Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2008, 10:35   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Wireless braodband access and multiple PCs

Does anyone know if one of the cards from Verizon, for example, can be used on one PC and get accessed by another at the same time?

I am envisioning two people on the boat wanting to use the internet at the same time, during the evening lets say. During the day one may be working online while the other may want to see a radar map, or some such thing.

Is there a way for this to happen? Some sort of cable or broadband router on board?

I would not want have to buy and subscribe to two.
__________________

__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 13:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,453
Not exactly sure what you mean.

If you are talking about a 'local network' that accesses the broadband network of Verizon, sure. But, you'll need a 'wireless' method of computers accessing the network 'server'. Most modern computers come with a built in wireless card. So, your 'server' (which CAN be one of the computers), would need to have the card and such for accessing Verizon.
__________________

__________________
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 13:47   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Although two computers could access the wireless network by networking the two computers together they would not be able to access the internet at the same time and be able to visit different sites. At least that is the way it used to be unless something has changed recently.
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 13:52   #4
Registered User
 
Microship's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: living aboard in Friday Harbor, WA
Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Posts: 699
Images: 7
I don't know how PC's work, but on the Mac you can just turn on "Internet Connection Sharing." That will let a second one also use the same pipe to the net. An alternative and more convenient solution (not requiring the "connected" machine to also be on) is to add a small router that contains the Verizon card. I use an EVDO card for Sprint plugged into a Top Global 6800 router with wireless access point, velcro'd to a bulkhead. Any laptop can get online, my Eye-Fi card in the digital camera can talk to the Mac, and I can access it from home with reverse DNS to look at the boat's webcam or whatever...

I have a blog post from last December that links to some of the sources of this gizmology, though there are probably newer/cheaper/better items now (of course).

Cheers!
Steve
__________________
M/V Datawake
Nomadic Research Labs
Microship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 13:53   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class
 
dacust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southeast USA.
Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Posts: 1,743
I did a Google on "cell card multiple pc"

First hit came up with a $60 solution.

The Digital RVer: Multiple Computers - One Internet Connection

It basically must come with software to give you a proxy server on the primary PC. You hook it up to the PC that has the cell card and then other computers can connect through the wireless access point.

Second hit is an article that explores multiple solutions.

http://usatoday.jiwire.com/cellular-...-data-plan.htm
__________________
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 13:56   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
I don't know how PC's work, but on the Mac you can just turn on "Internet Connection Sharing." That will let a second one also use the same pipe to the net. An alternative and more convenient solution (not requiring the "connected" machine to also be on) is to add a small router that contains the Verizon card. I use an EVDO card for Sprint plugged into a Top Global 6800 router with wireless access point, velcro'd to a bulkhead. Any laptop can get online, my Eye-Fi card in the digital camera can talk to the Mac, and I can access it from home with reverse DNS to look at the boat's webcam or whatever...

I have a blog post from last December that links to some of the sources of this gizmology, though there are probably newer/cheaper/better items now (of course).

Cheers!
Steve
Thanks.

Maybe that is what I need, although I know that things that you consider common and easy far and away exceed what I will ever learn.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 14:00   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I did a Google on "cell card multiple pc"

First hit came up with a $60 solution.

The Digital RVer: Multiple Computers - One Internet Connection

It basically must come with software to give you a proxy server on the primary PC. You hook it up to the PC that has the cell card and then other computers can connect through the wireless access point.

Second hit is an article that explores multiple solutions.

http://usatoday.jiwire.com/cellular-...-data-plan.htm
Yea,
So it will be possible to "rent" only one card and we both can do stuff at the same time.

Thanks.

I am over planning everything I know but I want to be informed before I buy.

Thanks again.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 15:11   #8
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,965
I believe what might work is an "EVDO Router" like this one from Cradlepoint.

CradlePoint EVDO Router CTR350 Review : EVDOinfo.com

If I understand it correctly, you plug your Verizon or Sprint card into it and it becomes a standard wifi router. You then connect from PC(s) just like a home wifi network. In my case, I want to place the Cellular modem near an external antenna without then having to run wire to where I'll be using the computer.

I haven't gotten around to trying it but plan to order one soon.

Carl
__________________
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 15:26   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Nice one.

...........
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 16:03   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Search around the forum, there has been lots of discussion on this. The easiest way is to set up a router (perhaps D-Link) with wireless capability and an "Access Point" for a wireless connection to the internet service provider. I have never read this but you might want to pick up "Wireless Networks for Dummies" or the "802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide".

A D-Link router is quite cheap, around $40. - $50 at Staples, for instance. If you are connecting to the internet via a wireless access point you can do a search on the web and find a number of solutions for higher powered units. Also the SSCA forum, Communications forum has a number of threads with equipment discussions for higher powered access points. It is all quite simple, but confusing to someone who doesn't understand networks.

What you end up with is two networks, one on board network, and a network connection to the internet. These two are seamlessly connected together via the router.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 16:14   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
. It is all quite simple, but confusing to someone who doesn't understand networks.

What you end up with is two networks, one on board network, and a network connection to the internet. These two are seamlessly connected together via the router.
Yup! Ya gotta keep the "network" stuff really simple for me.

That was what I wanted to know.

If I had one card from Verizon, could I make it so I could use more than one laptop at the same time.

It seems as though it is possible.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 16:47   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,965
I talked with the guys at EVDO info (find them at the above Cradlepoint link) and they seemed really up to speed and very helpful on everything to do with these cards. They also had a lot of advice on external antennas which they seem to have actually tested.

Not really a recommendation since I haven't bought anything from them yet - but I'd give them a call.

Carl
__________________
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 16:56   #13
Captain
 
Andy R's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Forianopolis, Brasil
Posts: 1,574
Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
You might also want to consider an HSPDA modem with a router similar to the one Carl suggested above. HSDPA is the "other" technology that works on GSM networks. GSM networks were slow to get fast while EVDO networks got an early start. If you will be in US waters then EVDO could be the best choice but if you are going to be international then you would probably want to look at HSDPA. In many countries you just buy a new SIM card with the HSDPA and some prepaid bandwidth and you are in business for just a small fee. I am in Brazil and they are now promoting 7MB wireless connections over HSPDA (3.5g). Here is a link describing the two different wireless types:
Mobile internet access with EVDO and HSDPA - what is it - how to guides - HP Small and Medium Business

Getting a card that can connect to an external antenna is probably pretty wise for boosting reception when you are on the fringe.
__________________
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 17:26   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Here is a link describing the two different wireless types:
Mobile internet access with EVDO and HSDPA - what is it - how to guides - HP Small and Medium Business

Getting a card that can connect to an external antenna is probably pretty wise for boosting reception when you are on the fringe.
So much to digest.
Good thing I probably have a lot of time before I actually do anything.
Thanks.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 20:22   #15
Obsfucator, Second Class
 
dacust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southeast USA.
Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Search around the forum, there has been lots of discussion on this. The easiest way is to set up a router (perhaps D-Link) with wireless capability and an "Access Point" for a wireless connection to the internet service provider. I have never read this but you might want to pick up "Wireless Networks for Dummies" or the "802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide".

A D-Link router is quite cheap, around $40. - $50 at Staples, for instance. If you are connecting to the internet via a wireless access point you can do a search on the web and find a number of solutions for higher powered units. Also the SSCA forum, Communications forum has a number of threads with equipment discussions for higher powered access points. It is all quite simple, but confusing to someone who doesn't understand networks.

What you end up with is two networks, one on board network, and a network connection to the internet. These two are seamlessly connected together via the router.
This clarification is more for Therapy to avoid confusion. What Deep Frz is talking about is for a wifi network, not the cell connection you are looking for.
__________________

__________________
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pcs to a puzzle that works? terrydean Meets & Greets 14 27-01-2007 18:00
Free Wireless GordMay The Library 0 30-11-2005 03:24
Multiple GPS readers Strygaldwir Marine Electronics 5 25-10-2005 06:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.