Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 17:21   #16

Re: Will GX2200 Internal GPS Antenna Work Under Sailboat Deck

Yes it works. I've had my GX2200 installed below decks on my O'day 37 during my costal passage north from LA. It is located in a fiberglass "cubby" with about 4 inches of space between it and the underside of the deck several feet from the nearest porthole. It picks up fine every time and works great with AIS and GPS. My only complaint with the radio is the AIS CPA (closest point of approach) alarm. When it detects an AIS contact that will have CPA of your set alarm distance it sounds the alarm (as it should.) However if you are several miles from the contact your course may change a degree or two with ocean swell causing the alarm to continually go off even as you are trying to disable it. Every time the alarm goes off you have to start attempting to turn it off from the beginning hoping to finish before it goes off again. A small thing but still...
westernseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 18:26   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Will GX2200 Internal GPS Antenna Work Under Sailboat Deck

Yes. Using just an "emergency" antenna inside the steel and aluminum pilothouse of a sailboat on the hard, I was able to get full function of the AIS...such as it was in Toronto Harbour on a half-frozen April day.

The world encompassed: The new VHF is a MMSI affair
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, deck, gps, sail, sailboat