Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 06:30   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Windows 7 XP Emulation Mode

I own a NERA Fleet 33 Satellite phone that works perfectly (replacement cost $7500). It utilizes a computer interface software called NERA VT Lite Mobile (for e-mail and internet connection. Slow but fairly reliable). NERA has exited the sat phone business and is not updating the software to operate on Windows 7. Old XP program (works perfectly on old XP machine) will not function on Windows 7 (computer is not recognizing the USB input from the sat phone). I have tried running VT Lite in "compatibility mode". Nothing. Old XP driver has .INF extension. Do you think I could upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional with XP emulation mode and get the sat phone interface to work? Will a serial type interface like a sat phone function in the XP emulation mode? Will the computer recognize a driver with a .inf suffix in the XP emulation mode?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:53   #2

I think it will solve your problem. Others may be able to explain fully how it works. I only know that I have Win 7 Pro on a machine to be able to run some legacy software that ran on Win XP, and it performs well with Win 7 Pro.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 07:38   #3
cruiser

if not, you can create dual operating system, i.e. dual boot, so when your computer boots up, it asks/prompts you for which OS you want to boot into...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:00   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
or just contact the manufacture if there is a win 7 driver.had the same situation wit a inmarsat fleet system but the skipper downgraded his os to xp an i reinstalled the driver and it worked.
Old 21-01-2011, 08:12   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35 "Rubicon"
I would be very surprised if it doesn't work in XP virtual mode in Windows 7, it's like getting a new XP PC right out of the box. I've had to use it for several applications that would not run under Windows 7, and they ran fine under XP virtual mode. It's basically a separate XP machine, it's much different than trying to run it under XP compatibility mode.
garymcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:07   #6
cruiser

but, althogh it is like a seperate machine some software still has hardware requiremnts, and xp virtual still has to use current hardware...

there is a possibility that it wont work...but dual boot is still the best suggestion to determine if it is a hardware thing or not...
Old 21-01-2011, 11:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
but, althogh it is like a seperate machine some software still has hardware requiremnts, and xp virtual still has to use current hardware...

there is a possibility that it wont work...but dual boot is still the best suggestion to determine if it is a hardware thing or not...
Are you saying that dual boot DOESN'T have to use current hardware? Does it magically use hardware from a different machine other than what it's installed on?? Dual boot and XP virtual would both use the same hardware, if software will run on XP on a dual boot machine it will run under XP virtual mode in Windows 7 on the same machine.
Old 21-01-2011, 11:38   #8
cruiser

no, what i said was that THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT IT WONT WORK. but, rather then virutal XP, you can have the real deal and avoid any other questions...

Please re read my message you quoted to find the words i bolded for ye,..
Old 21-01-2011, 12:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
no, what i said was that THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT IT WONT WORK. but, rather then virutal XP, you can have the real deal and avoid any other questions...

Please re read my message you quoted to find the words i bolded for ye,..
If there's a possibility that it won't work under virtual mode, the same possibility exists under dual boot. The difference is that if it doesn't work under dual boot, you've just purchased a second operating system for nothing.

To the original poster: Yes, windows xp virtual mode in Windows 7 Pro will work if your software works under XP. I have done extensive testing of software that uses an RS232 port that won't communicate under Windows 7 but works fine in XP virtual mode, which is for all intents and purposes exactly the same as dual boot without the addtional expense, and without the hassle of having to go into the BIOS and change the SATA mode every time you want to switch the OS on a newish laptop that has RAID or AHCI enabled out of the box in order to use Intel rapid recovery or similar technologies.
Old 21-01-2011, 12:39   #10

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Stay tuned as Windows 8 and Exployer 9 should be released this year. There has been an attempt to stop support of XP, but there were to many complaints.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 12:48   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For a dual boot machine to work, you install XP first, partition the drive during the installation process and then install Win7 in the other partition. It's easier than it sounds. No need to wait for the newer OS's to come out, you can always install those later after the bugs are gone, the first service pack becomes available, newly found security holes are patched and the missing drivers become available.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:33   #12
cruiser

i disagree that it is the same to use a virtual xp vs a dual boot or an xp machine..

vurtual has a layer of drivers that trabnslate and interpret and asign code to make things work JUST LIKE XP... but, if it dont work, it could be any nuymber of reason, including the layers created in virtual world...

and i doubt win8 will be released this year... two years maybe, but not this year..
Old 26-01-2011, 08:42   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
XP in Windows 7 is a virtual setup. The alternative is a dual boot setup. Both would work.

Windows XP Mode - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 09:12   #14
cruiser

im thinking that win7 has compatibility mode... that doesnt work for everything, so how can virutal xp be exactly the same as a dual boot or dedicated xp machine

there has to be some type of layer involved in virtual that may or may not work when compared to dedicated/dual boot