Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2010, 11:13   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Sure, having the instruments at the nav station is handy. But the best location for repeaters is above my bunk. When fronts move through at 2 in the morning I just look up to see wind speed, direction, and depth. Nice!
You're absolutely right. Crap. On passage, too, this would be really great. THe budget for this project keeps growing and growing . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 12:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
But nobody commented on the compatibility between ST40 repeaters and ST60 main instruments. I think (?) it's all Sea Talk; will it work? I can't figure it out from the ST40 manual.

The ST40 repeaters are cheap; if they are compatible and if I do the work myself, I think I could afford wind, depth, speed both at the nav table AND at my bunk -- would be nice!
Old 15-01-2010, 12:55   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Has anybody used the Sirocco instruments from Maximum?

The unit is self-powered so no battery drain.
Maximum also makes other models that also show the wind direction, but they require power to the unit.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 16:54   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Our wind is at the table. Up we have the windex and that's about it. If it starts to blow funny tunes on the rig I would sometimes ask my crew what it is on the screen.

But I have seen many boats with wind both up and down - most boats just use a single graphic display at the nav to save place. Then you have all data on one small instrument.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 17:05   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
put a raymarine chart plotter at the nav station, and you can program it to show any info you want. my E-80 constantly shows depth, wind speed, wind direction, speed over ground, course over ground, and position.
Old 17-01-2010, 20:12   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
put a raymarine chart plotter at the nav station, and you can program it to show any info you want. my E-80 constantly shows depth, wind speed, wind direction, speed over ground, course over ground, and position.
interesting idea. I have a Raymarine RL80CRC at the nav table, but I have not yet mastered it to the extent to know whether it can display such data. I guess I'll have to hit the manual.
Old 17-01-2010, 21:49   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Wow, that's beautiful. A proper little ship's bridge. But can you steer from there? With such a great inside steering station that would be for a cold rainy night's passage.
Thanks for the complement…. We do have inside steering across from the Nav station and I can see the waterline ahead of me at about 60 feet.

Inside steering is great to get you out of horrible weather or whiteout squalls provided you are comfortable relying on the Radar to keep you out of trouble.

The Bridge salon also has good visibility sitting down (about 90 ft) but it is usually my reserve sleeping spot on a wet and windy night at anchor rather than using it underway.

Being “old school” I think the best feature of SG is her excellent visibility from the cockpit as my 5 ft lookout demonstrates here, so we really do spend most of our passage making outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00077brokerage.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	12692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00079.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	12693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Look out DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	12694  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 07:25   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks for the complement…. We do have inside steering across from the Nav station and I can see the waterline ahead of me at about 60 feet.

Inside steering is great to get you out of horrible weather or whiteout squalls provided you are comfortable relying on the Radar to keep you out of trouble.

The Bridge salon also has good visibility sitting down (about 90 ft) but it is usually my reserve sleeping spot on a wet and windy night at anchor rather than using it underway.

Being “old school” I think the best feature of SG is her excellent visibility from the cockpit as my 5 ft lookout demonstrates here, so we really do spend most of our passage making outside.
Very, very nice. A proper little ship. Good vision is so important to pleasant sailing, how lucky you are to have from both inside and outside. Reminds me of a Swan 90 I was on last year. That pilot house would be an excellent, pleasant place to be both underway and not.

I'm not quite happy with that aspect of our boat. The center cockpit is a big plus (higher and further forward) but our dodger is so big and high (mounted above not the coachroof, but a windshield) that I have to stand on cockpit seats to see over it. It provides superb shelter, but reduced vision forward is the cost of that. I may remove it when it warm up; see how that works.

Tags
nav table