Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 22:38   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
With Handheld VHF with DSC any need for fixed unit?

Hi there,

Been reading up a little bit on DSC which seems a very good system. I was thinking, now that this is built into high end handheld VHF radios (with GPS as well) what's the point of an expensive fixed unit at the nav station?
You'd get more range I'm guessing, but is that the only real difference? What kind of range differences would you be looking at?

Also... Can a handheld vhf with dsc and gps (wow that's a mouthful) be used for Man Overboard?

If a person is carrying one of these unit's and falls off could they send a MOB distress call to another handheld on board? Along with GPS position, etc?
You could then throw that into the chart plotter and get back to them pretty darn easy I would have thought?

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:55   #2

Re: With Handheld VHF with DSC any need for fixed unit?

The person could use a "red" button to issue a digital MAYDAY call which would have their position. Your onboard DSC radio, and everybody else's in the vicinity, would receive the call and their positions. They could also place a digital station to station call to your onboard DCS radio.

Both radios have to be fitted with MMSI number for DSC to work. I am not sure if you can use the same MMSI number for two or more radios on one boat, or have to have the unique MMSI number on every radio. Anybody knows?
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:01   #3

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Range , comes to mind..
With the handheld , a few miles.
With the stationary unit and mast-top antenna, I get swedish, norwegian and danish forecasts here at the harbour in goteborg.

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Hi there,

Been reading up a little bit on DSC which seems a very good system. I was thinking, now that this is built into high end handheld VHF radios (with GPS as well) what's the point of an expensive fixed unit at the nav station?
You'd get more range I'm guessing, but is that the only real difference? What kind of range differences would you be looking at?

Also... Can a handheld vhf with dsc and gps (wow that's a mouthful) be used for Man Overboard?

If a person is carrying one of these unit's and falls off could they send a MOB distress call to another handheld on board? Along with GPS position, etc?
You could then throw that into the chart plotter and get back to them pretty darn easy I would have thought?

Regards,
Simon
If you want to have a reasonable quality conversation with other boats that are more than a mile away, you need a fixed radio. The handheld really only works within a mile or two. I'm not saying that is the distress calling range, as the Coastguard will pick you up on their sensitive antennas from a lot further. The problem is being able to hear what they are saying to you.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 00:10   #5

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Lightbulb Re: With Handheld VHF with DSC any need for fixed unit?

Quote:
Hi there,

Regards,
Simon
The MMSI number for a H/H VHF is a totaly different MMSI number than the one on the Ships VHF radio.

So you figure it out.

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:34   #6
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
The person could use a "red" button to issue a digital MAYDAY call which would have their position. Your onboard DSC radio, and everybody else's in the vicinity, would receive the call and their positions. They could also place a digital station to station call to your onboard DCS radio.

Both radios have to be fitted with MMSI number for DSC to work. I am not sure if you can use the same MMSI number for two or more radios on one boat, or have to have the unique MMSI number on every radio. Anybody knows?
The MMSI is unique to the vessel you may use the same number in several radios.

Quote:
FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing
Radios with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) Capability
If you have a marine radio with DSC capability, you must obtain a nine-digit maritime mobile service identity (MMSI) number and have it programmed into the unit before you transmit. Each vessel needs only one MMSI number. Prior to obtaining an MMSI number, you will be asked to provide certain information about your ship. It is important that you obtain an MMSI number because the U.S. Coast Guard uses this information to help speed search and rescue operations.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:06   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Was pondering much the same thing - Obviously range is the big difference, but I would presume a handheld could get "plugged" into an aerial onboard if needed or simply as the default when on standby (and on charge?).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19   #8

That would be amazing (the aerial) can you do that with handhelds?If I don't need the cost of a fixed unit I'd rather avoid it.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45   #9

Lightbulb Re: With Handheld VHF with DSC any need for fixed unit?

Quote:
That would be amazing (the aerial) can you do that with handhelds?If I don't need the cost of a fixed unit I'd rather avoid it.
OK.. Heres the info.... A hand held VHF Radio CANNOT be programmed with a ships radoi MMSI number Period! DSC is specifc

The VHF Radio MMSI number begins with a letter T. It is MANDATORY

Peter
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54   #10

Boat: Mac 26X

I don't know the entire market, but in Horizon brand, the HH with DSC/GPS is the HX851, Runs about $230. The fixed with same is the GX1700, at $207. So if you're buying new and cost is the issue...well there's no issue :-) (those are Defeneder's prices fyi)

But I keep both, as I often want the HH on the dinghy, kayak, OPB, etc
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02   #11

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

My handheds are 5watt max , while my stationary is 15 or 25 watts methinks..

I keep one handheld for my crew ,and one for me. But I still would not dream of not having a big one.. Mybe a H/H with external antenna is good enough for daysailing at the coast but beyond that the stationary VHF rules!

Cost?? come on! I need a lot of things on my boat, like a new motor , and new sails. Still I bought 3 VHF's before new sails.
Could get 30 more for the same price as new sails and a used motor.

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03   #12

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post

OK.. Heres the info.... A hand held VHF Radio CANNOT be programmed with a ships radoi MMSI number Period! DSC is specifc

The VHF Radio MMSI number begins with a letter T. It is MANDATORY

Peter
This info is wrong. As posted before, the MMSI is specific to the vessel, not the radio. For example, I have a fixed unit and handheld VHF both with the same MMSI.

The Standard Horizon HX850 is a nice radio that would meet your needs.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
This info is wrong. As posted before, the MMSI is specific to the vessel, not the radio. For example, I have a fixed unit and handheld VHF both with the same MMSI.

The Standard Horizon HX850 is a nice radio that would meet your needs.

Frank
THE LAW IS THE LAW You cannot I repeat Cannot use the same SHIPS MMSI number for a heand held vhf radio.

This is not meant to be offensive to the above person but How can he/she say should a bold bland lie to someone who is seeking the TRUTH and Factual evidence.

Peter
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27   #14

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
BOLLOCKS!!!!! LIAR LIAR THE LAW IS THE LAW You cannot I repeat Cannot use the same SHIPS MMSI number for a heand held vhf radio.

This is not meant to be offensive to the above person but How can he/she say should a bold bland lie to someone who is seeking the TRUTH and Factual evidence.

Peter
Regardless of who's correct here, you cannot say LIAR and "This is not meant to be offensive..." in the same post!

Let's see some documentation...as I cannot find anything to back up your stand, while another has posted a link that says one MMSI per boat.

EDIT: HAHA nice edit!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31   #15

Sod this, I'm getting a sat phone.

Tags
dsc, vhf