Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-03-2013, 21:27   #16
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Obsolete maybe but you know what, it still works just fine. I have a great, if obsolete VGA monitor that is viewable in direct sunlight, even with the screen facing the sun, sharp, hi-rez, bright and clear. I have OpenCPN running on an obsolete Windows laptop that will drive the monitor. Whole setup cost me less than $400.

Just don't see any reason to spend a lot of money on a new technology gadget just because it's newer if the old stuff does the job.
But may be because it works better? Or is cheaper? Because I think $400 is a lot of money to put into obsolete tech when you can probably do it for less with new tech. VGA was obsoleted 15 years ago, 15 years! How long before that display stops working with dried-out capacitors?

Old 31-03-2013, 21:37   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Wireless PC video?

HDMI connectors are also smaller than VGA, so it may be possible to route them without cutting and splicing.

Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 21:39   #18
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
HDMI connectors are also smaller than VGA, so it may be possible to route them without cutting and splicing.
That is why I mentioned it, but it's a couple of generations too gimmicky
Old 31-03-2013, 21:46   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
But may be because it works better? Or is cheaper? Because I think $400 is a lot of money to put into obsolete tech when you can probably do it for less with new tech. VGA was obsoleted 15 years ago, 15 years! How long before that display stops working with dried-out capacitors?

I shopped for sunlight viewable monitors, screens, laptops and the cheapest I found were close to $2000, a little less for 5"-7" mini screens. I bought two surplus 12" Panasonic screens for $70, one to use, one for a spare. The bulk of the money was for a backup laptop that I would have purchased anyway plus $35 for a USB GPS antenna.

So please explain to me what would be better about a new HDMI screen? The one I have has resolution more that adequate to see the smallest detail on a chart. It is bright enough and I'll bet you a cold beverage that it will still be working at least 5-6 years down the road.
Old 31-03-2013, 21:52   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually HDMI has already been obsoleted, the new laptops have another type of port. And there's still another one that may obsolete that too, a super-cat-6 of some kind that looks a lot like an ethernet cable.

So running VGA cables...Why, doesn't your hologram projector work through the bulkheads? <G>
Old 31-03-2013, 22:10   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That is why I mentioned it, but it's a couple of generations too gimmicky
Just to avoid any confusion let me clarify one thing. I am no Luddite and in fact an electrical engineer and seriously appreciate the latest technology. However unlike some I don't have an unlimited budget to spend on new boat gadgets so if I can get the job done with obsolete technology for less money without compromising safety then I'm good.

However, if you can direct me towards a 12' or larger, true sunlight viewable screen that will interface with a PC based nav system that you would consider non-obsolete technology and I can buy for a couple hundred $ or so then I will be thrilled to enter the 21st Century.
Old 31-03-2013, 22:12   #22

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Getting the cable was not the question. In fact, I already have the cable. I was responding to the OP where he commented about the long complicated run made more difficult by the large VGA connector on the end of the cable.
Well, hey... maybe you could go wireless.

(Sorry. I promise to read the threads more carefully)
Old 31-03-2013, 22:35   #23
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I shopped for sunlight viewable monitors, screens, laptops and the cheapest I found were close to $2000, a little less for 5"-7" mini screens. I bought two surplus 12" Panasonic screens for $70, one to use, one for a spare. The bulk of the money was for a backup laptop that I would have purchased anyway plus $35 for a USB GPS antenna.

So please explain to me what would be better about a new HDMI screen? The one I have has resolution more that adequate to see the smallest detail on a chart. It is bright enough and I'll bet you a cold beverage that it will still be working at least 5-6 years down the road.
Okay, you bought the components for doing this already; that was not clear, you acted like you had that already as old left-overs. This kind of ties our hands on what we can do to make it work;

I have managed to get VGA to work over 12-15' of cable. I never managed 20' (without getting echo's on the display) and never tried anything between the two. I do know that it can work if you use coax cables like a previous poster wrote. Soldering the dsub-15 is easy but you need to buy one first as the ones you have are probably molded on. You could cut a cable in the middle and splice every wire by soldering and using mini heatshrink followed by a big heatshrink over the lot. The splice will introduce new/more echo's on the display.

Every other option costs money, like converters at each end etc.

You must know that high intensity (>=1000 nits) age by losing intensity. I believe the displays sold 2nd hand have all been replaced for that reason.

good luck!
Nick.
Old 31-03-2013, 22:46   #24
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just to avoid any confusion let me clarify one thing. I am no Luddite and in fact an electrical engineer and seriously appreciate the latest technology. However unlike some I don't have an unlimited budget to spend on new boat gadgets so if I can get the job done with obsolete technology for less money without compromising safety then I'm good.

However, if you can direct me towards a 12' or larger, true sunlight viewable screen that will interface with a PC based nav system that you would consider non-obsolete technology and I can buy for a couple hundred $ or so then I will be thrilled to enter the 21st Century.
No. Your requirement are so rigid that you have no more room to maneuver. It must run OCPN and it must use all the (dumped by others) components like old laptop and display or cost less. And you have already spent the budget so changing is not a viable option anymore, so why discuss it?

Maybe you could put up a bimini to keep the sun off the screen instead, or buy a $100 app instead of OCPN so that you get more choice?

I have all the budget to spend but not a single plotter outside in the sun, which means I spent less than you. Still, I go anywhere because I do not even want to navigate out in the sun. If I must hand steer out there, I look at a small display that shows me a highway graphic to the next waypoint (700 nits, $400.-), which is controlled by the navigation system inside, where there is no direct sunlight.

So, in the end I paid the same $400.-
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

skip-
" if you can direct me towards a 12' or larger,"

Twelve FOOT, eh? Putting a Jumbotron in the cockpit, to watch the Army/Navy game? <G>

Good trick to find 12"+ at any price in a daylight viewable screen but last time I heard, they were more like a thousand dollars not a couple of hundred.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
skip-
" if you can direct me towards a 12' or larger,"

Twelve FOOT, eh? Putting a Jumbotron in the cockpit, to watch the Army/Navy game? <G>

Good trick to find 12"+ at any price in a daylight viewable screen but last time I heard, they were more like a thousand dollars not a couple of hundred.
Certainly, a 12 foot screen. I plan to set up like a drive in theater in the anchorage. Will be the most popular boat in the harbor and never pay for drinks again.

But yes, you are correct about the price. I've researched the subject at length and all the sunlight viewable screens I found were in the $2000 range. That's why, for now, I will stick with the 12 INCH Panasonic screen. 2 for $70 from eBay and I tested them with the sun shining directly on the screen and they were perfect. Not dimmed out or burned out and no ghost images. I can set one up under the dodger and it will be out of the way of the helm and sheets but still perfectly visible from the helm.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

dammit, skip, you've got something there!

One of those little pocket projectors, hoist a nice bright bedsheet after dinner...A new way for cruisers to make money while cruising! And as long as there's no theater in town, the locals may not even protest.

12" Panasonic from eBay? RFE or?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23   #28
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the time you got it installed you can get Google glasses that do it all for less
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
dammit, skip, you've got something there!

One of those little pocket projectors, hoist a nice bright bedsheet after dinner...A new way for cruisers to make money while cruising! And as long as there's no theater in town, the locals may not even protest.
If there's no local theater may be a way to get in tight with the locals. Could even help avoid local extortion.

Quote:
12" Panasonic from eBay? RFE or?
Exactly. I think they were used very commonly in police cruisers so set up as a remote screen connected to a portable computer/keyboard setup. Someone in one of the previous threads mentioned them so I gave it a try. Not perfect, not waterproof but I will mount mine under the dodger and only need it for a few specifics anyway.

When I brought my boat down from RI to FL there were a few spots on the ICW where markers were far apart or the channel twisting and turning so I was up and down from the nav table to the cockpit 5 times a minute with binoculars and the handheld GPS or paper chart making sure we were dead center channel. Some spots I'm sure you know, a foot out of the channel and you're in the mud.

99.834% of the time I don't care where I am to that degree of accuracy so a screen below at the nav station is just fine. But when I want real time at the helm it's handy.
Old 01-04-2013, 22:43   #30

Wireless hdmi get them online or best buy.one wireless transmitter one wireless receiver

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: