you acquired it.

Not sure Canadians are afraid of anything. They simply don't have a second amendment like most other sensible nations in the world.
paulanthony is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas