Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 14:00   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Windows/Microsoft Substitute

I've been using computers for decades, but not as a tech. I go back to Dos and Win 2. I use an older Dell with Win 7 for nav programs. I also use a Mac for a backup nav program. I waited several months before updating to Win 10, but after a few more months, I went back to 7.
Why I went back would need to be another thread.
Is there a real option to Windows like Ubuntu that will run software written for windows. One I looked at is Zorin/Wine. There are just too many programs written only for windows that I want to use. I would prefer not to keep a computer just for a few programs nor waste any more time trying to make newer windows software work as well as 7. As I see it everything after 7 was down hill. Windows 11 can only be worse. I want to get the transition over while 7 still is current.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 15:34   #2

Boat: 68 tartan 34c
Re: Windows/Microsoft Substitute

'Navagatrix', a sailors companion. Fast, stable, all a sailor could ask for, plus runs off a usb stick. Set up for dual boot and you can keep your PC unchanged to run windows programs when you like.

Navigatrix.net - A Voyager's Companion •
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 15:57   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I am on 8.1 (now) and 10 (at times) and can't see any of the problems people name. I also have an older XP SP 3 machine that I love. I cannot see very much difference from XP onwards, much as I never warmed up to 7.

You can have a dual boot machine if there is anything non-Windows that you want to use.

I have played with Linuxes (mostly Ubuntu then some less common styles). I found it next to useless from a long term windows user perspective. But it is free if anything.

Try a dual boot machine for the start, see how this works for you.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:13   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

A Linux machine with one or both of the following:

WINE: https://www.winehq.org/

VirtualBox: Make sure you use a suitable Linux version
See: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:26   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I'm not a big fan of WINE on Linux. It runs some stuff alright, but as soon as the Windows application starts getting any complexity it either won't run full stop or will have weird behaviors introduced. If your computer has the grunt, Virtualbox with Windows is the best solution, IMO. In fact, running Windows in a virtual environment is probably the best way to run Windows in the long term. Having said that, I switched to Linux 3 years ago now and, aside from the stuff I need for work (which runs in virtual Windows installations), the only Windows app I haven't been able to either run well under WINE or replace to my satisfaction with a Linux equivalent has been Visio.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:33   #6

Do a sear h here on "Windows 10" Many of these issues have been discussed in great and useful detail.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:39   #7

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Stu, that link to Virtualbox site is enough to make me switch off completely.

This really is the problem with The Linux world - the user has to be into DIY computing stuff and spend a load of time whereas most of us lazily just want plug and play.

I guess I just stay with Mac and virtual Windoze or run two computers.

Sent from my iPhone
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 17:02   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Stu, that link to Virtualbox site is enough to make me switch off completely.

This really is the problem with The Linux world - the user has to be into DIY computing stuff and spend a load of time whereas most of us lazily just want plug and play.

I guess I just stay with Mac and virtual Windoze or run two computers.

Sent from my iPhone
You'd be surprised these days. New hardware can be a problem, but if a vendor supports Linux it is easier to set up then Windows. Point in case - setting up printers and printing. Printing in Linux used to be an absolute nightmare but, imo, is now trivial and less frustrating then Windows. Having said that, at times you need to bust out a terminal to achieve something if you want to go outside the norm.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 17:02   #9

Boat: Landlocked right now.

I have a dual boot set-up. Win10 and Ubuntu. Since I updated from Win8 i find myself most of the time in Windows 10, and I like it. I did not have a single problem since updating.

I exclusively used Apple from 1984 for my personal computing needs and only "accidentally" stumbled over to Microsoft. You could call me an Apple fanboy.

However my MacBook died on me and there was no Apple dealer where I was at the time. So I bought a 400$ HP laptop as an interim solution. Since then I asked myself constantly what I could have done with the money I overspent on Apple products.

Win 10 is absolutely fine for my needs did not crash so far and is quite fast even on the cheap laptop I use.
Old 07-06-2016, 17:56   #10

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Is there a real option to Windows like Ubuntu that will run software written for windows.
No, there is no universal "translator" that will run all Windows apps on Linux. Either the apps you run are designed for Linux or you can run a few Windows apps in Wine. However, there will be many Windows programs that don't work under Wine.

I run Windows 10 and have no issues with it. It is very reliable and fast on cheap hardware. This laptop cost $250 and does everything just as well as my previous $900 laptop running Windows 7.

Windows 10 is not that bad in my opinion.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 18:54   #11

I've been using Windows 10 without problems in all my computers. That being said, I'm using Linux mint more and more. There are weeks where I don't even boot to Windows anymore. Why?

After messing with LM for three days, I rebooted into Windows and started to notice tiny flaws, fractions of ocasional sluggishness that I never witnessed before.

I rebooted back into LM and the snappiness was back.

I'm taking about a i7 with six cores and 16gb ram... Not some prehistoric relic that would have trouble running Windows 10.

In LM, I boot in 1.8 sec. In W10 it takes over 7 secs.

In the past weeks I was able to replace everything I use in Windows with Linux alternatives except office which I now run through wine (2010).

I'm also getting back at latex which produces awesome documents (scientific articles) which is something windows and office can only dream about.

Is it plug and play? Not for me but I like it. You guys all love tinkering on your boats so what's wrong with tinkering a bit with Linux?

One thing I do recommend is for anybody to install timeshift. A noob (and sometimes pro alike) will make a mistake and screw up the whole installation. With timeshift you can roll back just like with Windows restore point.

Good luck. Stay away from the fruit company. [emoji14]

Tony

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 20:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 w/PentiumD945 and 8gb of ram. I bought it used a couple years ago as a backup for a Mac PowerbookPro.
About me: I use a cell phone for phone calls, nothing else. I have a desktop for the internet or my Mac. The Mac is portable. I don't have an i anything. I do have music and some movies on the computers. The only gagits I have serve the boat.
My main complaint with Win 10 is cpu running at 99-100% with no apps running. My #2 complaint is no control over updates. By spending many hours searching for solutions to the high cpu/memory usage problem I could get usage down to 60-70% and then a surprise windows upgrade would bring it back to 99-100% usage. Also the internet crawls. Even Firefox would freeze or crash once a day. #3 complaint is many older programs wouldn't run. Some did with an upgrade and others had no solution. Also cooling fans run at high speed and computer puts out enough heat to keep a cabin warm in the winter.
Now back on 7, cpu usage is 2-3% with no apps running. Internet is fast again.
Firefox and other programs don't crash.
If there is no alternate os then I will keep this Dell and Win 7 for apps I want to run and the Mac for everything else. No new windows for me.
Thanks for the info.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 21:39   #13

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Take a look at Linux Mint Mate. No need to install, just boot off the cd/memory stick, its the best linux distro for windows migrators.
Old 07-06-2016, 21:55   #14

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
updates...
Yeah I agree with this one. As long I'm on my home adsl it does not matter, but on the boat every kb counts.

On the boat I'm only using Linux.
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 22:27   #15

Boat: 32 feet of love

virtualbox is a very good alternative to dual-boot installations if you need/want both windows and linux.

virtualization is the only choice if you want both at the same time.
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind