Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2015, 09:01   #16

Re: Windows 10 and mandatory updates

I am hearing this worry about being unable to stop updates, for win 10. I can see a problem if using a sat phone/link, but I would think most will be connecting by pactor/HF when in remote locations. On reaching WiFi what's the issue of downloading updates?

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:45   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I am hearing this worry about being unable to stop updates, for win 10. I can see a problem if using a sat phone/link, but I would think most will be connecting by pactor/HF when in remote locations. On reaching WiFi what's the issue of downloading updates?

WiFi in much of the world is very slow.

And more and more cruisers will use sat phones or straight sat Internet. The cost of sat internet will come down compared to other things like sails, fuel and so forth.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 10:58   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
WiFi in much of the world is very slow.
That's a massive understatement
Old 18-07-2015, 11:23   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, great info, & thanks for sharing it.

As a heads up along similar lines, in the last couple of years, I've had multiple, full on nightmare customer service (and hardware) experiences with HP.

I'll skip the details, as I have a couple dozen pages of notes (literally) from dealing with them.
Let's just say, stay away!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 11:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
There's no guarantee they can keep ahead with 10 but it should be a lot harder for bad actors to hack 10.
Can't figure out whether to laugh or cry at this.

Really?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 13:20   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

I have tested windows 10 and hated nearly everything about it.

I am not sure why Microsoft allowed a half baked Windows 10 build to be beta tested by users.

I am happy with 8.1 and I do not want 10. If there is anything 'obligatory' that I cannot turn off, I will definitely not go for 10 at all.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 15:20   #22

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I purchased a new laptop two months ago and it came with 8.1 which I at first really didn't want. I had tested windows 8 by buying a full copy shortly after it came out, had it loaded for a few days and couldn't wait to get it off.

But, once the shop attended took me through 8.1 then I could see it was much better than 8 and two months later I actually like it now.

Of course, if you have Win7 or 8 you won't have to purchase 10 at all. It will be free. I'm expecting six months of hell with it when it first comes out. That's what usually happens.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 16:32   #23

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Another issue with Windows that I see is that it is becoming more and more dependent on having both a connection to, and a presence on, the Internet. With Windows 7, there was no need for an online Microsoft account. On windows 8 this was preferred but not mandatory. I believe on Windows 10 it is mandatory. All very well and good until your PC decides not to work or otherwise play ball because of an inability to "phone home". My now rarely used Windows 8 PC complains profusely about updates and authentication every time I turn it on (once a month or so) which I attribute to the low frequency of Internet connection.

No doubt this dependency can be configured out, but an out-of-the-box install may present issues.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 16:51   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I just read an article
Windows 10 updates to be automatic and mandatory for Home users | Ars Technica

that says that there will be no way to turn off updates on Windows 10. That's going to impact cruisers with limited access to the internet. Trying to download an important email? Please wait while we phone home to Microsoft first, then download 1.2GB of updates...
I "UPDATED" to 7 because XP was no longer supported. Not only do they require updates, You cannot own the new office suit. My old OFFICE will not load by their $$ extraction plan. You must rent it now by the year. I suppose that when it expires while you are at sea, you will be incapacitated. I am so angry with their exploitation of the customer base. What a business plan. I may be going raspberry pie/Linux or re-loading 95, 98, XP and Office. Perhaps Mac. I think I am done with Mr. Gates knows best etc.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 17:11   #25

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I "UPDATED" to 7 because XP was no longer supported. Not only do they require updates, You cannot own the new office suit. My old OFFICE will not load by their $$ extraction plan. You must rent it now by the year. I suppose that when it expires while you are at sea, you will be incapacitated. I am so angry with their exploitation of the customer base. What a business plan. I may be going raspberry pie/Linux or re-loading 95, 98, XP and Office. Perhaps Mac. I think I am done with Mr. Gates knows best etc.
Re Office:

I deal a lot with MS Office of various flavours. IMO, Office 2013 is a classic example of enforcing the "cloud" upon end users whether they want it or not. Furthermore, it is also the most troublesome of all recent Office releases, seemingly suffering a range of gremlins not generally found in earlier versions.

Also don't forget the licensing model has changed. Subscription is indeed pushed, but if purchased outright the license is strictly for a single PC and cannot be transferred forever more to another PC as per the EULA (although this can be gotten around with some hassle). Earlier versions of Office are far less restrictive on use.

My advice if you're stuck with MS Office is to buy Office 2010 or 2007 from Ebay. There's still plenty of unopened genuine versions available at very good prices.

Better still, 99% of users of MS Office do not need to use MS Office. Try one of the many free variants instead like Open Office or Libre Office. Cost is zip and unless you're into macros or documents connected to data sources or MS Access databases or complex MS Office specific documents you'll barely skip a beat in the change over. There's no Outlook, but again plenty of free Email clients abound e.g. Thunderbird.

While your at it, chuck out Acrobat Reader DC. It phones home too, and plenty of lightweight alternatives are available like Sumatra PDF Reader that again will do 99% of what you require without the bloat and phone home "features".
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 17:13   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
My old OFFICE will not load by their $$ extraction plan. You must rent it now by the year. I suppose that when it expires while you are at sea, you will be incapacitated.
OPEN OFFICE

Quote:
Sumatra PDF Reader
Thanks for the tip.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 18:58   #27

Boat: Able 50

Here is a solution that will suit whoever has W7. This only applies if you have not already accepted W10.

The updates giving you trouble are
2952664 and 3035583

Search your updates and delete both. At the same time convert your update system to 100% manual. Both updates will return but at least you can ignore them.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 19:01   #28
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i switched from windows XP to linux mint. booting from a thumb drive to give it a test run really convinced me.
Old 18-07-2015, 19:56   #29

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Writing this on Win8.1. Excellent operating system, much quicker than 7. It required only a modest amount of curiosity to learn.
If you don't like configuring your equipment or don't know what you need, Linux will make tear your hair. That's where Mac comes in..you too can join the digital future......just so long as you don't need interoperability or want to do things your own way...and your willing to pay 4 to 10 times too much to accomplish the same task.
Bashing Microsoft says more about the "Basher" than the operating system.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 20:56   #30

Boat: Catalina 30

I reside in the Dominican Republic. Love it. But internet sucks, to get reliable internet I have to subscribe to an expensive 'by the gigabyte' service. A couple of those MS 10 updates could easily exceed my monthly limit.

I just checked, and my Win 8.1 is waiting to install over 1 gig of updates, just accumulated in the past couple weeks. Can only imagine what a 'brand new' system will need to update!

Was signed up to upgrade, but cancelled, at least until we see that it works.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind