Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-02-2016, 07:09   #106

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

It's just not Macs turn yet. I had a Mac Performa back in the day. I almost went bald tearing my hair out with that one. It's the reason I went PC. Good thing there were almost no Forums back then!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 13:00   #107

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

For those attracted to the Mac OS X design, take a look at Elementary OS. It looks similar to a Mac desktop but with the goodness of Linux, and is very fast if you are looking to rejuvenate an old laptop...

Greg

Old 24-02-2016, 13:45   #108

I haven't added any serious productivity software in ages. I was / am cool with MS Office 2003 (hahaha) which does all the stuff I need to for work... etc.

I use a CAD program which also has seen many expensive upgrades with all sorts of bells and whistles I don't know, miss or seem to need for the work I do. I can't even exploit the power of the old version am using of VectorWorks. Why upgrade for $$$$?

Then there are things like AdobeAcrobat Pro... and FF browser which seems to grow in size and do not much for it.

Why even upgrade? Product support? None to speak of and none rarely if ever needed.

Obviously I am not a power user... but I work on the PC all day and shop, view YTs, Skype and so on... all just fine with Win7Pro.

Why are we told to upgrade again? I forgot....
Old 24-02-2016, 14:16   #109

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Classic, well done!!!

Can just imagine what it'll ask you if you started with going to the doctor!!!
Your right! I think he nailed it.
Old 26-02-2016, 16:56   #110

Skipmac- As mentioned earlier I am a fan of Linux, which will run OpenCPN according to their website. But if the items you outline are your only points of interest perhaps a mobile notebook such as an Android device might meet your needs. Most new mobile devices have adequate storage capacity. A cost comparison will likely give you the answer you are looking for.
Old 27-02-2016, 05:14   #111

Can someone please explain WHY you NEED to upgrade your OS?

Obviously you want a user friendly interface / file management system.

You want an OS that can run your productivity software without crashing.

And I suppose you want one that can run your entertainment software as well without hitches.

You want a good evel of protection from malware etc (from the www no?)

And of course drive your printer.

How does Win10 help with the above? Or are these things I am not aware of...
Old 27-02-2016, 05:43   #112

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

In the current moment, between 7 and 10 there is no need to upgrade. As new hardware comes online, lack of drivers and compatibility with an "obsolete" OS may make an upgrade mandatory.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-02-2016, 07:18   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Take it from a supervisor of the tech department. Windows 10 is fine on a new PC, but never upgrade from an old OS to win 10.
I have upgraded 3 computers to Win 10 with only one very minor problem on an older Del laptop.

Small laptop came with Win 8, went to 8.1 and then 10 early in the "Insider's Program". It was okay but lots of updates and changes to get used to after each update. It has settled down quite a bit and I have set it so it updates late in the cycle.

Win 7 Pro Desktop - I have had absolutely no problems with this system. Runs well, maybe slightly faster. Win 10 is a little more intrusive than 7 but not bad. There is a learning curve but 10 can be used almost as a Win 7 system. Big bitch - F***d up Free Cell.

Older Del Laptop that came with Vista, was upgraded to Win 7 home - one minor problem with a driver. I deleted the item in hardware manager and when it reinstalled it has been running okay. Since the beginning of 16 Win 10 has been solid and I'm quite happy with it.
Old 27-02-2016, 07:37   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Can someone please explain WHY you NEED to upgrade your OS?
I usually run Linux. For the last some years, Linux Mint.

One of the odd little programs I run on Linux is Pithos, which is a Pandora client for Linux. A couple of months ago, Pithos stopped working, because of changes that Pandora made to their protocol.

Not a problem, just upgrade Pithos to its most recent version. Problem? It'd been so long since I last upgraded my Linux OS the software repositories that backed its auto-software install had been shut down. I had the choice between downloading the source and building it myself, and likely facing the same problem with whatever build tools it needed, or upgrading to a more recent OS.

Upgrading was the clear choice.
Old 27-02-2016, 07:43   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have upgraded 3 computers to Win 10 with only one very minor problem on an older Del laptop.
I upgraded my WIn7 virtual to Win10 without any problems whatsoever.

Of course, I made a copy of the virtual harddrive before I started, so I felt no qualms about engaging in the experiment.

If you don't have an easy and reliable* mechanism for doing backups and restores, before you do an OS upgrade, you deserve what's going to happen to you.

*"reliable" means that you've not only tested your backup method, but that you've tested your restore method. If you've never restored your complete system onto a bare drive, you don't have a backup system, you have a vague hope.
Old 27-02-2016, 08:20   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I usually run Linux. For the last some years, Linux Mint.

One of the odd little programs I run on Linux is Pithos, which is a Pandora client for Linux. A couple of months ago, Pithos stopped working, because of changes that Pandora made to their protocol.

Not a problem, just upgrade Pithos to its most recent version. Problem? It'd been so long since I last upgraded my Linux OS the software repositories that backed its auto-software install had been shut down. I had the choice between downloading the source and building it myself, and likely facing the same problem with whatever build tools it needed, or upgrading to a more recent OS.

Upgrading was the clear choice.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I suppose if my rarely used printers broke... and the new are no longer supported by win7Pro would would be SOL without a driver etc to print.

This all seems to be a way for the tech world to get people on the endless path of buying new and getting very little benefit. What will the new printer do that the old one doesn't.. print faster? I don't really need that.

I had some handy "utility" programs... which don't run on even Win7... left in the dust. An OS upgrade will not bring them back. The one which was very handy was called IIRC Quickeys which allowed you to automate almost anything... like typing your address or inserting today's date and so on.... with one key stroke. I miss that. If anyone knows of a win7 utility for this sort of thing.... please share it.

Thank you!
Old 27-02-2016, 08:59   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
That was my bitch also. If they had to change or add anything, simply add touch screen capabilities to XP and call it the grandpa patch. My life has been hell since! I hate my 10 but I hated 8.whatever more. At work (rewtired 2 weeks ago) we had Win7 and I could navigate around it well.
I'll make a prediction here...In 5 years time, MS will come full circle and bring out Win 15.6 which will be XP with makeup...you watch!
99% of life (aviation being one notable exception) does quite well working on the philosophy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Obviously MS doesn't follow that process.

I'm not a programmer so maybe there was some underlying OS code that could not work with new hardware, software, security or something else but seems like the OS could be fixed without all the "improvements". Everytime MS changes the look and feel of Windows I see no improvement, just different. See nothing that makes it easier to use or more intuitive, just some compulsion to change the user interface. My guess is MS does it to make the user feel like they really got something for their money with the new OS.

Did you ever notice the MS is just SM backwards. Coincidence?
Old 27-02-2016, 09:03   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
Skipmac- As mentioned earlier I am a fan of Linux, which will run OpenCPN according to their website. But if the items you outline are your only points of interest perhaps a mobile notebook such as an Android device might meet your needs. Most new mobile devices have adequate storage capacity. A cost comparison will likely give you the answer you are looking for.
Have other devices but for the majority of my use I really like having a real computer with a real, full size keyboard with actual keys that I can touch type and a screen large enough I don't have to search the house for one of the 4,000 pairs of cheap reading glasses that are here somewhere but I can never find.

Tablets and pads are OK for less intensive use and I have an iPad (which by the way absolutely does not work with some web sites). Like my Android but if I get a model any larger it won't fit in my pocket and I'm back to carrying it around like a tablet.
Old 27-02-2016, 09:13   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Talk is cheap. You have no idea what "registry hacks" they have done, and even if you did, they'd have to recheck them every time they connected to the internet, to see if Microsoft has undone any of them.

Computers used to be a tool, like a hammer. If it was a 2016 Microsoft Hammer, it would have a microphone to listen to you, a video camera to look at you, a GPS to identify your location, and it would connect to the internet and send info about what, where, and how you are hammering to Microsoft. Then they would make the hammer go limp if you swung at anything but a microsoft nail. and if you want to use your hammer to demo a concrete wall, well, that's an upgrade, pay up or it won't work.

You shouldn't have to hack the registry to get your computer to work as a tool. You shouldn't have to connect to the internet, put in your credit card, to use a computer. If you want to write a program, you shouldn't have to pay microsoft to be able to run it without all kinds of warnings and errors.

So yeah, I could hack my windows, and I can check it every time it connects to the internet, and I can put a firewall in to monitor what it tries to connect to, but I shouldn't have to! You really can't relate if you are still in the 1st world and have broadband internet. When you go off the grid, the delays and timeouts while the SOB tries to phone home is maddening. Yeah, you can turn on metered connections... but you have to remember to do it EVERY FRIGGIN TIME YOU CONNECT TO A NEW NETWORK!

Just wait until you're trying to get some critical info and you have to wait minutes while the ads load, taking precedence over the info you're trying to get. I can't tell you how many times I've opened at app on my iphone and gotten an ad, but then it just times out trying to download weather.

Just wait until you guys get driverless cars. "Take me to Ace Hardware" "Ok, we're off." "Are you sure you want to go to Ace Hardware? There is a home depot 3.4 miles away?" "No, go to ace hardware" "It's taco tuesday, how about stopping at taco bell for 3 tacos for $2?" "No, go to ace hardware". "It's almost time for an oil change, how about we stop by the google car dealer for service and updates?" "No, go to ace hardware" "Are you feeling bloated? Do you pee a lot? You should ask your doctor about Relaxofil. May cause bloody stool, slurred speach, stroke or heart attack. Do not take if you are taking Flexomil, Asterfunk, or any beta kappa inhibitor. Would you like to go to your doctor's office?"
Extremely, outrageously funny but in a sad, scary, too close to the truth kind of way.
Old 27-02-2016, 09:19   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I needed to get a functioning laptop asap so I could keep working so ordered a new laptop with Win 10. Could not get everything I wanted at even a semi reasonable price and get Win 10 Pro so got a machine with Home and will upgrade to Pro.

BUT!!!!!!!!!

I will take the old laptop, do a couple of repairs to get it functional and start playing with Linux. Win10 I don't hate and after a day I'm finding where MS hid moved all the apps and tools I use but getting around the various traps that try to force one into the exclusive, MS world have gotten more annoying and more hassle to deal with in every version and update. Time to bail.

Tags
wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: