Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2007, 19:24   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Question wiring up a two way switch

I have just bought a new 24amp meanwell smart charger. The idea is to use it when I am on the boat in the marina and whenever the portable kipor genny is going when I am at sea. I will connect it to the batterys via a large dial switch and alternate it between the batterys according to what one I have drained the most at the time.

I went to burnsco and got ripped off on one of their 1,2,both, off battery dial switches.

Any help on wiring it up correctly would be appreciated.

At the back of the dial switch (where you connect the wires) it says 1, 2 and common.

This is what I intended to do:

Run a wire from the negative on the charger direct to the two negatives on my two deep cycle batteries.
then
Take a wire from the positive on the charger to the terminal marked “common” on the switch.
Then run a wire from the terminal marked “1” on the switch to the positive of battery number 1.
Then
Run a wire from the terminal marked “2” on the switch to the positive post of battery number 2.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 23:08   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I assume this is a single-battery type charger.
The problem I see in your set up is if you hook the charger to the common terminal on the switch, then you'll be charging the battery that you are using. Not the one that had drained down.

You need an isolater/splitter and run the charger directly to the batteries.
Old 17-10-2007, 23:35   #3

...using an isolator / combiner AND the 1 / 2 / both / off seems to be a good way to go. Just remember that the multi switch should also have an alternator field disconect on it too , so you dont blow your alternator up when changing between batteries. (Unless you turn your engine off before switching) . Hellroaring Technologies, inc., Manufacturer of Solid State Dual Battery Isolator / Combiners these combiner / Isolators look good (no relays).
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 00:46   #4

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Seafox has it right. He is just switching the charger and not the alternator with the switch. Don't need any isolators or other junk.
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 00:52   #5

Thanks Mike,
Yeah guys, you need to read my question. I am only using this when the motor is off.
It is just to plug into the mains when I am on the Marina in the weekends or to plug in when I am running my Kipor Generator when on Anchor. I want to be able to set the charger to only charge one batt at a time. This is because they are used separately and so have different levels of charge in them.
The idea of the genny is not to run my motor all the time to charge batts and check out the emails on the pc.
Old 18-10-2007, 00:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I assume this is a single-battery type charger.
The problem I see in your set up is if you hook the charger to the common terminal on the switch, then you'll be charging the battery that you are using. Not the one that had drained down.
Yes single battery type 3 stage smart charger. It can do two at once but as they both have different levels of charge I would prefer to do them separately.
This switch is ONLY for the charger. Not the motor. The batteries are connected via a separate 2 way switch to the motor. I can charge the battery not being used this way if I want to or the one being used as the house battery.
Old 18-10-2007, 03:33   #7

SF,

You have want to "direct" the charging to Batt 1 or 2, but not both ever?

So you need a SPST switch single pole double throw on the POS output side of your charger. The pos wire from the charger goes to the center post and one bat's pos terminal is connect to one of the two remaining posts and the other to the last one. Flipping the switch directs the charge to batt 1 or 2. You might find one with a center OFF position.

I am assuming that your batt 1 and batt 2 are the same size and there is no designated start battery. Yes?

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 07:39   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
This switch is ONLY for the charger. Not the motor. The batteries are connected via a separate 2 way switch to the motor. I can charge the battery not being used this way if I want to or the one being used as the house battery.
Yeah! That makes sence now. Your set up should work OK! And of course, if your running the motor, you don't need the Genny.
Old 18-10-2007, 08:41   #9

Looks all good, select 1 charge 1, select 2 charge 2, select both equalize and charge both.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 08:47   #10

Unless you disable the both switch position, size the wires from the switch, to the batteries, for equalization current.

Typically use 14.5 V to 9.5 V and the cold cranking amps.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote