Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-02-2016, 10:54   #121

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

no one seems to have mentioned...

1/ The choice of OS should be consistent with the software you need or desire to use.
2/ And what OS you are able to maintain, even repair yourself.

As it relates for example to myself

I need Outlook for work, as appointments within the calendar are a shared resource. Now I can do that with Mac (although somewhat more expensively) or I can add the complexity of an emulator.

And I am quite certain I can repair rebuild or restore a windows box as I have been working with them since 3.1.

Choose wisely, it is all too easy to burn money on what turns out to be a bad choice. Im not trying to dissuade from Mac or Linux, for instance I feel they are both more robust systems than windows, and I am interested in other systems as I would like at least one better secured system and I happen to have an old Mac Mirrordoor G4 handy (that I never understood), ripe for trying out Linux Mint.

But the potential is you are going to be alone with this thing at some point, possibly a 1000 miles from any conceivable help, so I guess I'm saying let your nature be your guide.

Old 27-02-2016, 13:41   #122

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Linux has a wonderful habit of staying unbroken once installed and configured. Not poking fun at Windows or anything, but this could be considered somewhat of a foreign concept to a lot of windows users. Even my own Windows 10 pc that automatically upgraded from Windows 7 has broken all its my documents, my pictures etc folders so I can't view or save to them. And it's not a simple security setting issue either.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 27-02-2016, 14:33   #123

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Neither.

I switched to Ubuntu a couple of years ago and never looked back.

Ubuntu is just one of the popular mainstream Linux distributions, but I like it so I haven't really checked out other distributions recently.

I do have to work with Windows every now and again, which usually results in a serious case of TRA (Technology Related Anger) within half an hour
+1 for ubuntu. I've been running dual boot ubuntu and winxp, vista, 7 and 8 for more than 10 years now.

Windows 7 and 8 are far more stable than vista or xp. That being said Ubuntu is far more stable and is not the resource hog that windows is. Win 8 and i suspect win10 have dropped support for a lot of older drivers. You'll need to ensure you have local copies of important drivers.

Good to see some positives on win10. If you dont disable, cripple or turn off everything not required then it will be the biggest wifi hog ever.

Is anyone running airmail, opencpn and other sailing workloads on win10?

We avoid Apple products like the plague. Good hardware and its well integrated with Osx of course. *nix terminal is great but we dont want to be locked into the apple world.

Macs are much buggier these days and dont work well with enterprise byod and mdm integrations. As client machines they are fine but expensive. (15 years using macs, win and linux side by side in tech industry).

We run open source software predominantly. Gimp, inkscape, software dev tools, engineering analysis tools, etc. The only proprietary software we run is 3D CAD and video editing because there are no viable open source options.

As to linux mint. That uses a lot of deprecated library versions and is now severely compromised. I would get rid of it completely.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-02-2016, 14:50   #124

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Blender and kdenlive aren't bad video editing packages. Mint was originally intended as a lightweight XP replacement so still remains a good choice for older hardware. Ubuntu is a popular choice for newcomers looking at crossgrading from Windows 10.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-02-2016, 17:04   #125

Boat: Caliber 38

I upgraded a laptop from Win 7 to 8 (big big mistake) then to 10 which I love. The computer which used to crash several times a day became stable again. Magic. All the problems (Blue screen) went away. I have found Win 10 very stable and extremely fast to boot up.
Only Vista is worth than Win 8.
Old 28-02-2016, 16:49   #126
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well, I needed to get a functioning laptop asap so I could keep working so ordered a new laptop with Win 10. Could not get everything I wanted at even a semi reasonable price and get Win 10 Pro so got a machine with Home and will upgrade to Pro.

BUT!!!!!!!!!

I will take the old laptop, do a couple of repairs to get it functional and start playing with Linux. Win10 I don't hate and after a day I'm finding where MS hid moved all the apps and tools I use but getting around the various traps that try to force one into the exclusive, MS world have gotten more annoying and more hassle to deal with in every version and update. Time to bail.
There is a dedicated Linux distribution that comes with Opencpn already installed and ready to use. - You can even boot directly from a USB thumb drive and run the system blistering fast from RAM. No installation is required and nothing on your existing windows installation will be changed so you can test the system without changing your existing system.

Can be downloaded from here: Marinux Website and it has it's own thread at the Opencpn forum here: XINUTOP Portable OS Linux Marine Updated
Old 27-03-2016, 01:20   #127

I switched to Win 10 once the upgrade was available. However, rolled back to win 7 a week later as there are a lot of software compatibility issues with win 10, such as Auto CAD
Old 27-03-2016, 01:23   #128

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

There is a reason Governments and Universities don't jump on new releases!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-04-2016, 02:20   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
Secure is the first concern for them. Some of the lab is still using XP as the main OS, lol
Old 06-04-2016, 22:22   #130

Boat: Cascade 29
Send a message via Skype™ to windwalkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Typically it is due to compatibility, support, and legacy overhead which prevents most companies and governments from upgrading. They also lag updates. But then again, That is why companies and governments are so deliciously hackable.
Old 06-04-2016, 22:41   #131
Senior Cruiser

Greetings. Has anyone posted about the sharing of wifi passwords with your contacts with Windows 10 ?

The linked article explains it and the website is just the about the best on internet security, hackers, identity theft, and more.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/w...with-contacts/
Old 07-04-2016, 06:55   #132

My desktop, notebook and even Emachines netbook have been upgrades from Vista, W8 and ( netbook) W7 to W10 with no problems. It's fast and works well. The option for tiles, if you want them, is there but I don't like nor use that mode.

The search box for anything on or off computer is easy, fantastic and fast.

Recommended.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:09   #133

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcruiser View Post

The search box for anything on or off computer is easy, fantastic and fast.

Recommended.
I agree BUT on my Surface Pro supplied with Windows 10 the search crashes about once a week and slows the whole m/c down badly. The solution using POWERSHELL and re booting seems to sort it out till the next time

Tags
wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: