Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-02-2013, 16:23   #1

XM Weather

Who uses it? How accurate? Worth $50 a month and equipment cost? I would love to hear what folks think.

Old 01-02-2013, 17:28   #2

Re: XM Weather

I use it and plan to keep using it. My receiver and MFD are furuno, but I think all brands are likely the same. Keep in mind that it is US only, with some bleed over beyond that. But if you are venturing further than that it won't give you anything.

I use it mostly for the finer granularity wind predictions that it gives. Last summer we traveled the outer St Lawrence around the Gaspe peninsula and it gets pretty windy up there. The Canadian Weather Service predictions covered very large zones and reported the worst expected in that zone. But depending on wind direction, selective areas could be much different. I could see whether the shore I was following was going to be OK or nasty, see how much I needed to hug the shore, and see how far I could go before becoming exposed again. The predictions were quite accurate.

BUT.... it tells you current conditions, not predictions out more than the current model. Or at least that's all I could figure out how to get out of it, but that may just be confusion between me and my MFD, of which there is much. I actually think it's supposed to provide forecasts. Anyone know how to make that work on an MFD12?

Oh, and you can suspend the service for up to 6 months a year. I don't know if that's cumulative, all in one batch, or what, but I suspend if over the winter while the boat is hauled and reactivate when I hit the water in the spring.

Old 01-02-2013, 18:31   #3

Thanks for the reply. The demo unit I played with looked quite impressive. With the marine mariner subscription it seems that you can see current conditions as well as the next 12/24 hours. I just wonder if the current conditions were accurate. Without accuracy, pretty much worthless. The value in knowing wind direction, speed, wave heights, etc. within 10 miles or 100 miles along your route can make a huge difference.
Old 01-02-2013, 18:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

I've seen and used it in the Bahamas (on someone else's boat). It's very nice but $50 a month is more than I'd pay. So I don't have it. If your budget allows for it, it's great.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:57   #5

Boat: 2006 Hanse 370e

I have used it for about 4 seasons on lake Michigan, generally June-Sept at cost of about $30/mo. No charge for balance of year. You can suspend service for about 4-5 mos then call again to suspend further. It's a great resource and I would not be without it.
Old 01-02-2013, 19:27   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

MalibuC,
While XM weather might not be the best choice, and/or might not be cost effective, this has been discussed before and you may wish to read these recent threads....

XM weather or what else

SSCA Forum • View topic - Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

SSCA Forum • View topic - Weather forecasting outside the XM/Sirius footprint

SSCA Forum • View topic - sirius weather - mexico
SSCA Forum • View topic - Sirius or XM radio in Mexico Panama, Carribean?

SSCA Forum • View topic - Satellite Radio (as in Stereo)

I hope this helps....

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 01-02-2013, 20:37   #7

Lots to review here, thanks for the feedback and links. As is usually the case, mixed reviews on technology. For the kind of cruising I am planning over the next couple of years, I will appreciate the added security that satellite weather info. Knowing that I can suspend service when sitting for the winter is a huge bonus when considering the cost.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57   #8

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We have used Sirius Weather via our Raymarine E-120 CHartplotter for over 3 years.

It provides all the bells and whistles and is normally very accurate.

The unit worked well along the California Coast, Pacific Mexico, including the Sea of Cortez, El Salvador and Pacific Nicaragua.

The down side is, when we were cruisng south along the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, I lost the signal at about 9.5 degrees North or about half way down the coast of Costa Rica.

I am currently in Colon, Panama and am still not receiving the signal. I assume as I work north I should start picking it up again.

If you are cruising North America or the Northern Caribbean it is a good tool.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
We have used Sirius Weather via our Raymarine E-120 CHartplotter for over 3 years.

It provides all the bells and whistles and is normally very accurate.

The unit worked well along the California Coast, Pacific Mexico, including the Sea of Cortez, El Salvador and Pacific Nicaragua.

The down side is, when we were cruisng south along the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, I lost the signal at about 9.5 degrees North or about half way down the coast of Costa Rica.

I am currently in Colon, Panama and am still not receiving the signal. I assume as I work north I should start picking it up again.

If you are cruising North America or the Northern Caribbean it is a good tool.
Sounds like you're living the dream. I spend quite a bit of time these days planning my "escape". Don't know how or when, but my day is coming. Until then, gotta learn the ropes and take those bigger steps. This summer will be topped off with my first passage that will entail 40-48 hours across the Gulf. With that under my belt I think I'll be ready for a trip from the panhandle of Florida to the Keys next summer.

Thanks the feedback.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: