Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-07-2016, 16:23   #16

Re: Winlink on ICOM M700

Thanks for the heads-up, Dockhead. I'm aware of the speed limitations of Winmor vs Pactor. I'll see if I can live with it for the limited emails I receive, and upgrade if needed.

belizesailor, thanks for the info. I have a feeling the M700 came out before software updates were a thing. If not, it might be a switch or bridging a circuit.

Thank you for relaying your experience with the M700, John! I'm happy manually tuning to search for optimum frequencies...but of course I've only ever done so on land. The other limitations you note may not be an issue, but we'll see. If I need to upgrade down the road for whatever reason, I'll do so. However, as you said, this might be an ideal starter radio for a licensed HAM.

Old 05-07-2016, 21:46   #17

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist 66 View Post
However, as you said, this might be an ideal starter radio for a licensed HAM.
Have you had a look at the icom ic 706?
Very popular lower end ham radios, works fine with winlink using a signalink usb box. I haven't used the m700 but the 706 may well be more versatile for ham use.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Have you had a look at the icom ic 706?
Very popular lower end ham radios, works fine with winlink using a signalink usb box. I haven't used the m700 but the 706 may well be more versatile for ham use.
Thank you for the suggestion. However the FCC prohibits the use of non-marine certified transmitters on maritime frequencies. I believe it has something to do with tighter frequency control to prevent interference with adjacent frequencies.
Old 07-07-2016, 23:37   #19

Location: Back on Campo el Pinguino.. Boat in Puerto Williams, Chile
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. However the FCC prohibits the use of non-marine certified transmitters on maritime frequencies. I believe it has something to do with tighter frequency control to prevent interference with adjacent frequencies.
I thought you were looking for a radio to run Winlink/Winmor... no mention of wanting to use Sailmail.

I quote from #1

'My question is: will it be more difficult to send emails via Winlink using the M700 vs more modern "data enabled" transceivers? '

If you want marine band Sailmail ( with Pactor) and also Winlink while staying strictly legal I would go with a 710... If only Winlink/Winmor a 706Mk2G or a 718...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:57   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I thought you were looking for a radio to run Winlink/Winmor... no mention of wanting to use Sailmail.

I quote from #1

'My question is: will it be more difficult to send emails via Winlink using the M700 vs more modern "data enabled" transceivers? '

If you want marine band Sailmail ( with Pactor) and also Winlink while staying strictly legal I would go with a 710... If only Winlink/Winmor a 706Mk2G or a 718...
Yes --

And remember that there's no Winmor support AFAIK on Sailmail. It's Pactor only. But in any case, Pactor III & IV is far better than Winmor, whether you're using Winlink or Sailmail, and not all Winlink stations support Winmor either.

People complain about the cost of Pactor modems -- maybe because they think they're basically the same thing as regular modems we used to use on land -- but they are packed with all kinds of technology and really fantastically useful. They are worth every penny in my opinion. Besides many other functions, they will also decode weatherfax and navtex more conveniently than you can do it with a soundcard.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:44   #21

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
People complain about the cost of Pactor modems -- maybe because they think they're basically the same thing as regular modems we used to use on land -- but they are packed with all kinds of technology and really fantastically useful. They are worth every penny in my opinion. Besides many other functions, they will also decode weatherfax and navtex more conveniently than you can do it with a soundcard.
Wow!
Just checked the prices - even a pactor111 is more than an ebay 706 ham set c/w signalink which works fine for winlink email, wfax & navtex so nice if you've that kind of money to spare, some day maybe..
Old 08-07-2016, 05:47   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Wow!
Just checked the prices - even a pactor111 is more than an ebay 706 ham set c/w signalink which works fine for winlink email, wfax & navtex so nice if you've that kind of money to spare, some day maybe..
New Pactor III USB is only 635 squids from Sailcom.co.uk. Used one maybe 1/2 to 2/3 that. You don't need to tell me that on a boat every penny counts . . . but still, that's not really big money. IMHO a very good investment if you do any volume of emails, and mandatory if you're using SailMail.
Old 08-07-2016, 18:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I quote from #1

Sorry if my response was confusing. I was just pointing out that the use of non-marine transceivers on marine frequencies aboard US-registered vessels was prohibited by the FCC. This was in response to the suggestion that I use a HAM rig aboard a boat. Am I missing something?
Old 08-07-2016, 19:29   #24

Location: Back on Campo el Pinguino.. Boat in Puerto Williams, Chile
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

I'm sure its just me.
Your early posts all suggested that you only wanted to operate on ham frequencies when afloat.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 20:33   #25

You're right, I wasn't completely clear. I want to use both marine and HAM frequencies from the same transceiver. That's what attracts me to the M700: easier to tune in non-marine frequencies, while being FCC compliant for marine frequencies. At least in theory.
Old 09-07-2016, 00:50   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You're right, I wasn't completely clear. I want to use both marine and HAM frequencies from the same transceiver. That's what attracts me to the M700: easier to tune in non-marine frequencies, while being FCC compliant for marine frequencies. At least in theory.
I think this reasoning is sound.

I might not care about the legality if there were no functional differences (none of my radios has a CE wheelmark ) , but there are significant advantages to the performance and human interface of marine HF radios over ham ones, for a vessel at sea.

The M700 is a very good radio, but you might keep your eyes open for a bargain on an M802. I acquired mine plus Pactor modem for less than $1000. DSC is even more useful in HF than in VHF (there's no hailing channel on HF, plus all the safety features John has so well described). Remote mounting of the radio can also vastly simplify the installation of the M802.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-07-2016, 08:21   #27

Thanks for the advise Dockhead. As I don't have a boat yet, I'll use a M700 to talk on ham frequencies and listen to marine nets. I'll use the M700 to send and receive on marine frequencies when I have a boat and cruise near shores. Once I start cruising some distance from shore, I'll probably upgrade to an M802 with DSC capabilities and keep the M700 as a back-up.

Odd that many people are now foregoing the SSB in favor of satellite communications...and I'll have two SSB transceivers on board.
Old 09-07-2016, 14:20   #28

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

If you want a really good radio to have email access via winmor check for the IC 7200. It has a built-in soundcard that allow me to upload and dowload up to 8kbyte/min with the RMS software via the winmor stations, not so far from a Pactor IIi. With the IC 7200 you just need to set a USB cable from the radio to your PC. The RMS software can control the radio via the usb cable so you don't have to set the frequencies! The same radio control allow any weatherfax/navtex software to automatically switch freq as the pc download the weather. So you can set a schedule and have all your weather infos automatically downloaded by the pc and radio.
Not to mention the big difference in the voice transmissions of a good ham radio over a marine one.
In my old boat I got a M802 and a Icom 706 and the old cheap 706 got ever better report over the new expensive M802 with the same antenna!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-07-2016, 12:27   #29

Is it the M700 or the M700-pro?
In my opinion is the 30+ years old M700 complete useless for Winlink or sailmail. It has only 16 fixed programmed frequencies, a complete dead end.
The M700-pro is a perfect radio for winlink or Sailmail and is a camouflaged M710, but still 15-20 years old. Be aware of old electronics and a marine environment!
(After almost 500 Sailmail and Winlink installations since 1999, I suppose I have a little inside view about this stuff.)

Tags
icom, m700

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: