Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 08:17   #1

WIFI Reception

Cruising in Mexico and need a WIFI extender so that I can receive WIFI reception from nearby resort , often the assigned slip is too far away to get WIFI an you recommend the antenna/gear that I need to enhance my reception.. Thank You... SY Patina, Barra de Navidad, MX
ddefabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:56   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: WIFI RECEPION

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddefabry View Post
Cruising in Mexico and need a WIFI extender so that I can receive WIFI reception from nearby resort , often the assigned slip is too far away to get WIFI an you recommend the antenna/gear that I need to enhance my reception.. Thank You... SY Patina, Barra de Navidad, MX
patina, i am downthe dock from ye.. i have a ralink booster antenna i bought in mexico, and connectify program to make hotspot.. cost was 300 pesos. go to office depot which is in manzanillo near autozone and find items needed or find a reliable computer repair guy to help you find whatyou need here, as it differs from what is available in other places. if someone hooks you up with the items in a list, take it to office depot. you will find many things and receive answers as to how to do these things.
there are different systems you want to choose from. some work, some donot.
i found ralink an d connectify, which is on a disc for your puter, are adequate for here in barra, if you are close enough to the source, which happen to be 5 antennae on the hotel....
i tried googling island time and wirie and the systems that work in caribbean no workee here, ty, mr slim. the sites online are blocked as well, so it is difficult to find the correct parts.
the reason we havent wifi at present is that the hotel just made a new deal with telmex, and the parts are being installed now. as the it guy in hotel hasnt the *(_&(+* to reset the modem occasionally, it is difficult at best to achieve connection. now we have a 1 minuet cycling problem. carlos wont reset modem after telmex messes with antennae.... oh kaaayyy....this transfers thru to my hotspot a swell, so all is gone at present. it worked well before patricia, and has not worked since, worse daily.
and NO we cannot do as is done in caribbean, as mr slim prevents that with and by blocking sites, unless you have a friend who can ship you those parts.
good luck. i been fighting this for 3.5 years now.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 15:10   #3

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Alfa-AWUS036NH-...b+wifi+adapter

With a 15' USB extension for similar circumstances.

Anybody have one of those ? How's it work ?

Any better suggestions in the $50 range ?

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 15:33   #4

in mexico we are limited to what we can use, if buying in mexico.
systems i have seen aside from sat fone services have been via telmex, infinitum, which provides the equipment,
a system purchase able in office depot named d link and another linkysis.....
i am still trying to figure this out. i have been advised that without the modem ftom hotel we cannot obtain connectivity. that limits our equipment choice severely.
ubiquity bullet antennae work fine, but still require connectivity...oncr i have successful system in mazatlan i will update findings.
Old 18-02-2016, 15:55   #5

Zeehag, are you restricted by what you can buy locally or are there local ordinances limiting what types of wifi antennas are used? Wifi wasn't really a option when we were there last time.

How is Barra recovering?
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 16:07   #6

Re: WIFI Reception

barra is ok but still folks without roofs in barrio and colimilla, cihuatlan and some other places. will be next year for fruit..
we are limited by what señor c. slim permits to work here with his secret special wireless systems.
is most flustrating, as it is very difficult to receive.

right now the conversion to fibre optic and increased bandwith is almost half completed and we are all losing patience just when it is needed most.

is inconvenient, yes, but the system will be better when done.
that is GOOD.
Old 20-02-2016, 07:25   #7

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Zeehag--i think u must have some configuration issue, the wifi in Mexico isn't any different than the wifi anywhere else.

Here's what I've observed:
1) When you can get it in a marina or hotel, it's usually over-loaded and slow.
2) Some places use outdated wifi security protocols that are insecure. Some newer equipment won't let you connect to it due to the security issues. Sometimes you can resolve this by using older firmware.
3) Some places will block your device by MAC address. ie: We don't want boaters using our wifi so we'll block the mfg of the most common long range devices.
4) If you've got a swell hitting the boat, it will be tough to keep the connection going. It's a catch 22, if you go with an omni antenna to work in swell, the range will be lower. If you go with a directional antenna, the range is longer but the tolerance to movement is much less.

I haven't had any luck finding wifi gear in PV or Maz, so I'll probably be going home for mine. If you aren't a computer tech type, the best thing I've seen would be the wirie.

The most reliable/fastest wifi is via the cellular networks, at least that's been my experience so far.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 07:46   #8

this particular remotely located resort locale is controlled by telmex, owned by carlos slim.
mexico DOES bave issues different from usa and caribbean.
having been living in different areas of mexico since 2011, i have seen and experienced this first hand, not via reading posts and books on this issue.
this particular locale has been granted 10 gb service for past 1 yr. before tbat, they were allotted 8 gb.
as this area is expanding, population-wise, we DO have different issues than other locales.
mazatlan uses mikrotik
la cruz uses mikrotik
here is infinitum, carlos slims baby.
FINALLY this area has been granted 25 gb service.
this is being i installed all connections changed out and cleaned and towers maintained simultaneously.
fibre optics are being installed and supposedly, this area will have almost decent service again after this is completed. spozed to be 2 more weeks of bs service then a miracle haha ha will occur to create miraculous wifi here.
it worked just fine before patricia, and not at all since she slammed us.
NO this is NOT configuration of my machines and systems, as this worked just fine before the storm came and changed our worlds here.
before slamming someones situation or blaming tbe problem on the user, mebbe you should experience the situation .... life is very different here than in usa, where you are phatly enjoying unlimited wtf service, the likes of which we do NOT enjoy and will not experience.
everything i write is backed by observation and EXPERIENCE.
Old 20-02-2016, 10:20   #9

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
this particular remotely located resort locale is controlled by telmex, owned by carlos slim.
mexico DOES bave issues different from usa and caribbean.
having been living in different areas of mexico since 2011, i have seen and experienced this first hand, not via reading posts and books on this issue.
this particular locale has been granted 10 gb service for past 1 yr. before tbat, they were allotted 8 gb.
as this area is expanding, population-wise, we DO have different issues than other locales.
mazatlan uses mikrotik
la cruz uses mikrotik
here is infinitum, carlos slims baby.
FINALLY this area has been granted 25 gb service.
this is being i installed all connections changed out and cleaned and towers maintained simultaneously.
fibre optics are being installed and supposedly, this area will have almost decent service again after this is completed. spozed to be 2 more weeks of bs service then a miracle haha ha will occur to create miraculous wifi here.
it worked just fine before patricia, and not at all since she slammed us.
NO this is NOT configuration of my machines and systems, as this worked just fine before the storm came and changed our worlds here.
before slamming someones situation or blaming tbe problem on the user, mebbe you should experience the situation .... life is very different here than in usa, where you are phatly enjoying unlimited wtf service, the likes of which we do NOT enjoy and will not experience.
everything i write is backed by observation and EXPERIENCE.
Just trying to help you Z. Maybe you are dealing with infrastructure damage after the hurricanes. I've had no troubles connecting in Turtle Bay, Los Cabos, Muertos, La Paz, Mazatlan, Chacala, and PV. I've connected to Microtik, Infinitium, and everything in between. There is no secret carlos slim sauce, no issue using wifi gear bought in the USA, except for the points I made above (banned by MAC address being the most common)

I'll let you know what I find in barra when I'm there in about a week.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 10:28   #10

nahanni please update when you make your decision as to what you will use.
autumn, then you do know our situation.
this is a gorgeous tourism locale, and FINALLY the area has been granted more bandwidth. YAAAAAYYYYYY.
this has been 3 years coming.
right now we are in MIDDLE of change, with 2 more impatient weeks to wait for improvements. improvements or no, my system will be created to make best of the situation.
my current systemless is based on the nonexistent connectivity of posh hotel.
i want to change this. i WILL change this.
i am still wading thru options as i repair my fuel system and other restorative measures.
i have a friend in maz i will consult with once i arrive back there.
then i will order my new injector pump more easily.
oh yeah...and because of said freeking pump i will still be here right next to hodja on g dock. unless i can get to lagoon with redone 12v system..
yeah. mine is least ugly if the two. i still have 2 masts...for now...mizzen is cane damaged.

marina is barely occupied this season. sad. usually is filled by now.
Old 20-02-2016, 11:13   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Alfa-AWUS036NH-...b+wifi+adapter

With a 15' USB extension for similar circumstances.

Anybody have one of those ? How's it work ?

Any better suggestions in the $50 range ?

Cheers,
JM.
I've had the earlier (1000 mw) version for 10 years and it is still working well. I use a 15' USB cable, and hang it up over the boom if necessary. Rubber band a plastic bag around it for rain protection.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 11:21   #12

i am using ralink booster antenna. 5 miles/10 km rating. HAH
works in lagoon, not in marina.
am using a program called connectify me for alleged unreliable hotspot.
does not work with chromebook nor windoze.
is directional.
was 300 pesos.
needs router n something else i will provide in mazatlan.
will buy somehow a bullet type omni directional antenna prolly via my brother in az.
same the rest of systemless.
in maz i can buy my own service instead of using marina wifi.
might be improvement.
by the time i return here the new system they are installing will be over worked...
i have alpha card system but without card so no workee... donot know where to buy card.
Old 20-02-2016, 12:15   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Without relying on local WiFi, I'd note that a T-Mobile Simple Choice plan (opened as a US account) includes unlimited voice, text, and data service in the US, Mexico, and Canada. If you get coverage there -- and Carlos does big business in and with the US through several company names as well--that might be worth considering. Just not needing to rely on the local hotel's contracts and whims.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 12:48   #14

our issues currently also limit that option.
i carry banda ancha 3g service on two smartass fones for necessary momma notification. .
this is also curtailed when telmex works on the towers, which seems ongoing now.
cell fone service is also suffering, so i am thinking these repairs are much needed.
hopefully this will be repaired in the two weeks guestimated for completion of these changes.
once i can find the correct usa based service provider for my chromebook i will use that, but i would love to unlock it for telcel service, for which i now qualify for contract and 10gb instead of only 3gb per month with prepay
Old 20-02-2016, 15:15   #15

can my mom or bro get me servicein my own name?? or would they need to be responsible party, which is not allowed by me?.
i donot go to usa.

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!

Tags
wifi, reception