Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 11:02   #46

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

The MacBook Air starts at about $400 from Amazon. The very high end is about $2200. We have an Air, a Pro and IMac, all are well suited to Navigation. We use our Air on board, our Pro for trip and route planning and our IMac for
Lightroom and Photishop.

The air is fine for email, viewing photographs, and everything but very high end photo editing.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:02   #47

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

First of all, I admit I am not very good with any computer system. Like most folk, I've never had any training on how to use these beasts, just switched it on and played around until it produced what I was searching for.
My PC was Win 7 so I had a younger family member who works with PC's on a daily basis, upgrade it from 7 to 10 and have had numerous problems ever since.
Just the mere act of start-up is troublesome. Sometimes it fires up right away, and other times it will go to a black screen and I have to restart it again manually. This happened to me three times this morning on initial start-up ... a real PITA.
When it finally decides to start, It won't always show the icons on the desktop for the few basic programs I use. But if Desktop is on screen, at least I can click on Power and Restart ... other problems are probably due to my lack of understanding of computer systems.
The main problem with computers in my opinion is, the continuing upgrades that tend to have me working more often for the computer than the computer is working for ME!
Oh to go back to a time when life was far more simple ... but then I wouldn't be commenting on CF would I?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:05   #48

They must want you on WIN10 pretty bad,... and for a reason I imagine, I get multiple requests daily.... and a lot of "news blurbs " on how fantastic Win 10 is, that are really advertisements! "Why everyone is switching to Windows 10" etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:18   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I've read some comments about this issue with 10. In my situation I would turn off the internet connection unless I'm in a position to deal with the large updates.

Really annoying that Windows won't let the user control this. $#$%^$@#!!!!
I don't like win10, but it's pretty simple to debloat and take control over by a few scripts:
  1. download and run TRON https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/...add_kb3123862/
  2. then, download and run BlockWindows-Master https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows
After running these two scripts, your windows 10 installation will stop eating your bandwidth, and your privacy will be much better. - the scripts will even make all windows versions from Win7 up to latest w10 more responsive and better suited to use on low bandwidth installations. - If you can't afford to learn Linux, this is the best way for a poor man to have a useful computer on-board your boat.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:22   #50

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
First of all, I admit I am not very good with any computer system. Like most folk, I've never had any training on how to use these beasts, just switched it on and played around until it produced what I was searching for.
My PC was Win 7 so I had a younger family member who works with PC's on a daily basis, upgrade it from 7 to 10 and have had numerous problems ever since.
Just the mere act of start-up is troublesome. Sometimes it fires up right away, and other times it will go to a black screen and I have to restart it again manually. This happened to me three times this morning on initial start-up ... a real PITA.
When it finally decides to start, It won't always show the icons on the desktop for the few basic programs I use. But if Desktop is on screen, at least I can click on Power and Restart ... other problems are probably due to my lack of understanding of computer systems.
The main problem with computers in my opinion is, the continuing upgrades that tend to have me working more often for the computer than the computer is working for ME!
Oh to go back to a time when life was far more simple ... but then I wouldn't be commenting on CF would I?

First off I'm a 70 year old numpty user so not a definitive advisor, but one thing you might useful is to go to WIN10 'settings' click on device/power
and in the menu there scroll to power/sleep then click on additional power settings' Here you can chose to set the power on button to shut down WIN10 properly ( not the same as turn off) the computer, and also closing the lid on a laptop to do the same. These are useful get out of jail options if you cannot find the 'restart' option or it doesn't obey. Most keyboards now have a windows key too which if you press it in 10 will display the start menu and the power off/restart is on the bottom left of that. None of the mouse pointer off the screen corner crap of 8.0. I hope I explained that well enough but it is worth a look because configuring things a little for a dumbo certainly helped me.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:55   #51

Boat: FARR 6000, 21 foot trailer sailer

Quote:
I've read some comments about this issue with 10. In my situation I would turn off the internet connection unless I'm in a position to deal with the large updates.

Really annoying that Windows won't let the user control this. $#$%^$@#!!!!
Skip, move into the current time, and future.
I'm glad I did.
Win 10 is great, I upgraded from 7 and 8, no problems on several computers.
Definitely go for Win 10 Pro, especially when you want to control bandwidth usage. Turn off everything related to cloud storage, W10 can defer updates to when you are shore based. I use 3G\4G a lot when away from home, don't find it a data hog at all.
It is slightly different layout, but not hard to learn, very stable.
I'm typing this on a MS Surface Pro3, I5. 8Gb RAM.
Runs OpenCPN very well as a tablet or laptop, along with other MS based dedicated SAR software. Fast and smooth. MS finally got it right.
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:29   #52

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

As a computer tech, my opinion is that Windows 10 is by far the best operating system to date but you should probably use a program such as driver booster available for free from download.com to update the drivers. Also make sure that the computer specs are suitable for Windows 10 before upgrading. This should avoid problems with drivers.
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:32   #53

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Haven't seen this specific question asked but if I missed the thread feel free to berate me and direct me to the discussion.

Time for a new laptop and I find a lot still loaded with Windows 7 (usually 7 Pro) but most loaded with 10. Will mainly use it for email, browsing, saving some boat files, docs and manuals, an occasional movies and of course OpenCPN.

So which way to go. I hated Win 8 and tiles but a salesman (who was trying to sell me a Win10 laptop so I'm taking what he said with a grain of salt), tells me the tiles are gone and Win10 looks and feels more like Win7.

Another point, seems like each succeeding version of Windows is more of a resource hog than the one before, requiring more power and memory to run. Is that the case with Win10 vs Win7.

Any other issues or questions I should ask.

And before this suggestion pops up, don't think I want to go with some Linux version. I may be wrong but from discussions I see about Linux it requires more time and effort to install, compile, configure, etc and I just don't have the time or interest in getting involved in something like that.
It's like comparing Ford to Chev............ or mono to tri hull, every person has their own opinion. Some will love MS W7, some will hate it. I gave up and am running 10. Have a good buddy who is a geru he installed it, have had no problems in six months and the machine is on 24/7.

Ted
Comox, BC
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:38   #54

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

OSes are always a fun topic.

In the Windows world it is always better to have a "pro" version than a "home" version, regardless of release. With a new computer I expect either 7 or 10 would be OK, after clearing out the clutter and configuring as needed. If shipped with 7 I would take the free upgrade to 10 before the July deadline, but first clone the 7 installation. Then if 10 isn't to your liking you can revert at any time in the future. (Win 10 upgrades do offer a revert feature IIRC but I simply don't trust that will remain.) If reverting then clone 10 first so that it will be available to you free after Win 7 support ends in less than 4 years. As far as dealing with the nagging, install the GWX control panel and peace will return to your life.

M$ is giving away their premier product for free, and is in fact pushing it hard to older computers, so you may want to be a little suspicious. They have not explained their specific pricing for the future (a shady practice IMHO) but have said they are switching to a subscription model similar to Adobe. Shortly after the free upgrade offer ends I expect the announcement of annual subscription fees for security and feature upgrades to be made. You will either pay whatever they demand or have a vulnerable computer - or you will revert to 7 until 2020 if you can or (wisely) switch to Linux. There is also reason to believe that M$ is going to "monetize" your personal information through advertising. Aside from the annoyance it will burden your internet link. Long term I believe that all who can should plan on moving off Windows.

I have used Macs since the Mac Plus (mid-80s) and even today find the user interface and the underlying technology to be superior to Windows. Unfortunately current products can run up to double the price of a Windows box. While functionally similar, few Windows boxes have the design and construction of a Mac. It is a better solution, but at a price.

My next computer, probably this year, will likely be a generic laptop which will get Linux Mint installed. I have been using Mint in a VM for some years now and find it comparable to Windows for the user interface, but superior in the technology. It is no longer necessary to be a geek to use Linux. For those who don't know, Mint is based on Ubuntu and is actually more popular. The great value to Mint is its focus on the user interface, and stability (no chasing design fads, thank you). For the timid, it is easy to either install Mint as an alternative at boot time so as to keep Windows (or OS X) available while testing, or install as a virtual machine with the free Virtual Box inside of Windows or OS X. Also if your computer is getting old, putting Linux on it can give it a new lease on life as the OS is more efficient.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:40   #55

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I wont go into a long sad story about my experience with W7 then W8 and problems upgrading to W10.

Nor will I tell you about an ultimately unsatisfactory relationship with Google Chrome.

But like a wandering lover I recently returned to W10 and so far apart from a few hiccups with the bluetooth mouse everything seems to be honky dory again. There are ghosts of its past flirtation with tiles but on the surface it is the same as good old W7/W8.
Old 22-02-2016, 14:07   #56

Boat: Spacesailer 20

DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 FROM WINDOWS 7!

I have upgraded from Windows 7 on two machines and two from Windows 8. My main machine is a Toshiba i7 Gen 4 with 16GB Ram and it initially was ok, Over time, there have been a number of small problems coming up that are a real problem.
During very high usage multimedia rendering the sound stops working. I have updated the drivers and made other attempts to correct this, but to no avail.
The updates have been too frequent and the OS decides that you MUST update and restart at very inopportune times, even with auto update turned off.
The thing that is the most annoying and the most critical issue is that over time the ability to 'left' click items on the quickstart and status bar stops working. To get it to start working again, a full restart is required. To work around most of the problem of the 'dead click' is to right click and select another path to open the dialog that needs opening.
Having said all of this, there is one very nice function of Windows 10. If your unhappy with it you can roll back to your previous version as long as it is done in a short period after you upgrade. It takes about 8 hours to roll back, so be aware that you will lose the function of your computer for that entire time, so plan accordingly.
In my opinion, enjoy Windows 7 while you can and if you are looking for a NEW Professional PC, pay for Windows 7 Professional. It is still available because many in the IT and finance industry want it. It is the best PC OS out there. Less bugs and you wont be forced to have all of the assorted crap like CORTANA on your system. Once you have removed the unnecessary rubbish from your PC, Microsoft returns it all at the next update. Frustrating.
Have fun!

Old 22-02-2016, 14:12   #57

We have 2 laptops, one on Windows 7, one with 10. I hate Windows 10. Won't use it.

Keeps freezing too.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:17   #58

My opinion for what it's worth. I have a laptop which was running windows 7 fine which I upgraded to 10. It worked OK at first but got slower and slower and my data usage sky rocketed. So I installed Linux Mint and the machine is now blisteringly fast and data usage has gone way down. Depends what you want from a computer but Linux Mint workds well for me and runs just about anything windows will.
SV. Gwenhidwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:20   #59

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
First off I'm a 70 year old numpty user so not a definitive advisor, but one thing you might useful is to go to WIN10 'settings' click on device/power
and in the menu there scroll to power/sleep then click on additional power settings' Here you can chose to set the power on button to shut down WIN10 properly ( not the same as turn off) the computer, and also closing the lid on a laptop to do the same. These are useful get out of jail options if you cannot find the 'restart' option or it doesn't obey. Most keyboards now have a windows key too which if you press it in 10 will display the start menu and the power off/restart is on the bottom left of that. None of the mouse pointer off the screen corner crap of 8.0. I hope I explained that well enough but it is worth a look because configuring things a little for a dumbo certainly helped me.
I have 3 years on you. I only put mine to sleep. I can't find the mouse just as much. May be dumbo or gray matter?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:22   #60

Boat: Spacesailer 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV. Gwenhidwy View Post
My opinion for what it's worth. I have a laptop which was running windows 7 fine which I upgraded to 10. It worked OK at first but got slower and slower and my data usage sky rocketed. So I installed Linux Mint and the machine is now blisteringly fast and data usage has gone way down. Depends what you want from a computer but Linux Mint workds well for me and runs just about anything windows will.
FYI: Might want to check that version of Mint...
Linux Mint hit by malware infection on its website, forum after hack attack | Ars Technica

Tags
wind