Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-02-2016, 20:18   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

My 1st windows was version 2. 7 was the best I ever had. I never tried 8. I upgraded my base computer from 7 to 10 and it was the easiest upgrade ever. However, it doesn't like old software programs that ran fine on 7. Some had to be reloaded, some crash, some still don't run. Including Microsoft software. There is a problem with the virtual memory causing constant near 100% cpu use. I had to run w/o a paging file. I'm not alone with this problem.

Old 22-02-2016, 20:41   #77

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Windows 7-10 suck, coming from a formet MS partner. They've got so much phone home crap built in to the OS now, that when you get to the land of no internet/slow internet, you will be waiting... and waiting...

I've finally had it and am transitioning to Linux. Navigatrix is a great starting spot, comes with all kinds of cruising related apps pre-installed.

A recent example of how Windows pisses me off: I was in El Cid Mazatlan and they have a draconian wifi setup that only allows one mac address on per day. I was using a alfa wifi usb because the ubiquiti was blocked from connecting. I ended up pulling the usb port out of the alfa, rendering it inop. So I figured I'd change the mac address of my PC to the mac of the alfa and continue to use it, but noooo, microsoft doesn't allow this! Linux does!

If you're not careful, a Windows computer on your network will smoke your data plan, or saturate your wifi connection with updates.

Computers are meant to be tools for people, not ad/spy platforms for big corporations.

Old 22-02-2016, 20:50   #78

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

For those who are on 7 or 8, even if you tell M$ no to upgrading to 10 it often downloads the entire system in the background, just so it is ready when you finally give in. I found a 5.7GB folder that had been downloaded without permission in the background. I had been suspicious about the high data usage, but this is just obscene. To get rid of it and block the upgrade nonsense install the GWX control panel. Or just install Mint...

Greg
Old 22-02-2016, 21:19   #79

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Well I'm still sticking to MS Win10 if for no other reason than I don't know WTF most of you lot are talking about with Linux, Ubuntu Mint et al, Virtual this that and the other. I'm just a simpleton user that buys a machine to work right out of the box, is user friendly and runs the programs I have or that I want to use and with the hardware that I already have, like printer scanner, GPS puck etc. maybe my generation should have been better educated in IT instead of just getting on with our jobs and businesses, with a computer as a means to an end not an end in itself

Robin 3 ( old Dinosaur)
Jurassic park
Old 22-02-2016, 21:56   #80

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Hey Skip...you're going to start a war here....
I figure we're around the same age and change gets a little tougher. I recently bought a Toshiba solid state drive laptop for the boat. Came with window 8.whatever. Crap! On my old Dell I had XP pro. I didn't know how good I had it until 8. No choice but to switch to 10. If they made XP with touch screen I would have been happy. I just struggle to find anything on 10. You have to go through twice the layers to find anything.
I actually sent the laptop to my friend over Christmas, just to get OpnCPN going. Now, I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to get my AIS 1) working and 2) over-lay on my OpnCPN. I'm going to have to find a 14 yr. old geek to show me what I can safely eliminate.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 23:11   #81

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Why dont you go for a safe solution?
1. Install linux Mint KDE and play around with it. If you have anything to compile or fiddle with let me know as I didnt find any.
2. Install Vbox which gives you a virtual machine in which you can run whatever you want. You could have 1 with win 3.11 one with win 7 one with win 10 or what ever. If the windows is going bad (which is to expect after a while) delete the VM make a new one.

BUT at least you have a foundation on your computer that is hard to destroy - and you pay nothing for it.
Old 22-02-2016, 23:24   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
My 1st windows was version 2. 7 was the best I ever had. I never tried 8. I upgraded my base computer from 7 to 10 and it was the easiest upgrade ever. However, it doesn't like old software programs that ran fine on 7. Some had to be reloaded, some crash, some still don't run. Including Microsoft software. There is a problem with the virtual memory causing constant near 100% cpu use. I had to run w/o a paging file. I'm not alone with this problem.
And any of this is GOOD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
For those who are on 7 or 8, even if you tell M$ no to upgrading to 10 it often downloads the entire system in the background, just so it is ready when you finally give in. I found a 5.7GB folder that had been downloaded without permission in the background. I had been suspicious about the high data usage, but this is just obscene. To get rid of it and block the upgrade nonsense install the GWX control panel. Or just install Mint...

Greg
Greg, try reply #18 again. It may not stop the downloads, ti should, 'cuz it's on W7, but it sure stops the prompts.

From even just this thread, W7 and 8 are sooo different, W10 moreso.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 23:46   #83

Boat: Rafiki 37

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. I would not recommend using it.

As to stopping automatic downloads with Windows 10 if you set your internet connection as metered it won't automatically download updates. Google it or go to the link below:
How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates
Old 23-02-2016, 02:42   #84

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. I would not recommend using it.

As to stopping automatic downloads with Windows 10 if you set your internet connection as metered it won't automatically download updates. Google it or go to the link below:
How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates
If by "not supported" you mean you can't ring up MS and ask how to drag and drop a text file into notepad then that is true. If it's all important security updates, then these will be issued until 2020 (at least - look what happened with XP security updates).

Also, completely disabling all Windows 10 updates over a metered connection makes configuring Linux look like a walk in the park.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-02-2016, 06:38   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hey Skip...you're going to start a war here....
Who woulda thunk. A simple computer question and we're up to six pages.

Quote:
I figure we're around the same age and change gets a little tougher.
Had no idea you were such an old guy.

Quote:
I recently bought a Toshiba solid state drive laptop for the boat. Came with window 8.whatever. Crap! On my old Dell I had XP pro. I didn't know how good I had it until 8. No choice but to switch to 10. If they made XP with touch screen I would have been happy. I just struggle to find anything on 10. You have to go through twice the layers to find anything.
I actually sent the laptop to my friend over Christmas, just to get OpnCPN going. Now, I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to get my AIS 1) working and 2) over-lay on my OpnCPN. I'm going to have to find a 14 yr. old geek to show me what I can safely eliminate.
I thought XP was a great OS. Nothing was broke so howcome MS had to "fix" it? All my programs did what I wanted, never crashed and wasn't a huge resource hog. But the laptop died and I had to get a new one with Win7 which of course I could not get to connect to my desktop server, networked printer or anything else. $%#%@!!!

One would think that the first thing MS would consider with a new OS is making it work with the millions of existing Windows PCs out there but nooooooooo.

One good thing about this thread. I have finally decided it's time to put a little effort into Linux. Seeing more fans of Mint and more criticism of Ubuntu so will probably go that way unless one of the experts suggests otherwise.
Old 23-02-2016, 08:33   #86

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Not really sure why so many older adult human beings have so much difficulty with computers. We all know teenagers that would not be allowed away from the dock alone who can persuade anything digital to do the fancy tricks of their choice. My kids machines run on registry hacks and bear little resemblance to stock..even the phones are rooted. Perhaps we should look into the psychology of ageing to solve most computer problems in the cruising community?
Old 23-02-2016, 17:33   #87

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Not really sure why so many older adult human beings have so much difficulty with computers. We all know teenagers that would not be allowed away from the dock alone who can persuade anything digital to do the fancy tricks of their choice. My kids machines run on registry hacks and bear little resemblance to stock..even the phones are rooted. Perhaps we should look into the psychology of ageing to solve most computer problems in the cruising community?
Talk is cheap. You have no idea what "registry hacks" they have done, and even if you did, they'd have to recheck them every time they connected to the internet, to see if Microsoft has undone any of them.

Computers used to be a tool, like a hammer. If it was a 2016 Microsoft Hammer, it would have a microphone to listen to you, a video camera to look at you, a GPS to identify your location, and it would connect to the internet and send info about what, where, and how you are hammering to Microsoft. Then they would make the hammer go limp if you swung at anything but a microsoft nail. and if you want to use your hammer to demo a concrete wall, well, that's an upgrade, pay up or it won't work.

You shouldn't have to hack the registry to get your computer to work as a tool. You shouldn't have to connect to the internet, put in your credit card, to use a computer. If you want to write a program, you shouldn't have to pay microsoft to be able to run it without all kinds of warnings and errors.

So yeah, I could hack my windows, and I can check it every time it connects to the internet, and I can put a firewall in to monitor what it tries to connect to, but I shouldn't have to! You really can't relate if you are still in the 1st world and have broadband internet. When you go off the grid, the delays and timeouts while the SOB tries to phone home is maddening. Yeah, you can turn on metered connections... but you have to remember to do it EVERY FRIGGIN TIME YOU CONNECT TO A NEW NETWORK!

Just wait until you're trying to get some critical info and you have to wait minutes while the ads load, taking precedence over the info you're trying to get. I can't tell you how many times I've opened at app on my iphone and gotten an ad, but then it just times out trying to download weather.

Just wait until you guys get driverless cars. "Take me to Ace Hardware" "Ok, we're off." "Are you sure you want to go to Ace Hardware? There is a home depot 3.4 miles away?" "No, go to ace hardware" "It's taco tuesday, how about stopping at taco bell for 3 tacos for $2?" "No, go to ace hardware". "It's almost time for an oil change, how about we stop by the google car dealer for service and updates?" "No, go to ace hardware" "Are you feeling bloated? Do you pee a lot? You should ask your doctor about Relaxofil. May cause bloody stool, slurred speach, stroke or heart attack. Do not take if you are taking Flexomil, Asterfunk, or any beta kappa inhibitor. Would you like to go to your doctor's office?"
Old 23-02-2016, 17:46   #88

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I do think it's time for me to bite the bullet and start looking at some version of Linux. Ubuntu seems to be the current favorite. Maybe I'll take my old Win7 PC and play with that, after I get a new machine.
YESSS!!

There are quite a few distros to choose from. I like Ubuntu best, and Mint (which is based off of Ubuntu) is pretty popular too. There's a distro for everyone
Old 23-02-2016, 18:31   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan4100, now MS34 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Not really sure why so many older adult human beings have so much difficulty with computers
Hey, give us a break! We're the guys who built this entire digital circus, connecting to a BBS with phone acoustic couplers, and thought an 8" floppy was great when you could finally write on both sides.

I too will soon abandon MS, or realize MS abandoned me.
Old 23-02-2016, 18:40   #90

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Hey, give us a break! We're the guys who built this entire digital circus, connecting to a BBS with phone acoustic couplers, and thought an 8" floppy was great when you could finally write on both sides.
I'm still celebrating not having to enter the boot code on toggle switches...

[Edit: which then loads the punched paper tape...]

Greg

Tags
wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: