Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2016, 18:43   #91

Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
SNIP>>>

Just wait until you guys get driverless cars. "Take me to Ace Hardware" "Ok, we're off." "Are you sure you want to go to Ace Hardware? There is a home depot 3.4 miles away?" "No, go to ace hardware" "It's taco tuesday, how about stopping at taco bell for 3 tacos for $2?" "No, go to ace hardware". "It's almost time for an oil change, how about we stop by the google car dealer for service and updates?" "No, go to ace hardware" "Are you feeling bloated? Do you pee a lot? You should ask your doctor about Relaxofil. May cause bloody stool, slurred speach, stroke or heart attack. Do not take if you are taking Flexomil, Asterfunk, or any beta kappa inhibitor. Would you like to go to your doctor's office?"
Classic, well done!!!

Can just imagine what it'll ask you if you started with going to the doctor!!!

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 19:06   #92

Take it from a supervisor of the tech department. Windows 10 is fine on a new PC, but never upgrade from an old OS to win 10.

Old 23-02-2016, 19:13   #93

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Just wait until you guys get driverless cars. "Take me to Ace Hardware" "Ok, we're off." "Are you sure you want to go to Ace Hardware? There is a home depot 3.4 miles away?" "No, go to ace hardware" "It's taco tuesday, how about stopping at taco bell for 3 tacos for $2?" "No, go to ace hardware". "It's almost time for an oil change, how about we stop by the google car dealer for service and updates?" "No, go to ace hardware" "Are you feeling bloated? Do you pee a lot? You should ask your doctor about Relaxofil. May cause bloody stool, slurred speach, stroke or heart attack. Do not take if you are taking Flexomil, Asterfunk, or any beta kappa inhibitor. Would you like to go to your doctor's office?"
Hahahahaha!! I bow to you, for you are Root of Humor

Hope we'll be able to buy Linux cars by then. I'll be on my way back from Ace Hardware while the Win cars are still parked and negotiating
Old 23-02-2016, 20:19   #94

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Skipmac, Please please please give linux a try.

For an ex-windows user the best version is Linux Mint 17.3

Burn the CD boot from it and try it out. From what you said about your use you will never look back.
Its all free, and the trial will let you get the feel of it, I reckon in 2 minutes you will get the linux feeling.

I will never go back to the dark side...

Oh and get an SSD in your new laptop, or the old one, it will outlast any rotating media especially on a boat that moves...
Old 23-02-2016, 20:25   #95

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I thought XP was a great OS. Nothing was broke so howcome MS had to "fix" it? All my programs did what I wanted, never crashed and wasn't a huge resource hog. But the laptop died and I had to get a new one with Win7 which of course I could not get to connect to my desktop server, networked printer or anything else. $%#%@!!!
That was my bitch also. If they had to change or add anything, simply add touch screen capabilities to XP and call it the grandpa patch. My life has been hell since! I hate my 10 but I hated 8.whatever more. At work (rewtired 2 weeks ago) we had Win7 and I could navigate around it well.
I'll make a prediction here...In 5 years time, MS will come full circle and bring out Win 15.6 which will be XP with makeup...you watch!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 20:33   #96

Quote:
Talk is cheap. You have no idea what "registry hacks" they have done, and even if you did, they'd have to recheck them every time they connected to the internet, to see if Microsoft has undone any of them.

Computers used to be a tool, like a hammer. If it was a 2016 Microsoft Hammer, it would have a microphone to listen to you, a video camera to look at you, a GPS to identify your location, and it would connect to the internet and send info about what, where, and how you are hammering to Microsoft. Then they would make the hammer go limp if you swung at anything but a microsoft nail. and if you want to use your hammer to demo a concrete wall, well, that's an upgrade, pay up or it won't work.

You shouldn't have to hack the registry to get your computer to work as a tool. You shouldn't have to connect to the internet, put in your credit card, to use a computer. If you want to write a program, you shouldn't have to pay microsoft to be able to run it without all kinds of warnings and errors.

So yeah, I could hack my windows, and I can check it every time it connects to the internet, and I can put a firewall in to monitor what it tries to connect to, but I shouldn't have to! You really can't relate if you are still in the 1st world and have broadband internet. When you go off the grid, the delays and timeouts while the SOB tries to phone home is maddening. Yeah, you can turn on metered connections... but you have to remember to do it EVERY FRIGGIN TIME YOU CONNECT TO A NEW NETWORK!

Just wait until you're trying to get some critical info and you have to wait minutes while the ads load, taking precedence over the info you're trying to get. I can't tell you how many times I've opened at app on my iphone and gotten an ad, but then it just times out trying to download weather.

Oh man!!! this is a keeper...truly priceless. Great post!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 23-02-2016, 20:40   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post

Oh and get an SSD in your new laptop, or the old one, it will outlast any rotating media especially on a boat that moves...
That's what I did. A Toshiba click2 with SSD. It uses almost no power. I use to have my once energy efficient, Dell 1505 with XP on board. When I would go to charge it up, I would what for high noon to maximize the solar panel for it.

Old 23-02-2016, 21:13   #98

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Skipmac-

If you decide to stay with Windows then I have 2 recommendations for you: 1st, buy a laptop with an SSD or install one immediately (either way worth every penny) and 2nd, load Mint on your old computer after transferring your data to the new one. If you give it a try it is quite likely you will want to load Mint onto the new box...

Greg
Old 23-02-2016, 21:31   #99

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
For an ex-windows user the best version is Linux Mint 17.3
That is like saying anchor XYZ is the best anchor

Mint is a very good option - but you can't decide what's "the best" for someone else, as it largely depends on personal preferences.

(And we all know Ubuntu is a much better choice anyway )

Old 23-02-2016, 21:53   #100

Skipmac-You have many fine replies so this may not be of much help to you. But, I would add my support to trying out a version of Linux. It is free, easy to use, with updates that cost nothing. I've been using Ubuntu for numerous years, and prefer it to anything MS puts out. Due to certain software preferences I've been forced to use a version of Windows. Until last year that was XP. Bought a new laptop that had Windows 7 installed. I ran Ubuntu alongside Windows 7, but MS likes to make life miserable for other operating systems. I constantly receive messages to upgrade to 10 and it likes to try and kill my Ubuntu. If you are running just navigation software check to make sure the software is compatible with whichever OS you choose.
Old 23-02-2016, 22:08   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>

I constantly receive messages to upgrade to 10 ..................
Good advice in your post. Suggest you might consider checking reply #18, too.

I've also been turning windows update off through Task Manager, too. PITA but reduces memory use significantly. PITA but only three clicks away in W7 Home Premium.

Thanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 22:43   #102

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Talk is cheap. You have no idea what "registry hacks" they have done, and even if you did, they'd have to recheck them every time they connected to the internet, to see if Microsoft has undone any of them.

Computers used to be a tool, like a hammer. If it was a 2016 Microsoft Hammer, it would have a microphone to listen to you, a video camera to look at you, a GPS to identify your location, and it would connect to the internet and send info about what, where, and how you are hammering to Microsoft. Then they would make the hammer go limp if you swung at anything but a microsoft nail. and if you want to use your hammer to demo a concrete wall, well, that's an upgrade, pay up or it won't work.

You shouldn't have to hack the registry to get your computer to work as a tool. You shouldn't have to connect to the internet, put in your credit card, to use a computer. If you want to write a program, you shouldn't have to pay microsoft to be able to run it without all kinds of warnings and errors.

So yeah, I could hack my windows, and I can check it every time it connects to the internet, and I can put a firewall in to monitor what it tries to connect to, but I shouldn't have to! You really can't relate if you are still in the 1st world and have broadband internet. When you go off the grid, the delays and timeouts while the SOB tries to phone home is maddening. Yeah, you can turn on metered connections... but you have to remember to do it EVERY FRIGGIN TIME YOU CONNECT TO A NEW NETWORK!

Just wait until you're trying to get some critical info and you have to wait minutes while the ads load, taking precedence over the info you're trying to get. I can't tell you how many times I've opened at app on my iphone and gotten an ad, but then it just times out trying to download weather.

Wooohoo! Atta boy! Think I struck a nerve here...? Your right, I don't know which hacks they are using but they are stable and useful for the purpose intended....if they were not, they would stop using the OS..they don't fool around.. Noo whining either. The point is they make it function as THEY choose. I think that's admirable. It seems that an education is a wonderful thing. I am sure that most unwanted behavior of a MSFT OS can be fixed. Sure, the business model is now extractive where previously it was just opaque due to complexity. Choose your OS! None are devoid of faults, or limits, same with boats and people.
Old 24-02-2016, 03:15   #103

I asked my wife to get me the news paper , she said "here use my laptop". That spider had no idea what hit it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 04:14   #104

Boat: Tiara Open 36

As a long time Mac user I can hardly believe this discussion. Nothing's perfect, but I've found Apple to be good for working on the work - instead of working on the tool. The OP commented that if he went to Mac he'd loose his friends' tech support. That's true, but thank goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-02-2016, 04:16   #105

Send a message via Skype™ to aguenther

How right you are. Thank god, there is a Mac and OSX!!!

Tags
wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: