Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 08:46   #76
QBF

Re: Windows vs Linux vs MacOS vs Others

It's been interesting reading about peoples favorite operating systems and why they prefer them.

So far I've read about Windows (multiple versions), Apple OS, Linux (various flavours), and Navigatrix.

I'd like to add one more for the "adventurous" types.

Introducing Red Star OS!

This operating system includes a series of custom applications, such as the Naenara browser (Naenara means My Country in Korean), a Bokem crypto tool, Sogwand Office (a version of Open Office), swmng (Software Manager), MusicScore for composing music, a calculator, an e-mail client, audio and video players, and games.

North Korea's Red Star OS - Government Surveillance at Its Best | SecurityWeek.Com

Red Star OS has even been endorsed by Supreme Leader, Kim Jong-un!

QBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:50   #77
QBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Have been running Navigatrix as a sole operating system for several years with no regrets... Custom distro based on a stripped down Debian/Ubuntu core, it will run side by side with Window$ if needs be. Built by cruisers for cruisers it contains a ton of pre-configured software including OpenCpn, Zygrib, etc. Good support through user forum. Free and runs on old laptops fine (Thinkpad t-40 t-60).

Just sayin...
I downloaded Navigatrix. I haven't installed it yet but I am looking forward to testing it.

Thanks for telling us about it!
Old 06-05-2017, 14:41   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

The bad elf gps talks to my IPad over Bluetooth, was not horribly expensive, and runs a long time on a charge. As it charges on a USB connection it can use the same charger as the iPad. And no monthly fee. Say what you will but in crowded areas with lots of buildings "assisted gps" can jump around a bit. Not an issue offshore of course.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 15:27   #79

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBF View Post
It's been interesting reading about peoples favorite operating systems and why they prefer them.

So far I've read about Windows (multiple versions), Apple OS, Linux (various flavours), and Navigatrix.

I'd like to add one more for the "adventurous" types.

Introducing Red Star OS!

This operating system includes a series of custom applications, such as the Naenara browser (Naenara means My Country in Korean), a Bokem crypto tool, Sogwand Office (a version of Open Office), swmng (Software Manager), MusicScore for composing music, a calculator, an e-mail client, audio and video players, and games.

North Korea's Red Star OS - Government Surveillance at Its Best | SecurityWeek.Com

Red Star OS has even been endorsed by Supreme Leader, Kim Jong-un!

I don't think that I can, err, pun intended trump that.

The trouble is that, as happened in the US elections, there are enough clowns out there to take a joke seriously. As the subsequent post in this thread sadly shows!
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:04   #80
QBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
I don't think that I can, err, pun intended trump that.

The trouble is that, as happened in the US elections, there are enough clowns out there to take a joke seriously. As the subsequent post in this thread sadly shows!
Red Star OS is an actual operating system designed and built by the North Korean government. Anyone who actually took the time to read the information in the link I provided in the original post would know this.

And Donald Trump has absolutely nothing to do with it.

As there are several Linux geeks who have posted in this thread, I decided to post about this operating system.

For those brave enough to download and install this OS, you can find a download link by performing a web search on Red Star OS.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:20   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

And if you think you are smart you will be using the Tor to pay ;-) for your Linux with Bitcoins.

And if you actually are, then you will simply check who created it and where most servers are located and simply give yourself a break.

Use simple, up to date solutions that are known to work. Windows, iOS, Android, maybe one of the main Linux distros (Ubuntu?).

If you have to ask questions about system X, system X is probably not the best solution for you.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 14:55   #82

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Red Star OS is an actual operating system designed and built by the North Korean government. Anyone who actually took the time to read the information in the link I provided in the original post would know this.

And Donald Trump has absolutely nothing to do with it.

As there are several Linux geeks who have posted in this thread, I decided to post about this operating system.

For those brave enough to download and install this OS, you can find a download link by performing a web search on Red Star OS.
If you do the most modest research about this system you will realise why you would have to be Trump crazy to even contemplate it. Hence my considering the mere mention of it as a joke.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 15:27   #83

Boat: a sailing boat

For reference:

OpenCPN downloads:

Windows / MacOS / Linux

25:5:1

qtVlm downloads:

10:2:1

I do not have Android numbers but the developers will.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:37   #84

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
For reference:

OpenCPN downloads:

Windows / MacOS / Linux

25:5:1

qtVlm downloads:

10:2:1

I do not have Android numbers but the developers will.

b.
Those numbers correspond with the overall distribution of operating systems.

It's interesting to note, from the link below, that android installed device shipments blow both Windows and ios out of the water. This is possibly a pointer to the real direction of shipboard computing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usag...rating_systems
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:39   #85

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The aluminum back on iPad has been linked to degraded GPS performance when not in cell tower range. I use an iPad pro in the cockpit at work. When airborne, gps position is not resolved accurately enough to satisfy the Jepp application better than 50%of the time. Knowing this, I don't use iPad on the boat. My Android devices generate accuracy that is within a few feet of my Wass enabled plotter every time. Since my cruising grounds are full of rocks, I like the accurate second opinion on my position.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 18:05   #86

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
And if you think you are smart you will be using the Tor to pay ;-) for your Linux with Bitcoins.

And if you actually are, then you will simply check who created it and where most servers are located and simply give yourself a break.

Use simple, up to date solutions that are known to work. Windows, iOS, Android, maybe one of the main Linux distros (Ubuntu?).

If you have to ask questions about system X, system X is probably not the best solution for you.

Cheers,
b.
Even with tor and bitcoin would be goofy idea. It's probably a sanction problem.

My favorite? Alpine Linux
Old 09-05-2017, 19:35   #87

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
I downloaded Navigatrix. I haven't installed it yet but I am looking forward to testing it.

Thanks for telling us about it!
I am wondering if there is somebody on this forum involved in development or closely familiar with Navigatrix?

I am surprised that it was not publicized as much as other computer stuff.

Cheers!
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 09:50   #88

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
To the OP.

If I said my Macbook Pro was a pile 'o crap, a whole bunch of people will get upset.
If I said Windows was a pile 'o crap, another whole bunch, but the first bunch will be nodding.

So here is what I will say. We changed to Linux Mint with the Mate desktop.
Its all working, never had a glitch, fast, stable, reliable, fun, interesting, safe, and does everything better than anything else we have tried at a way better price. Nothing on a cloud because there is no Internet out sailing.

Do yourself a favor, check if you have a 64 or 32 bi processor, head over to Linux Mint, look for the Mate desktop, download the ISO, Verify it, burn yourself a usb drive, and take it for a test run. (obviously it will be slow on a usb drive)

If you like it, install it and be happy.

Oh, enable the firewall, then head over to grc.com and test your vulnerability.

We have not looked back.
Openoffice replaces MS Office
OpenCPN native
GNUcash replaces Quicken
Thunderbird replaces Outlook
etc...etc...etc...

Well, after 7 painfull years of Linux, I finally dropped it and converted 5 Years ago back to Windows 7. I do have Win8 / Win10, but it is crap with all the apps, the modern UI and "always online" stuff.

Ubuntu gets way to bloated and OpenOffice is far away from usable and compatible to the Office world, where MS rules. The WAF is almost zero for Linux, however on the server side I do use FreeBSD for my NAS with ZFS.

The Linux Gnome / KDE Desktop is really a mess, totally bloated. The XFCE is still the most usable and lightweight UI to use. But all the dependencies and updates of unknown libraries and kernel modules, all the text configuration files and security holes. I prefer a stripped down W7 system with only few services running, no shiny UI, instead a stable workhorse and easy to configure.

Sorry guys, W7 was the "Last Known Good" Windows.

Despite there is no touch UI and you have to tickle your mouse...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 13:45   #89

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Try asking a question at a Linux forum: you will hear things I have heard: "you question is not correctly asked" or "this question has been already answered" or "open the terminal window and try typing ..." etc. etc. etc.
I do not want to be pushed around by halfwit self proclaimed Linux gurus...
Hmmm, I struggle to see what exactly would be the problem with those answers...? They seem precise and to the point, unlike much else on the web.

Take the "your question is not correctly asked":

I would guess this was expressed by someone relatively skilled in a certain area, who would be ready to help but sees a fundamental fault in the way you approach a problem. Like if you'd ask "how many gallons can the GPS make per hour..?"

I'd say it might be wise, then, to stay calm and prepare to learn something, rather than arguing about being pushed around.

Regarding "this question has been already answered": Great! Google is your friend then. Some forums even have their own search engines, FAQs etc.

The reason I take the time to write any of this, though, is the last item in your list:

The instruction "open the terminal window and try typing ..."

Here it seems a kind person is not only willing to help you directly, but is instructing you about exactly what to do, all the way down to what keys to press.

Help doesn't get much better than that.

If those answers are typical for the Linux community, I would say it is a good place to be.

Disclaimer: I have never tried Linux but am seriously tempted now that my Win10 system once again has forced an update and reboot overnight.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 13:48   #90

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I prefer a stripped down W7 system with only few services running, no shiny UI, instead a stable workhorse and easy to configure.
I think a lot of people agree with you, but what will you do in 2020 when M$ no longer supports W7 with security patches? W7 is a dead end, and in a little over two years you will have to migrate somewhere or take increasing risks.

Have you tried Linux Mint? They have an XFCE edition. It is an improvement over Ubuntu IMHO. But if you really want a high WAF try Elementary OS - it is very clean and attractive, if still Linux/Ubuntu under the bonnet.

I do share your frustration with Linux: I guess they never heard the expression "it just works". OTOH there is a consistency and logic to it that can be understood; I hate trawling through the ever-changing landscape of Windows control panels to make minor changes, and now with W10 the uncontrolled updating. Ugh.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, wind